Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Nice pics, Jack, thanks for the details

I would prefer to have the balance point biased toward the rear of the engine some, then use a come-a-long on the front to allow the engine to tilt as needed -- to help with alignment.
Agreed, and why I said earlier, "It's doesn't have to <be> as far of a lead to the front, nor as high." This prototype will get reworked before its first use.

Using the 8020 aluminum with the eyebolt set behind the first row of bolts actually was quite neutral.

Or if I do make them, they just maybe these.

There is another cheaper and simpler way to do this—twin lifting eyes with a 3/4" steel bar (not all-thread) across.

The bar would have to be pinned on the ends and tube spacers inside to keep the hook where it should be. That can even be PVC; it would not be taking a load. I prefer shimming the eyes so there can't be side loading of the threads when torqued down, as I did, using the washers of different thicknesses in this image. For those not familiar, rigid lifting eyes should not have side loading, although it's said the shouldered ones could up to 45º. I cringe with that. Each eye has a lift rating of more than a fully dressed engine @950lbs. So the eye already has its own safety factor, along with the 2x of twin eyes.

I bought the inside thread versions and used 8mm bolts cut down into studs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Thank you toomanytoys! Unless you want to do it I'll make some up and rent them for $10 plus shipping both ways and a deposit to cover remaking if it never gets returned. Would welcome any thoughts!
My head was at $20-25 as a fair rental. It would take me more in labor cost because I'd band saw the plate up. You have to provide the clearance for the plates in front and back as most people would not remove them to clear the deck for a square plate. Go for it if you want to.

There's no reason for some to do rape and pillage.

·
Administrator
23,314 Posts
Thank you toomanytoys! Unless you want to do it I'll make some up and rent them for $10 plus shipping both ways and a deposit to cover remaking if it never gets returned. Would welcome any thoughts!
CAUTIONARY ADVISORY

We advise all prospective buyers (or sellers) to be aware that this is a new member, with one post, so please proceed with caution.
This in no way reflects on the integrity of the member.
It is a standard notice we put in for these members buying or selling items of substantial value.

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
You know, I didn't even look at that. Thanks for the cautionary warning, as that situation has hurt people. Not saying it will in this case, but be forewarned.

Reactions: Heavy_GD

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can absolutely appreciate caution and would do whatever as a means for approval. Just wanting to build one for myself and while building one I can build 3 or 4 without much added cost. I've lurked for a long time but just recently felt that I could provide help to a few or many so signed up. I in no way want to break any rules or give the feeling of deception. As you said the 10 bucks is just to cover packaging as USPS and UPS pick up from my business. I'm going to build them and then if there is no interest I will have some additional paperweights. Let me know if there is any way to ease the minds out there. Go so far as to send one to corvettekyle to test, give feedback and hopefully return.

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
You should have taken a picture and posted it up.

·
Administrator
32,120 Posts
Make the deposit a decent price and you may be making more and more to fill the place with the non returned units ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Yes.

Your caught up in the mess of bad actors coming to the forums. When I was constructing power cords for my audio world the DIY forum I was typically in was no problem, everyone knew me. But it was a DIY forum, so not much demand. Going to another forum where guys had trouble using a screw terminal, it took some time to develop the post count and familiarity to sell those. That got old fast. You build a 40” cord, someone realizes they needed 42”, and then asks you to splice in 2”. Yeah.

Or asking to reduce the length for no charge and free shipping after they move the rack. I didn’t mind doing the reduction for free, if they were that OCD, but pay for the shipping.

• Wow

·
Registered
06 6.0 drw 635 rwhp (retired) 08 KR build in progress
221 Posts
I have access to a cnc plasma table I could pop the pieces out easily and weld them up, I figure their would be more renters than buyers since most only plan on doing the job once. If someone wants to get something going I’m down to help fellow members out. It would be easy to cut on the table once a design was finalized for lift bracket. My engine stand plate was easy I made it by hand but could cut additional ones out. I used a Kubota tractor rear side link on the front side to brace the opposite side of engine and take load off my plate. I modified the one end to saddle the engine stand, put a bolt through the opposite end then just turn the link to set the amount of lift desired on engine. It’s working well with a 1k lb harbor freight stand. It’s been on there for several months in various stages of assembly. I set the turbos on yesterday to fab my wastegate setup.

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
I contacted my steel supplier this morning and got pricing to have the base plates cut to shape, it's not bad - about a $4 upcharge on the steel. Any of us could do this for a resonable cost. Probably low enough that renting would not make sense due to double shipping ($12 each way ????).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hell, for that cost ship me one. It would not be worth the hassle to make the bottom plate myself. After trimming the plate and locating and drilling the holes. I have lots of scrap where I could cut and make a vertical three hole plate to weld onto it for lifting. B.

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Not $4 for the plate, $4 charge for each plasma cut. And I still have to drill the four holes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok, So 4 bucks to laser out the outline of the base plate? Of course the cost of the metal needs to be added in. And shipping. BUT, they won't laser the bolt holes for that four bucks? That is an additional cost of what? I can drill my own holes easily enough. B.

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
I didn't add the holes to the drawing for the cut because I wasn't comfortable with how that would come out. But I've looked at some of his other work and will ask for another quote having him add the holes and add a hole in the other plate for a hook.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts