Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 f250 6.0 crew cab. When I bought it the fuel wasn't working (stuck on E with low fuel light illuminated) they said Ford had diagnosed it being a bad sending unit and parts were already ordered so I went ahead and bought it. Dumb idea I know. 5 days later 2 fuel injectors went out and the only way they would fix it is if I did the sending unit myself. I've just been going off mileage since then. I got the money to fix it so I replaced it and it did not fix the problem. Took apart the dash and after unplugging the cluster and plugging it back in the needle moved up a little maybe 1/8 of a tank then after a minute dropped back off. Tried to shoot the wires at the connecter at the instrument cluster (yellow/white and black/orange from what I've read) and got nothing. My guess is a ground issue or bad wire. I'm not the best with the electronics part but I have a buddy who is but haven't had the time to really dig yet. Does anyone have any ideas or input on it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for all the input guys lots of help... Here's what I've found and I think I've found the solution after reading a thread on google. Anyways here's what I've done. Unplugged te sending unit from the harness on the frame rail and tested it with a multimeter. Read correctly based on the amount of fuel I had so I figure the sending unit's wires and ground is good. Opened the loom and followed the wires as far forward as I could. They go to a connector under the hood and it's 16 wires on the male end and 5 on the female in so it's some sort of junction. I have 2 different wiring diagrams and neither show where the wires go after this. And I can find the yellow/white and black/orange wires on the back of te cluster which is what both diagrams show. But I can't follow the wires from the cluster I lose them behind the dash. So a guy I work with has an 03 6.0L with the same cluster so I took his out and put it in my truck for troubleshooting. Same problem happened. And yes his fuel gauge worked in his truck. What the other thread said was he had the same issue so he spliced the wires and just ran new wire up to the connector behind the cluster and it worked. Is there anything that is being bypassed by doing this other than a bad section of wire? Hopefully somebody has some input now. And hopefully this helps somebody else

·
Island Dweller
1,300 Posts
There maybe some info the PCM is not getting but I don't think it will hurt anything. BTW thanks for posting your fix. Too many times people get their problem fixed and never let the rest of the org know what it was.

Reactions: Joshua Billman

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem. Replaced that section of wire and it works great!

Reactions: Joshua Billman

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im having sort of the same issue with my 05,only it reads 3/8 of a tank when it is real low,have ran out 2 times already,dont know if it is same as your problem?.Is driving me nuts as i dont want to chase my tail trying to fix it,when i fill the tank it moves up with the level of fuel,is just stuck at 3/8 when it goes down,any ideas? Harvey

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Im having sort of the same issue with my 05,only it reads 3/8 of a tank when it is real low,have ran out 2 times already,dont know if it is same as your problem?.Is driving me nuts as i dont want to chase my tail trying to fix it,when i fill the tank it moves up with the level of fuel,is just stuck at 3/8 when it goes down,any ideas? Harvey

Sounds like your fuel pick up foot broke off. Time to do the hutch mod.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like the sending unit. It's not hard to do and doesn't take too long. You'll need to drop the tank or jack up the bed a little to get to it. You have to pull it to test it correctly. If you pull it out and use a multimeter and test the resistance on it. Test it while you move the float arm from full to empty. I'll try to find you the range I don't remember it. But there should be no dead spots in it. If you decide that it's bad I have one. I'll sell it cheap. Cheapest one I found when I did mine was $285 on amazon. I'll sell it for $100 if that. Let me find you the ranges and I'll get back to you. Let me know what you find

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just re read that post. Yea it sounds like the pick up foot broke off. It's still part of the sending unit though

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys lots of help... Here's what I've found and I think I've found the solution after reading a thread on google. Anyways here's what I've done. Unplugged te sending unit from the harness on the frame rail and tested it with a multimeter. Read correctly based on the amount of fuel I had so I figure the sending unit's wires and ground is good. Opened the loom and followed the wires as far forward as I could. They go to a connector under the hood and it's 16 wires on the male end and 5 on the female in so it's some sort of junction. I have 2 different wiring diagrams and neither show where the wires go after this. And I can find the yellow/white and black/orange wires on the back of te cluster which is what both diagrams show. But I can't follow the wires from the cluster I lose them behind the dash. So a guy I work with has an 03 6.0L with the same cluster so I took his out and put it in my truck for troubleshooting. Same problem happened. And yes his fuel gauge worked in his truck. What the other thread said was he had the same issue so he spliced the wires and just ran new wire up to the connector behind the cluster and it worked. Is there anything that is being bypassed by doing this other than a bad section of wire? Hopefully somebody has some input now. And hopefully this helps somebody else
What wires under the dash did you splice to? Where exactly are they located?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for posting, I have the same issue 2006 f350 6.0. I did ohm testing everything checks out. Ran a volt test and I have no ground reading on the black and orange wire at the cluster. Did you splice/add a ground wire from the pcm to the cluster?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts