Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. I have been having issues with my 2004 6.0l. Hesitation while accelerating, some black smoke under acceleration. Recent posts have suggested EGR being dirty. Can I replace this myself? Do codes need to be cleared once I have done so? Does it have to be reprogrammed after changing?

Thanks for everyones help with my recent issues. Alan

·
Registered
50 Posts
you can do it your self. You need a 10 MM wrench/socket and rachet. Pull the two bolts that hold it down. Then with a large pliers gently pull up on the EGR. When you clean it be carefull no to damage the o-rings or gasket.

to clear the codes you will need a scan tool and the new EGR does not need to be reprogramed.

Good luck feel free to PM me if you need any more help

Martin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have any equipment to clear the codes. I presume a dealer would have to be involved??

·
Super Moderator
13,238 Posts
do you have an Autozone nearby? you can go to Autozone and they will have a scan tool that can clear the codes. let me take a quick pic of my EGR and ill PM it to you so you know what you are looking for.

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
did my dads yesterday. the stealership only wants 7 $ and some change for the gasket kit. purchased 3 kits. one for dad, one for me, one for buddy.only took about ten minutes. by the way, I LEARNED HOW TO DO IT FROM THE ORG!!!!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
upgraded egr valves

International has come out with an upgraded egr valve for the 6.0 powerstroke that is supposed to stop the coking problem. I hope it does had mine installed at the stealership tuesday mine had to be cleaned every 300 miles or so or it wouldnt move out of its tracks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts