Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only thing different than my Sig is I just did the sinister egr delete and new oil cooler. 55k original miles on the truck. Anyway, I made a video of this knocking sound. I have listened to two 6.0's and neither of them have this knocking sound. IMG_0481 - YouTube

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also run 5w-40 rotella syn and i currently have two bottles of rev-x in the oil. I also use diesel kleen every tank. I did however get a p0611 code from my sct tuner . If you look at my scan gauge it shows 48v on my ficm. It will fluctuate while driving from 48 to 44 off and on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:bump: Have not found the cure yet.

·
Registered
454 Posts
sounds fine to me

·
Registered
48 Posts
My truck has the same knocking noise,can't find it yet,had it at the dealer when still had warranty and they said it was normal(i don't think so)still looking..just installed blue spring upgrade no difference in noise but has more top end..sounds like it is coming from the bell housing in the trans(i put a stethoscope on the whole engine and the only abnormal noises are on the icp sensor and the transmission bell housing)can try that the pinging is the loudest on the bottom of the bell housing no were else on the engine(except the icp sensor on the pass side valve cover.
Clay

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Sounds just like my 07 :dunno:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Sounds like a 6.0 :dunno: I thought I was hearing some kind of knocking noise on the passenger side of mine, then I decided I was paranoid and as long as the damb thing is running, I'm not gonna worry about it. I know where your comming from though, every noise I hear makes me :crazy:. Unless the audio wasnt picking it up, I really didnt hear anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I worked at a dealership for a few years. I wish I had a $1 for every time someone brought a vehicle in with a "noise". There were several times that I wanted to write "It's a 4x4 truck, turn up the radio and be glad that's the only noise you have"..but I didn't. This sounds normal to me. Some diesel's have a little bit of a fuel knock, that might be what you're hearing.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would worry more about why your degas bottle is so full..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would worry more about why your degas bottle is so full..
I just did the egr delete and i filled it up to the MAX line after draining all the coolant and adding ELC-1 coolant. Where should it be at ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a 6.0 :dunno: I thought I was hearing some kind of knocking noise on the passenger side of mine, then I decided I was paranoid and as long as the damb thing is running, I'm not gonna worry about it. I know where your comming from though, every noise I hear makes me :crazy:. Unless the audio wasnt picking it up, I really didnt hear anything out of the ordinary.
I hear it. I never had this knock until i deleted my egr last month. I just ordered the 58v ficm from Swamps since mine is only showing 35volts at startup.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know that a diesel is gonna be loud but there is something knocking on this engine. Every 6.0 that i have heard running in the past few days sounds steady and smooth, mine sounds like a frickin woodpecker working overtime. Maybe its just not loud enough on the video.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
My truck made the same sound for 30k miles then one-day #4 injector just quit. Had a new one put in last week. It's never made that sound again. So my thought is that #4 must have been real noisy for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
My truck made the same sound for 30k miles then one-day #4 injector just quit. Had a new one put in last week. It's never made that sound again. So my thought is that #4 must have been real noisy for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
I was kinda thinking maybe a bad stick...Idk couldn't hurt to have it scanned and see if any are out of line

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just did the egr delete and i filled it up to the MAX line after draining all the coolant and adding ELC-1 coolant. Where should it be at ?
In the photo it looks like the entire degas bottle is almost filled to the top.. Anyways The low level mark on your degas bottle is the new MAX level mark. Dont fill it past that point. Your new LOW level mark is about 1" below the Low level on your degas bottle. There was a TSB for this.. My trk had a sticker put on the bottle to show the new level marks.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
The degas bottle only gets filled to the min line.

As to your tick its an injector. What kind of oil you running in that thing?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
5w40 rotella syn with two bottles of revx. My ficm is going out also. I just ordered a new 58v ficm from Swamps.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I hear it. I never had this knock until i deleted my egr last month. I just ordered the 58v ficm from Swamps since mine is only showing 35volts at startup.
Maybe the FICM will help if its an injector making the noise. Did you order one with the mild performance tune? Also, like Dave said, your oil condition can be a contributing factor to injector noise. Mine still shows as low as 42 on startup. Of course, thats when the glow plugs are on and battery volts are drawn down to 11.5v. The batteries, alt, injector harness are all brand new :dunno: Hope you get it figured out. I know these kinda things bug the crap out of me, but I have OCD :rofl:

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
5w40 rotella syn with two bottles of revx. My ficm is going out also. I just ordered a new 58v ficm from Swamps.
Your FICM is going out?

Congrats you just identified why you hear that noise.

How old are your batteries? If they are more than 4 yrs old replace them.

If they are less you need to properly load test them and replace if necessary.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts