Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m new to all of this but I got a deleted 2005 f250 and new it had a bad oil cooler replaced it the temps seemed normal after doing that but couple weeks later both coolant and oil temps were at 220-230 just driving for about 15 minutes going 50 so got a new water pump and thermostat to see if that made a difference and it didn’t so I’m not sure where to go after doing that

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
If both temps are extremely close all the time, could mean a bad sensor. Left off for 24 hours, before engine start, the temps should be the same, and them coolant temp should climb quicker than oil, but oil will catch up and stay a few degrees above coolant. If you don’t see that could be ECT/EOT sensor pigtail or wiring.

I think the only thing you have left is the fan or fan clutch. CHeck the wires by the fan clutch to see if they’ve been chewed up By the fan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello I’m new to all of this but I got a deleted 2005 f250 and new it had a bad oil cooler replaced it the temps seemed normal after doing that but couple weeks later both coolant and oil temps were at 220-230 just driving for about 15 minutes going 50 so got a new water pump and thermostat to see if that made a difference and it didn’t so I’m not sure where to go after doing that
Do you hear the fan clutch engauge ?

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
At those temps the fan should be roaring -- check the wiring at the fan shroud where it runs to the fan clutch for damage
the thermostat sets the minimum temp for the engine, but the fan(via the pcm) sets the max temp
the temp sensors and fan clutch work to control the engine temp for best efficiency of the engine

A monitor system is a must on a 6.0 -- there are a few to choose from
ForScan for testing and Torque Pro for daily monitoring are two I recommend -- both are inexpensive and work well for these trucks
the BAFX or ODBLink MX+ adapters are also recommended

With these tools you can monitor the temps and fan engagement rpm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I don’t think my fan was engaging I did the “blue wire mod” or whatever it’s called to put a switch on the fan and I do that the fan gets up to speed now and for now it stays around 170-190

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You could put in the 7.3 mechanical fan clutch and adapter like I have, and call it fixed. That doesn’t use electronics to engage. If you do that, you’ll notice temps cooler than they were before. That won’t fix the problem, but certainly will mask it. Your truck, so you can chase this finish or put the clutch in.

I changed my clutch as part of a troubleshooting process to find a squeal. Didn’t work Though. Had the squeal never happened, I’d still be using the original clutch happily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts