Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching for the right truck, I found a 2007 F350 crew cab long bed 4x4 king ranch in great shape. Time to start my conversion plans. After learning some lessons from my OBS '96, I want things a little different.

First off, the 6.0 is an entirely different animal from the 7.3. I've done some searching here, but I need HELP with fuel diagrams, pictures of your build, things to avoid, etc. (no smart *** comments about buying the 6.0 in the first place, lol). In my 7.3, I had a double, dead head system, with check valves on both sides, diesel in the stock lines going into the rear fuel po, and WVO going into the front fuel ports. This system worked well, and made it so that I only needed one electronic solenoid valve for purging WVO from the heads. In truth, I hardly ever used my "manual purge", and usually just turned the diesel back on about a mile from home to use up all the WVO in the system.

I had a 90 gallon 14x60x26" aluminum tank in the bed, and always regretted the permanent loss of space. I think the roughly 40-gallon spare tire located tanks I keep seeing would work well for most of my trips, and if I really needed the extra oil, I could take it with me. I'm already thinking about lifting the bed off in order to put a 3/8" steel plate brace for a bed mounted jib-crane that I had in my '96 OBS. If I'm gonna do that, why not do the spare tire tank. It would sure make things easier for the conversion. I'll use a hot fox pickup, and will probably do an in-tank coil, after problems on really cold days with my 7.3. In the mountains one trip, the tank turned into solid pudding, and the hot fox just making a melted little cylinder of liquid oil, with gelled oil on either side. I should've taken pictures--it was pretty cool, but what a PITA!

The lines will be aluminum tube-in hose, covered in foam insulation with some sort of wrap around them, like Jason's builds. I had foam hot water wraps around my hoses before, and plan on this again. I used a bosch auxiliary coolant pump, and plan to re-use this from the OBS system, along with a 40-plate heat exchanger. Anyone ever use copper coil for fuel line? I developed a leak at one point from vibration-induced metal fatigue in the aluminum. Even though I cinched down the lines, there was just enough vibration that it cracked right where it went into the compression fitting. I thought I'd over-tightened it, but it happened a second time in the same spot, so it had to be the vibration.

I'm not sold on either V4 or DIY at this point, if I can get a good deal on a V4. I'm thinking about trying the WVO designs fuel pump though; the integrated pressure regulator is a bonus. Anyone have good/bad experiences to share? I'm going to reuse my PS120 prefilter, but I need to make a copper coil for it. I just never got around to it on the OBS system. With or without a V4, there will be a heated filter head, just probably not the WVO designs one. I don't like the heated filter head I bought from them; it developed bad rust on the steel plugs in the 2 unused ports. I don't want any steel fittings again, I just couldn't find any o-ring fittings made of aluminum to fit the unused ports in it. As far as replacing the stock fuel delivery system, I'm open to suggestions. Obviously the OBS e-pump conversion would probably not supply enough fuel to the 6.0, but maybe so?? I have a simple spin-on NAPA filter with a simple inline prefilter before the pump. It worked just fine.

So, after about 35-40,000 miles on WVO, I'm totally open to hear some suggestions, and things to avoid this time around. School me peeps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After doing a lot of thread searching, sounds like an excursion tank will fit in the spare tire spot, and is WAY cheaper than the Titan tank option. Anyone have pictures of their build?? I'm particularly interested in putting a filler nozzle door in the bed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts