Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have ben looking at removing the egr & cooler. i've seen kits aval, river city as well as kits on ebay. also i've seen delete kits from first coast diesel performance that weld up the intake. i've also read where people just plain ol unplug the egr and remove the throttle body flap.

my question is which is a better way to go becides the $300 difference in the delete kit and intake swap? also on a january 2004 build date will i be throwing egr codes or any thing else?
any advise would be great.

779 Posts
you should throw a code being an 04 model year. if you want to do it right and without issue down the road eitther the complete modified intake, or or a delete kitt would be ok. your choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just completed mine...

04 6.0 built in late 03...
I've always had trouble with the egr that they couldn't fix. I removed the butterfly and disconnected the egr valve years ago and have lived with the engine light on ever since. I check the codes every once in a while.
The egr cooler started to leak and Ford wants 21 hours plus the cost of the cooler to replace it. I decided to delete the egr and bought one of the kits. Not much to the kit for what you pay for it but it's still cheaper than the cooler.
It took 7 hours, a dent in my stomach from the hood latch and 4 quarts of brake cleaner to clean the almost totally coked up intake manifold.
What a difference, a brand new truck, it's quieter, more efficient and more powerful. I'd recommend this to anyone, even if you have to pay someone to do it.
I'm too cheap to buy the tuner to turn off the engine light so I'll just keep checking the codes every once in a while. I've never really been in love with the truck but will keep it unil it dies, I do or the price of oil goes over 100 again, which may be sooner than later.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I used the delete kit from Liberator. It just takes time and a sore body from leaning over the engine. Everything bolted up perfect. What a difference in the EGT's. Well worth the $ and time.

·
Registered
792 Posts
SINISTER DELETE EGR look on e-bay or do a search here. got mine for 225.00
Make em a lowball offer they will come back higher.Then offer 225.00 you should be able to get it for that also unless they were just in the X-MAS sprit.
JER-1
:icon_ford:
:thumb:

·
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6
2,261 Posts
i got the RCD delete and so far so well, good quality and good service when you call 'em. :thumb:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Go with something with a solid up pipe. I got the elite one and within the month, my up pipe was cracked. They told me that they have never heard of that happening before and it was probably instalation error....yeah right. Anyway, I got a solid up pipe from liberator and it had been great ever since. Check out the sinister one though, for the price you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I used RCD. The sinsiter is a Copy of the RCD but the only difference is the pipe i think. The guys at RCD are very friendly and more then happy to help you out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
SINISTER DELETE EGR look on e-bay or do a search here. got mine for 225.00
Make em a lowball offer they will come back higher.Then offer 225.00 you should be able to get it for that also unless they were just in the X-MAS sprit.
JER-1
:icon_ford:
:thumb:
$260.00 is his bottom dollar these days...

·
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6
2,261 Posts
mine doesn't have a visible check engine light , but with a good scan tool it still says theres an EGR fault

·
Registered
255 Posts
They (sinister) are blocking offers of less than 260 now. I bought mine and used bing cash back and big crumbs plus my ebay cash and ended up at about 225.

·
Registered
82 Posts
im using a manifold from Doug at GOGO Diesel. the pricing is about in the middle, not the cheapest, but definetaly not the highest priced, and VERY good manifold! im super happy with it!

·
AMERICA!
22,939 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My oil cooler was clogged causing the EGR cooler to fail, I seen the oil cooler mod on bulletproofdiesel.com. Looks like they have an adapter plate that mounts were your filter/cooler goes and you mount an external cooler and canster filter.

·
AMERICA!
22,939 Posts
My oil cooler was clogged causing the EGR cooler to fail, I seen the oil cooler mod on bulletproofdiesel.com. Looks like they have an adapter plate that mounts were your filter/cooler goes and you mount an external cooler and canster filter.
I haven't seen that myself yet... guess i should go check it out. so you mount an external cooler... your post earlier made it sound like you were talking about deleting the oil cooler all together.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just got my RCD put on last night. The tech stated it was the best and easiest kit he has put on. Don't have experience with the different yet. 04 and 03 you will just throw a code, but not check engine light. 05+ will have a code and check engine light.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Took the truck for a nice drive today. It runs like a Raped Ape. Could be the placebo effect, but one thing is for sure, it is much more quiet. EGR temp significantly different.

·
Slacker
19,118 Posts
Glad to hear you got it taken care of! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts