Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done putting heads back on my truck, heads and valves were checked at a shop all good , fired the it up ran for a while then i shut the truck off and restarted and a popping sound started . I figure it's a valve how do I find which valve and what could be wrong?

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Do you have a way to check for codes and if so what codes are being thrown?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
used my sct got one code and it's for the turbo because i put new one 64mm on and don't use the plug that was on the old one

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Could you have a rocker arm on wrong? How long did the truck run?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it ran for about 20 min. the first time then about 5 the second time then the sound started. i don't think i got anything on wrong . as i took each piece out i labeled and layed it on a board in order .

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Does the popping sound sound like it is a backfire?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not really ! sounds more like a camed up muscle car . i took the oil fill cap off while it was running and no air was coming out so i took the hose off the driverside that goes from the cover the air intake . and alot of air was coming out so i'm guessing its on the driverside

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the driverside valve cover off now . turned it over and all the valves look like they are moving the same amount . and the cover smell a bit funny to me .

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Man, this is a tough one but it almost sounds like you need to take your valve cover off and make sure your got all your push rods and rocker arms are positioned properly. Oh another question.... did they cut your heads?

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
check your injectors to make sure you didn't have one come loose. You may have broke an injector hold down.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i Never thought about the injectors . yes the shop had to take .004 off them and the injectors are new 190s when i put the rods down in one on each side had a noticeable amount less play

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nope injectors on driverside are still torqued to 32 pounds

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Make sure all of the injectors are down tight or the hold downs are not broken. If you have someone there who could turn the truck over while you check each injector you would know real quick if they are in tight.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
I have requested that one of our techs come in here and maybe he can give you more help than I have been able to.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the driverside bank are all still at 32 pounds . can i turn it over with the oil rail off without making too much of a mess

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
OH NO! It will make one hell of a mess!

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Have you thought of an exhaust leak? That could possibly make that sound as well.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Thank you Forddieseldoctor for coming in. I am running out of options. I am still wondering about the injectors myself, but that is just me. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the sound seems like its coming from the intake . yes i did have a leak where the uppipe hits the turbo but i got it fixed now and its making the sound . i took the 3 plugs out of the ficm and turned the truck over its still making the noise

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Just out of curiosity where did you get the 32 foot lbs spec from? The factory spec is 24 foot lbs for T40 hold downs and 26 foot lbs for T45 hold downs. Is that the spec that came with the new larger injector? Is the truck noticeably missing or running rough? Does it sound normal when you crank it or does it sound like it's got an odd rhythm to it being caused by low compression on one cylinder? You may have to unplug the fuel pump or remove the ficm relay to get some decent crank time to listen to it. Another thing that concerns me is the fact that you had the heads cut. Did they cut both or just one? There is very close tolerances in the cylinder to start with. Did you crank the motor over so that the dowel pin in the crank pulley was at the 6 o'clock position before installing the heads?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts