Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about ecm and ficm tune strategies. Some people claim certain versions are better than others. I use to have an atlas 40 tune but it got erased when bulletproofing. I am considering a ficm tuner so I can switch back and forth from towing to racing. I hear the term roll back. Is that something I need to do before buying the ficm tuner?

My truck is a 2005 f250. When I plug in my SCTX3 under vehicle info VXCF4HJ & TQCK0H2 come up.
But under device info VXCF9DB comes up. I am currently on a TSD SPD race tune.

Just trying to squeeze some more power out of the truck.

Thanks
Booyaa

·
Registered
237 Posts
You are aware that FICM tuning and ECM tuning are seperate things correct?

Your SCT doesn't tell you anything about your FICM tuning and has no ability to tune the FICM

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes. just trying to understand why people were doing strategy roll backs.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
This is the gist of a rollback...

"As to the whole rollback process itself, we started offering it because of the problem with loss of performance and economy due to dealer updates. Truck owners would drive into Ford for a minor service and leave with a completely different running truck, in most cases with both performance and fuel economy in the toilet. Reflashing the FICM offered some improvement, but quite by accident we found that the later ECM reflashes were also a problem and we started offering ECM rollbacks since Ford was obviously not in a position to offer any assistance. We found the VXCF7xx, VXBC7xx, and VXAP1xx based strategies to be the worst offenders with VXCF9xx, VXBC9xx, and VXAP2xx offering some improvement over the prior release. "

I had the PHP tuner and loved it. FYI if you run the hercules tune, you'll wanna tone back your SPD tune as the herc tune runs hot. I typically left mine on the 40 and called it a day.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
237 Posts
I believe there was a strategy out a long time ago where Ford was trying to speed up warm up and help with cold starts so they were sending extra juice to the FICM. That added strain was killing FICMs left and reight so they were rolling them back to previous strategies. That's the only time I've heard of people rolling them back. Otherwise all you hear about is guys getting the Atlas 40 or some other similar FICM tune.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Or what jman said lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is the gist of a rollback...

"As to the whole rollback process itself, we started offering it because of the problem with loss of performance and economy due to dealer updates. Truck owners would drive into Ford for a minor service and leave with a completely different running truck, in most cases with both performance and fuel economy in the toilet. Reflashing the FICM offered some improvement, but quite by accident we found that the later ECM reflashes were also a problem and we started offering ECM rollbacks since Ford was obviously not in a position to offer any assistance. We found the VXCF7xx, VXBC7xx, and VXAP1xx based strategies to be the worst offenders with VXCF9xx, VXBC9xx, and VXAP2xx offering some improvement over the prior release. "

I had the PHP tuner and loved it. FYI if you run the hercules tune, you'll wanna tone back your SPD tune as the herc tune runs hot. I typically left mine on the 40 and called it a day.
I’ve been running the spd and the herc tune since I bought my truck- roughly 15k miles
I have a full bulletproof, coolant filtration, fitings, blue spring, iand 4in dp to 5 in exh

Did you notice any issues with the combo? I love it on my dually, butI always end up having to let off due to egts, If I get under the turbo the fuel pressure can get a little scary for a split second

Truck is a 2006 F350 Lariat Dually with 100k

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Both my trucks were studded and deleted too but I personally wouldn't run a tune that hot with the Hercules tune, the Hercules tune is already hot enough without adding more stress from a performance tune like that. I typically ran that with trans tuning only or a tow tune.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Both my trucks were studded and deleted too but I personally wouldn't run a tune that hot with the Hercules tune, the Hercules tune is already hot enough without adding more stress from a performance tune like that. I typically ran that with trans tuning only or a tow tune.
Good to know, how did the Herc preform on a tow tune? I have Gearheads ultimate tow tune but have yet to load it up

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
It was fine, still provided good power down low. I only ran Gearhead tuning, it's what worked best on my trucks.

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,512 Posts
Running a hot ficm tune paired with a race pcm tune can actually make you drop horse power due to the ficm and pcm "arguing" per say. Most ficm strategies have inductive heating enabled, but some strategies have it enabled up to 180+° which entirely too much time. Ford dropped the heating time by disabling it at 149° in other strategies, which in my opinion is still way too long. This is the reason for people switching strategies. Inductive heating for a long period of time can heat up the ficm power board and eventually break/melt the solder joints which will cause a drop in FICM voltage.

I would recommend a throttle response tune if you're going to be running hot pcm tuning. I would also recommend reducing the amount of time inductive heating is enabled to lengthen the life of the FICM. My tuning shuts inductive heating off at 80° unless requested otherwise. If you're stiction is bad at 80° heating is just a bandaid IMO.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Purchased a ficm tuner. I am running the atlas 80 and tsd spd tune. The truck is my daily. I did feel a small increase in power. Haven’t got to do any mpg calculation yet cuz of my heavy foot. Egt’s do climb quick up grades and it does smoke a bit if you get down on the throttle..Thats all ive tried so far. Looking forward to try it out with the trailer on eco or the 40

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,512 Posts
Definitely try atlas 40. I think you'll be happier with that one.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts