Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
I'm going to knock out another plate with the stock I have and weld it up to see if it's a viable design, but not heading to the farm for a few days (welder).

Reactions: Heavy_GD

·
Registered
9 Posts
This progress is awesome. I was playing around with an idea of having the hook eye be able to rotate parallelwith the engine to allow the user to decide the tilt of the engine. Thoughts on that idea?

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Expensive. Hartwig in Germany made one. It's why they lost the war.

The point Hydro made is a good one; use a come-a-long or ratcheting strap nose to boom to adjust the angle, inexpensive and easy. Where I had my 8020 aluminum bars when I pulled my engine was close to neutral, nose down when free.

I think about $8 of an aluminum bar from eBay and a $10 eyelet.

A remote-controlled electric winch on the lift so I could work it while directing the engine.

Attachments

·
Administrator
32,120 Posts
i have over a hundred feet of that T Slot Aluminum Extrusion .
I demolished a cell phone store and many of the displays were made of this stuff
I was alone other than 2 laborers , it killed me to trash most of this stuff due to time constraints but the sticks I did save I would never trust for much over a shelf bracket or setup jig
I don't care what the documents say , I know the stuff I did not have time to unbolt I could snap the bolts out of the tracks and disassemble that way
i still have a lot of it with the torn out t bolt areas

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Then it probably was not the 8020 stock.

Well before I used it I setup the test at the farm, lifting the weight on the FEL, then driving all around the farm bouncing it around for 15 minutes. So it not only handled the weight statically, but dynamically as well with shock loading with no distortion or yielding.

I trust engineering, but I test to verify as well.

·
Administrator
32,120 Posts
I have trust issues ;-)
the extrusion I have was not marked in any way so there was no way for me to compare it but regardless I trust mild steel and my welds as a minimum
plus that extruded is more time consuming imo but to each there own I just had to add my 2 currencies

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
No, that's cool. I'd never put anything out in public that I didn't have confidence in and tried. Never.

The alloy that 8020 uses has almost the same yield strength as A36 steel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That Hartwig unit is very nice but way heavier than we need. What if we use the guts of a scissor jack(typically free at salvage yards)and some plate steel to make one similar but with shorter arms?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Good idea, not what I would do for the concept, though.

Prototype #2. Lower and more the lift point where I picked mine up with the 8020 bars.

Reactions: LindenBruce

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
That Hartwig unit is very nice but way heavier than we need. What if we use the guts of a scissor jack(typically free at salvage yards)and some plate steel to make one similar but with shorter arms?

Like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha, uh no! The all metal ones but the guts of that one would likely still work as they are steel. I'll try to mock one up this weekend. The key is if I can keep the operation of it within the footprint of the mount to keep from damaging anything around it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If someone has a good one and is willing to get me some kind of measurements as I have seen here. Will see what the owner of the company I work for will do it for. I work for a company that has laser bend machine and welding equipment as we make conveyor fan and store fixtures. Would be willing to do for his cost as someone would be doing the work of drawing.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Jack is your motor still out?

I recall you doing yours when Dexter and I had ours out a few years ago?

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
God yeah. It's about the lowest priority I have in life. I could have it back in within a few days if I really needed wanted to, but what fun would that be. But, of course, then I'd have to start working on the Northeast body rust. So right now, I get to trim acres of Christmas trees in 95º weather over a few weeks; how could I pass that up.

I should have just towed it off and moved on. But I was soooo PO'd at Ford.

Reactions: joe blow

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
PSE Houston got back to me, no rental program and wanted $250/ea to buy. Lots of great information here, looking forward to further developments. I would be happy to be the first to rent (and send lots of beer money) if someone builds!!! Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Why do all these vendors come up with a price like that? The ones the eBay seller had used a lot of steel, but to me, it was still overpriced. The same is true with the head lifting brackets, although what I did would freak out ZMANN.

I thought xstroker said in the thread he was sending you one.

Tonight when I get home from the farm I'm going to place all the heads and components on my motor to see what I have as far as a neutral lifting point with the engine. Following that, I'll weld up a different version I'm thinking of and do the same to see which I like better. Then I can get back to you.

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
I have worked with, and even fired engineers who worked for me, who have a degree not worth the paper.

I’ve worked with mechanics who were better than degreed engineers, one who is an icon in the auto industry, and yet, never finished high school. It depends how you are wired, and having common sense.

The person who designed that jack, and more importantly, his supervisor, is probably working in trim right now. At Chrysler. One can only hope, although may have gotten a promotion for saving money.

The biggest FUBAR I’ve ever encountered was the initial launch of the Escape. We had one of the first production units in the test fleet and we could not believe how many TSBs and recalls that thing had. For things like the driveshaft and sway bar. How the hell do you screw those things up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If someone comes up with a good one can see how much I can have it done for. Now need a sketch drawing with hole placement (good numbers). Getting busy now but maybe able to get it done.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts