Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 6.0 w/ 39k- A couple days ago the check engine light came on. Truck was running like crap, blowing black smoke. Code was the EGR, took it out cleaned the crap out, seemed to fix it, no problem. I drove it yesterday and it was fine all day.

This morning I ran it about 30 miles to a job, then about 20 minutes later had to run out to get something. It was pouring white smoke out baaaadd. Big cloud behind me. It started overheating a bit, so I let it cool off, then added some water to the tank. It was about 2 gal low.

Now it seems fine again- no smoke, but I'm still nervous. Should I take it in?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My dad's cooler also went up towing a trailor in his 07 6.0. the dealership said it was a common problem with the 6.0's. It was overheating and tons of white smoke was pooring out of the exhaust, sounds like the same exact thing that happened to you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yep the ole EGR cooler has busted probably needs oil cooler to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dropped it off at the dealer this afternoon. We'll see what they say. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: I picked it up from the dealer and all they did was reprogram the PCM and pressure tested the cooling system. All is well-?

I explained to the service rep when I dropped it off all the above in the 1st post, and all he wrote down for the tech was- "intermittent check eng light, white smoke, loss of coolant"

It seems fine now, but it also hasn't blown a bit of white since i added coolant. :doh:

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
I would go to another dealer and tell them to check the EGR and Cooler, If they don't change anything you souldn't be out any $$.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah that sounds fishy. If it smokes even a little bit again take it back immediatly and have it checked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the smoke is back, bad as ever. Drove it yesterday with no problems, until I was on the way home. Temp was normal, no smoke/steam, but it was losing power. I was almost home, limped it back.

The coolant was low again this morning. I filled it, it was hard to start, runs like crap as if it's not on all cylinders. There was a huge steam cloud blowing out the tail pipe, and there is a steady stream of water leaking out of the muffler. I'm getting a tow truck to haul it back to the dealer.

Would the EGR cooler dump coolant into the exhaust like that? Would it make it run bad?

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Well, the smoke is back, bad as ever. Drove it yesterday with no problems, until I was on the way home. Temp was normal, no smoke/steam, but it was losing power. I was almost home, limped it back.

The coolant was low again this morning. I filled it, it was hard to start, runs like crap as if it's not on all cylinders. There was a huge steam cloud blowing out the tail pipe, and there is a steady stream of water leaking out of the muffler. I'm getting a tow truck to haul it back to the dealer.

Would the EGR cooler dump coolant into the exhaust like that? Would it make it run bad?
Oh yeah. When mine went, I could have killed every mosquito here in Bloomington! :hehe::hehe::hehe: I had a blown EGR cooler and head gaskets. Get it back in there and don't let them feed you a line of BS saying they reflashed the PCM and pressure checked the system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 04 6.0 started doing the same thing. When pulling my toy hauler, it started to overheat and blow white smoke out the exhaust. I had been losing water for a few weeks with no sign of where it was going. It is in the shop now and I got a call today that the EGR cooler was bad. If that did not fix it, they are going to check the head gaskets. The service manager stated that it probably is both the cooler and gaskets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to the dealer yesterday. They said EGR cooler, no mention of head gaskets. Said they would have to keep it at least through the end of the week.

·
Registered
119 Posts
They better be backed up with work. Thats a long time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They said that they had to check in with Ford in diagnosing it- check this check that, call Ford and wait for an answer from them before proceeding. -? They said they were trying to get me done ASAP, but they said it's a lot of work, pretty invasive. I dunno. :dunno:

Where is this cooler? How involved is replacing it?

Here's the real kicker for me- Has the new cooler they are installing been upgraded so it won't fail later?

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
FREE :bump: for subscription

Keep us informed

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
They said that they had to check in with Ford in diagnosing it- check this check that, call Ford and wait for an answer from them before proceeding. -? They said they were trying to get me done ASAP, but they said it's a lot of work, pretty invasive. I dunno. :dunno:

Where is this cooler? How involved is replacing it?

Here's the real kicker for me- Has the new cooler they are installing been upgraded so it won't fail later?
The cooler is on top of your engine. It's not a real involved process, but they do have to pull the intake manifold to replace it. It's number 2 in the diagram below. These EGR coolers are notoriously weak, but they have not updated the design...

·
Registered
119 Posts
They fail more than I like to know. 9 times out of 10 they dont fail again but it happens. It takes about half the day if nothing goes wrong but som,etimes it does.

They do have to get prior approval from ford now before replacing EGR cooler Oil Cooler Turbo and HP pump. That takes 30 mins to get the word back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So, it takes half a day to replace, even if they had issues and it took twice as long- I had it towed over there Sunday, called them yesterday (Thurs) and they are saying it'll be Monday before they finish. They blame having to check in with Ford for it taking so long.

Oh well, at least my other trucks run fine. 03 F450 7.3, just turned 100k miles, 01 F550 7.3, 140k. It's just more hassle juggling my workers around, sharing rides. Those 2 trucks have been pretty bulletproof though.

Edit: Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just went by the dealer, happened to be in the area, expected to see it through a bay door, a work in progress is what they've been telling me all week.

Nope, it was sitting outside, left UNLOCKED for the whole 3 day weekend. I popped the hood, looked like nothing had been touched. I mean, I understand they had to diagnose it and get approval, but they made it sound like they had it in pieces all week. "It's pretty involved, a lotta work, blah, blah..." Now I'm just PO'd. I bet they won't be done Monday either.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts