Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
41381 - 41400 of 41566 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
You have to do what you feel is right to support your life - nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
969 Posts
As for journeyman to apprentices, I don't know about other trades but for carpenters we are required to have 1 apprentice per 3 journeyman
That's crazy - there gonna be a huge problem in a few years with shortage of trades and you will be paid huge $$$

Our ratios in Canada are by province (state)

British Columbia - N/A
Alberta - 1:2
Saskatchewan - 1:2
Manitoba - 1:1
Ontario - 1:1 to 3:1
Quebec - 2:1, 1:1 in residential
New Brunswick - 1:1
Nova Scotia - 1:1
PEI - 1:1 to 3:1
Newfoundland and Labrador - 1:2

Not sure how old this is and apology for no BC number.

Should not in my opinion be more then 1:2 - direct supervision as required and we don't end up with a major shortage down the road. Should not affect wages as long as employers get it not to flood the market with workers

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
Well the good lord knows I’ll never ever vote blue, so maybe the union style of trade is the wrong direction for me😂
Union leadership are communists thru & thru. Doesn't mean the rank and file members need to be. Just keep your politics to yourself and go make a living.

·
Premium Member
2006 F350 SuperCab, 4x4, AT, Cab & Chassis, 9' flatbed, dually, studded/egr deleted
619 Posts
I sometimes wish I had gotten into a trade earlier on. My parents pushed 4 years of college or live on our own, and they paid for the first 4 years of college. (I know, I'm extremely blessed.). My degree was in Building Construction Management and I graduated in 2007, just as the construction market started struggling. I loved manual labor and critical thinking in the trades but all the companies I had an interest in eventually being a manager for had no interest in me being a field worker first.

We all make our choices and I'm thankful that I'm back in maintenance. Now to just learn as much as I can to hopefully to steer towards mechanic/technician/Jack of all trades, so I can hopefully steer away from being a manager. Unfortunately the companies I keep finding good to work at don't want to pay good money for JUST a technician. They think they can find a working maintenance supervisor but it gets super overwhelming, especially when the cheap hires are dense with lack of common sense/initiative/content.

All this to say - I still haven't figured it out, but I do look back to my dad and those before him and see that they figured things out with much less going for them.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Powerstroke Bretheren,

I'm looking for a tire chuck to use with my air compressor for home use (truck, car, trailer tires). Like everything else, there is so much information out there that i'm having trouble wrapping my head around which one I get. Looking for one with an inline gauge (don't care analog or digital...just want accuracy), so I don't have to keep switching on/off between the chuck and gauge.

What do you guys have and would you buy it again.

Gracias.

-jokester

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
I used only to get Milton tire chucks and air fittings for the facility I managed. They always were good quality, but in today's world, who knows. We did have a few of their inflators with gauges to take on road trips, but in the facility we just aired and checked with a separate gauge. I still do at home, but I count depending on how low the pressure is, and I'm pretty close on the refill if not on the money. It took about 60 years for that skill, LOL.

I'm an analog guy, too, and so were the tire gauges in our shop. Milton makes what you are looking for, in both digital and analog. They have different versions depends on the need. The numbers would be Milton S-57_A, the blank depending on the version.

Bottom of the page, analog versions.

Here at home I use a Snap-On gauge - go figure.....

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Well looks like I'll actually have to fix some of the stuff I've been neglecting on the truck because once again it's my daily driver. Unfortunately Wednesday morning coming home from work I was sitting at a stop light in the Mazda and a guy hit the car that was sitting behind me and they ended up hitting me. HUGE lesson learned there, since I own the car outright I don't carry collision as I thought that was to repair my car in the event I was at fault but I guess it covers my car regardless. It is the other guys fault 100% but he's 23 years old and his insurance expired last week (that's what he told me). I still filed a claim with his insurance but he still hasn't given a statement and if he didn't have insurance it looks like it will be up to me to fix my car. I know I could sue him but the guy has nothing so I'll never see a dime and it'll cost me more money and mess up his life for a bit.

I still haven't decided how I want to go about that, on one hand he should've handled his insurance but on the other end I can see being busy and forgetting so it could be a lesson and he could owe me for quite a while or since I can recover from it I can take the hit and let him off.

As for the truck I have to figure out why it randomly runs rough. It'll be driving fine then all of the sudden it feels like my F-150 when I forgot to plug in a coil pack. If I shut it off and wait a couple minutes it'll act like nothing ever happened. Other than that I'd like to get a new steering gear box as mine is very loose, and I have to get an alignment. I have the lifetime alignment so at least it's free, I just haven't had the time to actually go do it lol.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Well looks like I'll actually have to fix some of the stuff I've been neglecting on the truck because once again it's my daily driver. Unfortunately Wednesday morning coming home from work I was sitting at a stop light in the Mazda and a guy hit the car that was sitting behind me and they ended up hitting me. HUGE lesson learned there, since I own the car outright I don't carry collision as I thought that was to repair my car in the event I was at fault but I guess it covers my car regardless. It is the other guys fault 100% but he's 23 years old and his insurance expired last week (that's what he told me). I still filed a claim with his insurance but he still hasn't given a statement and if he didn't have insurance it looks like it will be up to me to fix my car. I know I could sue him but the guy has nothing so I'll never see a dime and it'll cost me more money and mess up his life for a bit.

I still haven't decided how I want to go about that, on one hand he should've handled his insurance but on the other end I can see being busy and forgetting so it could be a lesson and he could owe me for quite a while or since I can recover from it I can take the hit and let him off.

As for the truck I have to figure out why it randomly runs rough. It'll be driving fine then all of the sudden it feels like my F-150 when I forgot to plug in a coil pack. If I shut it off and wait a couple minutes it'll act like nothing ever happened. Other than that I'd like to get a new steering gear box as mine is very loose, and I have to get an alignment. I have the lifetime alignment so at least it's free, I just haven't had the time to actually go do it lol.

View attachment 778031
Sorry that happened. Uninsured motorists have actually been on the increase over the past several years. Its a pretty high rate in western WA. I now carry full coverage on everything, even the bike and truck which are have been fully paid off for years. When I was younger and had less expensive vehicles I didn't have full coverage, but always opted for uninsured motorist coverage with my liability. As a former Washington resident I know the insurance companies there were required to allow you to purchase it up to the amount of your liability coverage.

·
The Maddawg
5,777 Posts
What's up guys?! Been a while since the ol Maddawg was sniffing around these parts!!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
What's up guys?! Been a while since the ol Maddawg was sniffing around these parts!!

Yup, its been a while since you made roll call here!
Hope all is well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Maddawg
5,777 Posts
Yup, its been a while since you made roll call here!
Hope all is well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Busy as a one legged man in a jump rope contest haha

Came around again cause I gots so major 6.0 issues I'm about to be working on.... Diesel in the coolant.

·
The Maddawg
5,777 Posts
He only needs us when he is "broke"
Admittedly here lately that's how it's been! Haha

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Back to tire inflators. I should have looked this up for a discussion source, but I was heading to bed - Garage Journal. Typical thread, everyone has preferences.

I actually looked at that Astro AI one too on Amazon... glad I decided against it. Also, I'd rather deal with an analog gauge than worry about batteries going dead with a digital one. I didn't want to break the bank on a $200+ air chuck, but I didn't want to cheap out either and it break soon after purchase. Don't mind paying a bit extra if it's quality and will lasting! Milton seems like a good choice...thanks for the suggestion @TooManyToys

-jokester

·
california deplorable
11,263 Posts
Anyone see this idiots latest video? Oil coming from the air vents.. what the heck could cause that?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
huh...thought this was quoted earlier...
i swear stupid people who are even mildly entertaining seem to be the gold mine on you tube
i guess the good lord watches over those too stupid to do it themselves 🤣

Well the good lord knows I’ll never ever vote blue, so maybe the union style of trade is the wrong direction for me😂
God Bless youh good sir...i knew i liked you :D

That's crazy - there gonna be a huge problem in a few years with shortage of trades and you will be paid huge $$$

Our ratios in Canada are by province (state)

British Columbia - N/A
Alberta - 1:2
Saskatchewan - 1:2
Manitoba - 1:1
Ontario - 1:1 to 3:1
Quebec - 2:1, 1:1 in residential
New Brunswick - 1:1
Nova Scotia - 1:1
PEI - 1:1 to 3:1
Newfoundland and Labrador - 1:2

Not sure how old this is and apology for no BC number.

Should not in my opinion be more then 1:2 - direct supervision as required and we don't end up with a major shortage down the road. Should not affect wages as long as employers get it not to flood the market with workers

i think that is part of the build back better for us and go f your self plan the globalists are running
i know here the more involved the guberment gets... the lower the quality of work. its abysmal.
we have a rich neighbor hood where you can only build frank loyd right designed homes and the crews are all from south of the border. finish work with nails showing through and just plain shody work everywhere. its truly disgusting
but that seems to be the direction we are going materials from china workers from central america and houses you will HAVE to remodel if you want them to last the life of the mortgage (death grip in latin) i think that is a huge part of the new push for 15 year instead of 30 year mortgages. they know the place is coming down within 20 so...

Powerstroke Bretheren,

I'm looking for a tire chuck to use with my air compressor for home use (truck, car, trailer tires). Like everything else, there is so much information out there that i'm having trouble wrapping my head around which one I get. Looking for one with an inline gauge (don't care analog or digital...just want accuracy), so I don't have to keep switching on/off between the chuck and gauge.

What do you guys have and would you buy it again.

Gracias.

-jokester
not sure i recommend this but i got a cheap one from harbor freight 6 years ago and it still works great acording to both my hand held gauges its never more than a pound off...
you results may vary :p

View attachment 778031
somehow this reminds me of a story from many years ago. i ran a liquor store for a while and we had a number of regulars who i was friends with one guy had been restoring a 66 mustang for about 3 years and had just finished all the work and paint prep and was all excited to have it done and drive it by so i could see it
then he disappeared for about 6 months....
turns out he had gone to the paint shop to pick it up and a drunk illegal had t boned him and totalled it on his way home! the guy flat out told him i no have to have insurance you will have to sue me and rolled up his window on him so he did what any reasonable person would do broke the window pulled the guy out and beat his azz....
so HE went to jail for 6 months ...
gotta love the system

Admittedly here lately that's how it's been! Haha

hey good to see ya man
was thinking of you when we were evacuated and wondering how you was. we were staying just off of reed rd :p

·
The Maddawg
5,777 Posts
huh...thought this was quoted earlier...
i swear stupid people who are even mildly entertaining seem to be the gold mine on you tube
i guess the good lord watches over those too stupid to do it themselves

God Bless youh good sir...i knew i liked you :D

i think that is part of the build back better for us and go f your self plan the globalists are running
i know here the more involved the guberment gets... the lower the quality of work. its abysmal.
we have a rich neighbor hood where you can only build frank loyd right designed homes and the crews are all from south of the border. finish work with nails showing through and just plain shody work everywhere. its truly disgusting
but that seems to be the direction we are going materials from china workers from central america and houses you will HAVE to remodel if you want them to last the life of the mortgage (death grip in latin) i think that is a huge part of the new push for 15 year instead of 30 year mortgages. they know the place is coming down within 20 so...

not sure i recommend this but i got a cheap one from harbor freight 6 years ago and it still works great acording to both my hand held gauges its never more than a pound off...
you results may vary

somehow this reminds me of a story from many years ago. i ran a liquor store for a while and we had a number of regulars who i was friends with one guy had been restoring a 66 mustang for about 3 years and had just finished all the work and paint prep and was all excited to have it done and drive it by so i could see it
then he disappeared for about 6 months....
turns out he had gone to the paint shop to pick it up and a drunk illegal had t boned him and totalled it on his way home! the guy flat out told him i no have to have insurance you will have to sue me and rolled up his window on him so he did what any reasonable person would do broke the window pulled the guy out and beat his azz....
so HE went to jail for 6 months ...
gotta love the system

hey good to see ya man
was thinking of you when we were evacuated and wondering how you was. we were staying just off of reed rd :p
Haha Reed Rd eh??? Sorry to hear you got displaced!!

Reactions: john galt

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts

View attachment 778031
Always get underinsured/uninsured motorist with your insurance. I do even on my vehicles with liability. Unless your state or insurance company doesnt do that. Then go full coverage, it's not much more money and is protecting your investment. Only vehicles i run liability only on are the ones that wont cost much to replace, like my old work van or the kids beaters. Even if you own the vehicle outright, if its worth more than a few grand, what will you do if its totalled? Or something like this happens? Youre stuck paying to fix it then trying to recoup your hard earned cash. If you had insurance that covered this, then the insurance company would take care of you then go after the other parties involved. Think about that little bit per month you have been saving and now what you need to spend to repair or replace you vehicle, and recoup the funds. Having insurance is like having a lawyer too in this situation. Luckily that car doesnt look bad at all and should still be drivable till its in the body shop.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

41381 - 41400 of 41566 Posts