Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law has a 04 6.0 and it is idling really rough, has no power and between 45 and 55 it shutters really bad! Anyone have any kind of idea? Truck is stock other than egress delete and oil cooler, tried new fuel and change fuel filters, please help!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Check FICM voltage. Check fuel pressure and if you have good fuel pressure (55-65 psi) then have a cylinder balance test ran and see which injectors are misfiring.

·
Registered
137 Posts
^ nailed it.. Probably bad ficm or just a bad injector.. Could be dirty, but it will take a lot of cleaner to clean it up. More likely just bad. If you post where u are there is someone likely to have a scanner

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you think it's a dirty injector,take the cap off the fuel filter up in the motor,take out the diesel fuel if it doesn't run back down in there should ,FILL WITH SEAFOAM Put filter and cap back on,fire it up let it idle about 3 or 4 mins. turn it off wait 10 mins . fire it up and go run it see if it clears up, if it works some you can do it again or drop a couple cans of seafoam in each take of fuel about ounce per gallon till it cleans them up.
And when is last oil change ,the injectors fire with the high pressure oil,dirty oil could be contributer to problem. DO THE ABOVE WITH A WARMED UP ENGINE.
JER-1

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard that's its the FICM, if I buy one can I install it? I've heard from people I can and I've heard people that I have to have Ford do it because they had to reprogram it? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can buy one from swamps and it comes programmed. I don't know for sure but I think you can send yours off and have it repaired alot cheaper than buying a new one. There is several links on similar threads. Yes the ficm has to be programmed but it should be preprogrammed if you buy it from bpd or swamps. The ficm is pretty easy to change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What are his maintenance habits, specifically oil change intervals/type of oil used? With dirty 6.0 injectors, Hot Shot's Secret is the best cleaning product for the oil side.

(Also contact ficmrepair.com if you're going that route.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts