Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
41261 - 41280 of 41384 Posts

·
Compression Ignition Addict
8,582 Posts
SP is still made and available. At least one Ford transmissions still requires it to be exclusively used.

Yes, a TSB was issued stating that LV is now the transmission fluid to be used for the 6.0L.

That said, SP is still available and it still works just fine. I still use it. 232k miles on the original transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
We are well within that, the only trouble is my fiancée doesn't want to do that :cry:. Unfortunately that leads to a lot of "I told you so" and for some reason I've found with my limited experience with women, they really don't like that. I even found her a nice Wrangler (it's my only shot to get her out of the Renegade) with a lifetime powertrain warranty from the dealer we bought the Mazda at for the same price she paid for the Renegade but she has no interest in that.

However what did save us money is someone came in with an all cash offer on that house and waived all contingencies so we lost lol. Oh well, as much as I don't mind doing the work and probably should search for a house that needs some cosmetic work, I would much prefer something turn key. I guess everyone else does too though. On the good side of things, now we're caught up so I can see when a house goes on the market and have a pre inspection done so we can waive the inspection but if we went $40k over asking on this last house and still got beat I don't know how much help that will give us. In fairness (and the only reason I was willing to go up that high) is other houses in the neighborhood sold for over $500k just a few months ago. Granted they are $350k houses in a regular market but they were still way above this one and arguably in worse shape.
Doesn't want to do what? Make the dealer buy back a piece of chit vehicle that hasnt been right since day one? Or trade you into another one with no cost to you? Im sorry but you do realize how utterly stupid that sounds, right? Why the hell would you want to just eat it and take it in the shorts? I mean if you got that kind of money laying around then so be it.

I have been married 22 years now, and while my wife gets her say and does what she wants most the time, there are times where i will put my foot down if its not the right choice. She might kick and scream for a bit and i wont get laid for a week, but once she takes the time to actually research or whatever to look into my side, she comes around. I tell my wife "told ya so" all the time, she hates it but always admits i was right. Now im not gonna just go into it without knowing damn well im right to start with, if i did that crap and was wrong, well it wouldnt be good.

My wife would have been done with the crap you have been dealing with after the first couple times and been all over the dealership. Let alone almost getting stranded in a new vehicle. Granted we are spending upwards of $80k on our vehicles so the dealer better know my stuff is gonna break before i do, lol. But regardless of the cost of vehicle, new is new and the problems are not acceptable. Dont let those blood sucking dealers win. Maybe i dont know the whole story, but i just dont understand why your fiance would be against it. There are times when its ok to make waves in a relationship in order to be in a better position in said relationship.

Oh and on the house thing, i know its been beat to death, but quit trying to rush into it right now. Spend the $3k or whatever your mortgage would be a month and get a nice rental for 6months or a year. The market will correct soon enough and rates will still be low enough you will be glad you did. I saw countless people go so far upside down after the 08 crash that it was better for them to walk away then stay in the house with a high mortgage owing twice the worth of the house. Im not saying the market will correct heavily, but enough that you arent settling for an "ok" house for way more than its worth. There is a false sense of have to buy now going on thats causing people to over pay so much. Its your life and you will do what you will, but there is some truth in the "older and wiser" saying. We are really trying to help you avoid a potentially bad decision that im sure we have all made at your age to some degree. Renting may feel like youre throwing money away, but it gives you an opportunity to try out different neighbourhoods and floor plans so you will know what you really want when the time comes to buy.

I feel you would be much happier being in the position im in now than what you are looking to get into. We built our place in 2010, cost about $200k at 4.75% and appraised around $280k. Now its well over $500k in this inflated market, so im going to refi to around 2.65% and take out a couple hundo in cash. Pay off the truck and sxs since they're 6% loans and leave momas escalade since its only 2%. Then apply that $1400 im paying for the truck and sxs anyways to the mortgage over the next 4 years. Will drop huge amounts off the loan. Ill sit on the rest of the cash till lumber comes down alittle more then build a shop, which adds equity, and hold onto the rest to buy up some houses when things correct. No way my place should be over half a mil and no way i would pay that for it. But ill take advantage of the screwed up market for sure.

You do you and be smart about it. Dont make me tell you i told you so, be cause i will, lol.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Geez...another fire here in Oregon. With extremely dry conditions already and with that area being in a red flag alert for the next week, this one has the potential to be a monster! It started on Tuesday, and got REAL big REALLY fast! Already 23,000+ acres!!

-jokester

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Doesn't want to do what? Make the dealer buy back a piece of chit vehicle that hasnt been right since day one? Or trade you into another one with no cost to you? Im sorry but you do realize how utterly stupid that sounds, right? Why the hell would you want to just eat it and take it in the shorts? I mean if you got that kind of money laying around then so be it.

I have been married 22 years now, and while my wife gets her say and does what she wants most the time, there are times where i will put my foot down if its not the right choice. She might kick and scream for a bit and i wont get laid for a week, but once she takes the time to actually research or whatever to look into my side, she comes around. I tell my wife "told ya so" all the time, she hates it but always admits i was right. Now im not gonna just go into it without knowing damn well im right to start with, if i did that crap and was wrong, well it wouldnt be good.

My wife would have been done with the crap you have been dealing with after the first couple times and been all over the dealership. Let alone almost getting stranded in a new vehicle. Granted we are spending upwards of $80k on our vehicles so the dealer better know my stuff is gonna break before i do, lol. But regardless of the cost of vehicle, new is new and the problems are not acceptable. Dont let those blood sucking dealers win. Maybe i dont know the whole story, but i just dont understand why your fiance would be against it. There are times when its ok to make waves in a relationship in order to be in a better position in said relationship.

Oh and on the house thing, i know its been beat to death, but quit trying to rush into it right now. Spend the $3k or whatever your mortgage would be a month and get a nice rental for 6months or a year. The market will correct soon enough and rates will still be low enough you will be glad you did. I saw countless people go so far upside down after the 08 crash that it was better for them to walk away then stay in the house with a high mortgage owing twice the worth of the house. Im not saying the market will correct heavily, but enough that you arent settling for an "ok" house for way more than its worth. There is a false sense of have to buy now going on thats causing people to over pay so much. Its your life and you will do what you will, but there is some truth in the "older and wiser" saying. We are really trying to help you avoid a potentially bad decision that im sure we have all made at your age to some degree. Renting may feel like youre throwing money away, but it gives you an opportunity to try out different neighbourhoods and floor plans so you will know what you really want when the time comes to buy.

I feel you would be much happier being in the position im in now than what you are looking to get into. We built our place in 2010, cost about $200k at 4.75% and appraised around $280k. Now its well over $500k in this inflated market, so im going to refi to around 2.65% and take out a couple hundo in cash. Pay off the truck and sxs since they're 6% loans and leave momas escalade since its only 2%. Then apply that $1400 im paying for the truck and sxs anyways to the mortgage over the next 4 years. Will drop huge amounts off the loan. Ill sit on the rest of the cash till lumber comes down alittle more then build a shop, which adds equity, and hold onto the rest to buy up some houses when things correct. No way my place should be over half a mil and no way i would pay that for it. But ill take advantage of the screwed up market for sure.

You do you and be smart about it. Dont make me tell you i told you so, be cause i will, lol.

You would be correct, essentially she doesn't want the headache or at least any more than she's dealing with now. I'm a 3 strikes and you're out kind of guy, this car would've been gone in February if it were mine but I'm trying to stay out of it as we have both decided that for now while we are both working our finances stay separate. I've told her all I can tell her and how this will hurt in the end but she still loves the pile poop so that's her decision. At the point we have kids and she (hopefully) is a stay at home mom, that conversation will be a little different.

As for the house, I totally agree that the market is way over priced but the way I'm looking at it is it took somewhere around 10 years to recover (granted each area is different) and there was a lot of things that all compiled into one for the perfect storm. We have a lot going on now but theoretically this is going to be a 10 year plus home for us. Yes we are buying at a terrible time, however in 10 years we'll hopefully be recovered from this. If we wait a year then we may save some money, but we also spent $36,000 if we spend $3k/mo in rent. I understand it's a gamble and this gamble may not be in my favor however with my career advancing as well as hers, we'd rather put that $36,000 into our equity, possibly make extra payments and pay it off sooner. Sure we can do that in a year too and on paper we might be $50k ahead but there's also sadly a price for happiness so we have to factor that in as well with this risk.

Past that I've been looking at this just as I would my stocks and there are a lot that have good value in them, but then there's houses like this one. I feel like this would be an ok deal if you could get it at their asking price of $410k, but this one will probably go for $450-$460k. We have been in talks with our realtor about properties like this and we've decided that come the offer review date if we don't have anything that looks enticing to us, then we would throw in an offer maybe even at $420k just for giggles and hopes but it's hard to find those good values.

·
Registered
903 Posts

What Flammed99 said about the fiance/future wife 100%. My wife blew a gasket when I bought the low mile Ex for her and sold her old one (it needed $$$ put into it - ex oil field work truck and not worth the expenditure). Explained all to her to no avail, fast forward to now and she absolutely loves the upgrade. Wife even admits she was "unfair" in her behavior. Sometimes ya gotta do the tough love game - as Flamed99 said make sure you have your ducks lined up in correct order first.

The house situation is a tough one - don't know the market in US/your area of WA. Everyone says correction, correction, correction - as long as interest rates stay low I don't see it anytime soon (at least in our market in greater Vancouver, BC, Canada area). 16 years of hearing its gonna "crash" and every year it increases.

You can follow Flamed99 advice and test out areas/floor plans and spend mortgage payment on rent - good advice. Or keep cheaper rent and bank difference from mortgage payment price to add to down payment. I feel bad for young couples trying to get into the market - it's BRUTAL (whatever happened to the American dream - house, white pocket fence, 2 cars........).

Our house is mortgage free after 16 years (have paid extra from day one on mortgage and sacrificed "frills" to pay off early). Still have mortgage on condo for mother in law, but that is an investment property so not a worry (has doubled in price since we purchased).

Your choice and decision but best of luck to you both - and once again congratulations on the engagement.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You would be correct, essentially she doesn't want the headache or at least any more than she's dealing with now. I'm a 3 strikes and you're out kind of guy, this car would've been gone in February if it were mine but I'm trying to stay out of it as we have both decided that for now while we are both working our finances stay separate. I've told her all I can tell her and how this will hurt in the end but she still loves the pile poop so that's her decision. At the point we have kids and she (hopefully) is a stay at home mom, that conversation will be a little different.

As for the house, I totally agree that the market is way over priced but the way I'm looking at it is it took somewhere around 10 years to recover (granted each area is different) and there was a lot of things that all compiled into one for the perfect storm. We have a lot going on now but theoretically this is going to be a 10 year plus home for us. Yes we are buying at a terrible time, however in 10 years we'll hopefully be recovered from this. If we wait a year then we may save some money, but we also spent $36,000 if we spend $3k/mo in rent. I understand it's a gamble and this gamble may not be in my favor however with my career advancing as well as hers, we'd rather put that $36,000 into our equity, possibly make extra payments and pay it off sooner. Sure we can do that in a year too and on paper we might be $50k ahead but there's also sadly a price for happiness so we have to factor that in as well with this risk.

Past that I've been looking at this just as I would my stocks and there are a lot that have good value in them, but then there's houses like this one. I feel like this would be an ok deal if you could get it at their asking price of $410k, but this one will probably go for $450-$460k. We have been in talks with our realtor about properties like this and we've decided that come the offer review date if we don't have anything that looks enticing to us, then we would throw in an offer maybe even at $420k just for giggles and hopes but it's hard to find those good values.
Just remember even if your finances are separate now, they may not be in a few years or months. Her poor financial decisions now are essentially yours, remember that. My wife and I have had the same bank account since we were 19-20. Never had an issue. Heck 9/10 times I couldn't tell you what's in the bank day to day. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Geez...another fire here in Oregon. With extremely dry conditions already and with that area being in a red flag alert for the next week, this one has the potential to be a monster! It started on Tuesday, and got REAL big REALLY fast! Already 23,000+ acres!!

-jokester
You getting much smoke over there? Its been pretty nasty here. There is no escape from it. My eyes haven't stopped burning for days.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
You getting much smoke over there? Its been pretty nasty here. There is no escape from it. My eyes haven't stopped burning for days.
We got just a tiny bit on Monday/Tuesday when the winds shifted from the south, but not much really. You guys are WAY worse than us and have been in it for quite awhile!

-jokester

·
Registered
903 Posts

-jokester
We are getting slammed on the west coast - feel sorry for the crews fighting these fires. They are being worked to the bone and NOT getting ahead.

·
Registered
903 Posts
SP is still made and available. At least one Ford transmissions still requires it to be exclusively used.

Yes, a TSB was issued stating that LV is now the transmission fluid to be used for the 6.0L.

That said, SP is still available and it still works just fine. I still use it. 232k miles on the original transmission.
I still run SP more $ to buy but just never bothered to change - even though they say ok to mix (draining tranny on a change doesn't get ALL old flud out).

If it ain't broke don't fix?

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts

Makes sense if you guys are running separate finances now. All you can do is give her advice for sure. Explain the options and outcomes maybe in a different way? But it sounds like she is set in her decision so just support her and try to mitigate overall loss. She can get into another one under lemon law also, not just get it bought back. This particular one just sounds like its no good. But maybe they all have this issue for that year. I would assume there is or would be a recall coming about it.

Im not saying dont buy a house now, just try to avoid paying too much over the average market value. If you can stay with it long term i doubt you will lose, real estate always gains value higher than it was before a loss. So buy high now, lose some depending on market correction, then gain more with the next uptick.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Probably better than me given i bought two new vehicles and a sxs this year. But as long as things dont fall worse than they did in 08 i wont get hurt at all. We can survive off $5k a month and i was making that easy after the last crash. But if things hold out and my builders can continue on their projected numbers. I can pay most everything off in a few years.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I still run SP more $ to buy but just never bothered to change - even though they say ok to mix (draining tranny on a change doesn't get ALL old flud out).

If it ain't broke don't fix?

Its hard to say which way is better for sure. When i bought each of my trucks, i did the normal change everything maintenance so i had a base line. I read they took sp but now use lv so thats what i used. Just drained the pan on each and refilled with new frame filter. That was at 103000 on my 04, then again at 130k, and now 160k. Never noticed a difference. My 03 was the same but haven't put enough miles on it to even be close to a 30k service. Getting it at almost 300k, who knows what's been put in it. They both are just drivers with light towing. Maybe if i ran them like @backhoebill uses his i would see a difference.

·
Registered
2004 F-350 CCLB egr delete, MBRP 4” turbo back exhaust, mishimoto rad
61 Posts

-jokester

didn’t know you were from Oregon! What part?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Makes sense if you guys are running separate finances now. All you can do is give her advice for sure. Explain the options and outcomes maybe in a different way? But it sounds like she is set in her decision so just support her and try to mitigate overall loss. She can get into another one under lemon law also, not just get it bought back. This particular one just sounds like its no good. But maybe they all have this issue for that year. I would assume there is or would be a recall coming about it.

Im not saying dont buy a house now, just try to avoid paying too much over the average market value. If you can stay with it long term i doubt you will lose, real estate always gains value higher than it was before a loss. So buy high now, lose some depending on market correction, then gain more with the next uptick.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Probably better than me given i bought two new vehicles and a sxs this year. But as long as things dont fall worse than they did in 08 i wont get hurt at all. We can survive off $5k a month and i was making that easy after the last crash. But if things hold out and my builders can continue on their projected numbers. I can pay most everything off in a few years.

Loss mitigation is the biggest thing here, She still owes on this car for the next 6 years and I assume by then our finances will no longer be separate so that will become my payment along with any repairs. The good news is I've only found 2 other people having the same code but theirs was fixed. Ours had the same repairs but is still being an issue and for the time being I don't mind a whole lot as we're still under warranty for another 16k miles but it is a hassle especially since Jeep doesn't give out loaners any more. This last time the dealer did offer her to find another one and see if they can work out a similar deal for financing (she got 0% during a promotion) but she was hoping this was the fix. Maybe now she'll think about taking that deal lol. Unfortunately there's just no inventory but I'm sure they can track one down somewhere around the country and we can work a deal to get it transported here.

I think the market value is why we haven't gotten any of our offers accepted. We are more than capable of going to $500k and above but we're not comfortable with that idea just yet and the houses just aren't worth that. I'm not an assessor by any means but I do look at these houses and come up with the number that I feel it's worth to me and that's where my offer ends. This last house I thought we had a good shot at as we were offering $40k over asking which was $5k over the "zestimate" and it sounds like our offer would've been accepted but someone came in with all cash waiving all contingencies. I can't say we're in a huge hurry to buy a house otherwise we'd be more aggressive but it would be nice. Our lease is up in the end of October and our rent will go up another $500 so that is a kind of driving force but not enough to make me spend too much over what a house is worth.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Happy Friday everyone

·
Registered
903 Posts
Everyone take a moment to remember the over 400 first responders that didn't go home 20 years ago.

Take a moment to also remember the over 2,000 civilians who didn't go home 20 years ago.

·
california deplorable
11,247 Posts
last couple changes on fluid i used the valvoline multi max life but the ones i had stocked up on when they were on sale said sp lv on them the new one doesn't ...
but as everyone has said thats just the phase out of the sp from everything but motorcraft.

anyways tore in got the radiator out and the fan clutch was coated with dried elc. i couldnt believe that it all came from the radiator so i tore it down to the water pump and its holding beautifully, so new/used fan clutch but i fought with getting that bastard on until i lost light yesterday.
trying to build coffee and pain killer levels to the point i can get out there and try to finish this thing up today.

fire seems to have cleared our house so we can start heading back home as soon as i get the truck sorted out
YEAAA dam thing has burned almost a million acres last i heard.

41261 - 41280 of 41384 Posts