Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 6.0L in an excursion 97k turbo back exhaust (no cat), coolant filter, intake, SCT tunes (but have never been run in "race mode") egr delete by sinister and new oil cooler, ficm reman. and new injector wiring harness about 10k ago

hi, so my truck about two days ago has been hesitating or stuttering from 0-6m.p.h and a more noticeable hesitation in the 55-70 acceleration...i have no codes it doesn't smoke doesn't feel like a misfire..its hard to hear the issue but you can really feel it in the throttle...and the tach doesn't skip while issue is occurring ...the only issue is my battery light comes on from time to time (stays on for about 20 mins at a time) i do all regular maintenance on time all ford filters and i use 10w-30 synth.
any tips or help where i should start to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated thanks :please:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just got home with it and it kind of hesitates from 1400-2500 rpm in every gear really just easier to tell at higher speeds

·
Registered
254 Posts
could be an injector going bad.

mine had same issues a few months back, never threw a code, but injector 2 was shot, replaced it and smooth sailing again. however it did start again a few days ago and this time threw a code for injector 4.. back to do another injector for me..

good luck

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Load test your batteries, check your fuel pressure, install the blue spring update if needed.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The hesitation does sound like injectors going bad, but at only 97K I would try a bottle of Hot Shot's Secret in your next oil change. Even if it's something electrical, you'll be able to hold off replacing injectors until the codes actually do show up...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
damn i just changed the oil a couple days before this started ill have to drain some but i got new batteries and new ALT. finally turned my battery light off and put the stock tune on the truck (which was updated in dec. 2011) the best way ive found to feel and hear the hesitation or shutter is in park or idle rev'ed between 1500 and 2400 rpms ...but its really hard for me to call with no codes at all and no smoke

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so blue spring update is in and made a great improvment on fuel pressure but I still have the issue any ideas now??

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
so blue spring update is in and made a great improvment on fuel pressure but I still have the issue any ideas now??
Have you load tested your batteries and checked your ficm? How are you pulling codes?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brand new batteries and ALT. (last week) and the ficm is operating perfect and FI-wiring harness is in perfect shape . im about to go buy hotshots secret right now a shop sells it down the street 69$! (vs.$51) the price you pay for convenience...... but i have an over the counter scanner (only codes that pulled up were one SCT told me always comes up with tuners and the code from disconnecting my batteries sorry i cant remember them off the top of my head and i deleted them and my check engine light has not illuminated this whole time) i just really dont want to pay someone $100 to check my injectors any way i can check functionality myself or should i bight the bullet.......or is there something else i should be checking?????

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
The problem comes in where you are unable to monitor live during the driving range. I understand your ficm was replaced recently, but if you had bad batteries and/or alternator, the likelihood that you damaged your ficm is high. Hotshots/rev-x only helps with initial/cold starts. The ficm check procedure is a good start, but incomplete because others have found problems on acceleration. So your going to spend $60 on hotshots, you dont want to spend $100 on diagnosis (i dont blame you), but a scanguage II can be had for around $150. And i'm not sure the over the counter scanners can handle reading all the codes that our trucks can store. You will never enjoy your truck without a monitor, that is the number 1 reason, why others have become disgusted with the 6.0, and why those of us that come to understand them get them for cheap.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
with the warranty on my ficm it was the first thing i checked because i would have loved it to get remaned again for free but the 100$ diag. doesn't bother me as much as the fact the only shop i would trust to bring it to is booked 3 weeks out(for goo reason) and the dealership for $120 is booked 2 weeks out but i will look into the scanguage II. but the over the counter scanner i use is a 500 older snap-on scanner that gets updated frequently but gives me no options to monitor a lot of cylinder actions and in drive voltages i was told that software would run me near 2 grand but thank you for your advice ill give this until monday and see where i stand ...i have a huge ficm biography to further troubleshoot if thats the case (i have only measured KOEO volt. so far)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Koeo ficm voltage is not enough. Must be checked cranking also. Both ways cold/hot. And through the driving range.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Do you run motorcraft filters and caps?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Where can I order that blue spring update? Easy to do? I am guessing I change that out in the filter housing under the hood? Sorry, didnt mean to hijack, carry on

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Where can I order that blue spring update? Easy to do? I am guessing I change that out in the filter housing under the hood? Sorry, didnt mean to hijack, carry on
Tousleyfordparts.com, yes it's easy, located on the secondary fuel filter housing. Check out youtube.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
always motorcraft filters but im sorry by caps you mean???

blue spring update is very easy and quick just be very careful with that fuel line i've seen so many techs twist it.....hold one nut while you loosen the fuel line nut

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
always motorcraft filters but im sorry by caps you mean???

blue spring update is very easy and quick just be very careful with that fuel line i've seen so many techs twist it.....hold one nut while you loosen the fuel line nut
Oil and fuel filter caps, that screw down.
Very true. About the fuel line.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
so after everything it was injector #4
With a sub standard monitor, and no codes, how did you figure out it was #4 injector?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts