Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 6.0 dually in my shop. i took the heads off to have them inspected cuz fuel was gettin into the coolant. well one head ended up having a crack in the injector sleeve. so i bought one head. well now they are tellin me i cant run an uncommonized head with a commonized head so basically i was wondering if i can do that or if ford is just blowin smoke up my butt. any thing you fellas can tell me on this would be great!!!
thanks,
Drew

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have heard of ford only putting one new head on before... Are the surfaces true on the old head that was good?

·
Registered
223 Posts
ford made tooling changes in 06 to get the line ready for the 6.4. They're are some major differences in the heads with bolt sizes and head dowels. there should be a thread around telling you the differences. I believe the thread is 6.4 commonization

·
Registered
223 Posts
here you go

Subject: 2006 6.0L Diesel Power Stroke Cylinder Head Commonization
Effective Date: Ford Production Assembly Plants - January 11, 2006
Kentucky Truck Plant (Super Duty) & Lorraine Assembly Plant (Econoline)
Description
Changes are being made to the 6.0L diesel cylinder head, head gasket, crankcase block, rocker
arm carrier and injector hold down clamps for the 2006 Super Duty and Econoline Program. The
action is taking place to facilitate/communize the International manufacturing process for the
upcoming 6.4L program. The 2006 6.0L used in Ford vehicles after January 11, 2006 are being
referred to as "Commonization Engines".
Part number details are provided on a separate excel spreadsheet.

Figure 1 - New cylinder head
1. Carrier boss bolt holes M10 x 1.5
2. Injector clamp bolt holes (relocated)
The new cylinder heads have several casting changes including a slight injector clamp bolt hole
relocation (2, figure 1) and the carrier boss bolt hole size and location changes (1, figure 1). New
cylinder heads also use 32 mm cup plugs replacing the old 28 mm cup plugs.
The cylinder head gasket is also new to accommodate the new 20mm cylinder head location
dowels. Pre commonization head use 18mm dowels
Note: At this time the new cylinder head assembly is not interchangeable with the previously level
head.

Figure 2 – Previous Level Cylinder Head
1. Carrier boss bolt holes M8 x 1.5
2. Injector clamp bolt holes (original locations)
Note: The previous level cylinder head assembly is not interchangeable with the new head.

Figure 3 - New Block Assembly
The new crankcase (block) uses two 20mm cylinder head locating dowels per head.
The old crankcase (block) uses two 18mm cylinder head locating dowels per head.
Note: The new and old block assembly is not interchangeable. This affects replacement of all 6009
short blocks and the 6010 bare blocks.

Rocker Arm Carrier:
Figure 4 - New Rocker Arm Carrier
Casting changes to the rocker carrier provide increased clearance for new injector hold down
clamps (figure 6). The new carrier also uses only 2 bolts and locating dowels to attach the carrier
to the head.
The new rocker carrier is serviced in a Rocker Arm Carrier Kit which includes the rocker carrier
cover, gasket and necessary dowels.
Note: The new and old rocker arm carrier kits are not interchangeable.

Figure 5 – Previous Level Rocker Arm Carrier Kit
The old rocker arm carrier uses 4 attaching bolts to hold the carrier to the old cylinder head (figure
2).

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im familiar with how the commonizations work i was told that if i put one commonized and one uncomminzed head on that there would be a power balance issue all im tryin to figure out is why i cant do this. appreciate all the help though.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
im not sure about the commonizations not trying to sound like a jack @$$ but which one would be the better of the 2 mine is an 06 im hoping that the 06 version is best???

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
here you go

Description
Changes are being made to the 6.0L diesel cylinder head, head gasket, crankcase block, rocker
arm carrier and injector hold down clamps for the 2006 Super Duty and Econoline Program. The
action is taking place to facilitate/communize the International manufacturing process for the
upcoming 6.4L program. The 2006 6.0L used in Ford vehicles after January 11, 2006 are being

The new cylinder heads have several casting changes including a slight injector clamp bolt hole
relocation (2, figure 1) and the carrier boss bolt hole size and location changes (1, figure 1). New
The cylinder head gasket is also new to accommodate the new 20mm cylinder head location
Note: At this time the new cylinder head assembly is not interchangeable with the previously level
head.

Note: The previous level cylinder head assembly is not interchangeable with the new head.

Note: The new and old block assembly is not interchangeable. This affects replacement of all 6009

Rocker Arm Carrier:
Casting changes to the rocker carrier provide increased clearance for new injector hold down
clamps (figure 6). The new carrier also uses only 2 bolts and locating dowels to attach the carrier
to the head.
The new rocker carrier is serviced in a Rocker Arm Carrier Kit which includes the rocker carrier

The old rocker arm carrier uses 4 attaching bolts to hold the carrier to the old cylinder head (figure
2).
Dang man, Great find:thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
here you go

Description

head.

Rocker Arm Carrier:
to the head.

2).

so it says at this time they are not interchangable? because I just ordered a set of heads with the 20mm dowl pins and my truck had the 18mm stock. the place i bought them from assured me they would work and that all i would have to do is buy dowl reducers from ford.
does anyone know if this is true or am i screwed?

1,023 Posts
Yes you can run the reducers thats what they are in the head gasket set for...

When you do a short block you get to use them for that purpose.

no there shouldnt be any power balance issues beings the heads are FLAT
As for replacing the head for a bad injector cup... Doesnt seem wise. you do know you can replace the injector cup right? Or if the head is cracked around the injector cup yeah i could see replacing...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts