Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
41241 - 41260 of 41600 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
We're already living the rental life and we're over it. The price of rent is the same as a mortgage but you don't have anything to show for it at the end of the year. I am shaking my head at these prices, however securing a 3% interest rate is a pretty good deal to me. Granted I haven't had any experience with this but just looking at the charts like I would a stock, I don't see a huge drop that wouldn't recover in less than 5 years

We're just tired of paying $1600/mo for a mold filled apartment that you can't park at. Unfortunately there's not much in this price range and rents keep going up. My mortgage should sit right around $2k, there's trade offs to both but we're ready to roll the the dice.
I feel your pain. I also agree with you that most home prices rebound within 3-5-7 time-frames. But you don't want to be paying a monthly mortgage note that reflects a home that is considerably over-priced in value for those recovering years. Yes, the prices will most likely rebound in time but you will have missed a large chunk of equity by going this route.

In times like these, there are two problems facing home buyers, The first is inflated prices of course and the second (and more important in my opinion) is inventory. You can insist on buying now and be willing to accept the lost equity opportunity, but in markets like this one, it's extremely tough to find the right home in the right area because of the very tight inventory availability. The best you can do in buying your dream home in today's market is to "settle". Settle on location, settle on a floor plan, settle on the age of the home, settle on the home's lot and finally, settle on the crazy home price. That's just not a good way to buy a home if it can be avoided. If you happen to be looking at new homes in a new subdivision built by a production home builder, some of these problems can be mitigated somewhat. Although that scenario has its own set of problems...lol

By waiting for home prices to fall, you will have a lower mortgage pymt and be closer to the start of equity gains. Nobody can time a market at the exact right moment to enter and see equity gains the next day...ain't gonna happen. Most smart buyers purchase when prices are falling or when prices are in the early stages of a climb or somewhere in-between. The old real estate adage about waiting until there's "blood in the streets" can sometimes work for an professional investor but the average home buyer just has too much emotion in the purchase to play that game.

In my earlier post about renting an "extra nice temporary rental", I was alluding to something better than where you are apparently living now. You mention a monthly rental rate of $1600 and an allowance for your future mortgage pymt of $2000. Personally, I would spend the mortgage amount + in order to get a plush rental that would keep me happy and chase away the "gotta-buy-a-house-now" crazies that are sure to pop-up from time-to-time during this interim period.

Anyway, we've beat this to death...lol...you're young and it's hard to make mistakes that won't be forgiven in relatively short time. Good luck in your search and have fun doing it, it's an exciting time for sure!

·
Registered
983 Posts
I feel your pain. I also agree with you that most home prices rebound within 3-5-7 time-frames. But you don't want to be paying a monthly mortgage note that reflects a home that is considerably over-priced in value for those recovering years. Yes, the prices will most likely rebound in time but you will have missed a large chunk of equity by going this route.

In times like these, there are two problems facing home buyers, The first is inflated prices of course and the second (and more important in my opinion) is inventory. You can insist on buying now and be willing to accept the lost equity opportunity, but in markets like this one, it's extremely tough to find the right home in the right area because of the very tight inventory availability. The best you can do in buying your dream home in today's market is to "settle". Settle on location, settle on a floor plan, settle on the age of the home, settle on the home's lot and finally, settle on the crazy home price. That's just not a good way to buy a home if it can be avoided. If you happen to be looking at new homes in a new subdivision built by a production home builder, some of these problems can be mitigated somewhat. Although that scenario has its own set of problems...lol

By waiting for home prices to fall, you will have a lower mortgage pymt and be closer to the start of equity gains. Nobody can time a market at the exact right moment to enter and see equity gains the next day...ain't gonna happen. Most smart buyers purchase when prices are falling or when prices are in the early stages of a climb or somewhere in-between. The old real estate adage about waiting until there's "blood in the streets" can sometimes work for an professional investor but the average home buyer just has too much emotion in the purchase to play that game.

In my earlier post about renting an "extra nice temporary rental", I was alluding to something better than where you are apparently living now. You mention a monthly rental rate of $1600 and an allowance for your future mortgage pymt of $2000. Personally, I would spend the mortgage amount + in order to get a plush rental that would keep me happy and chase away the "gotta-buy-a-house-now" crazies that are sure to pop-up from time-to-time during this interim period.

Anyway, we've beat this to death...lol...you're young and it's hard to make mistakes that won't be forgiven in relatively short time. Good luck in your search and have fun doing it, it's an exciting time for sure!
Very good points.

Remember equity in a house is a paper gain only, unless you sell. And like the stock market never sell when you are down - that's when you lose money. Only thing my house price going up 4x in value has done is I pay 4x in property tax - no gain in my pocket unless I sell.

Housing is generally a long term investment unless you are a house flipper so it is a longer term play, ride out the lows. It can suck when on paper you are losing money but at least you are in the market.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I thought about selling my place and buying another one, but since in Oregon your taxes can only increase by 3% annually I only pay taxes on 135,000 even though I am assessed at about double that and fair market value is over 3 times that. That is what makes me stay, as I am about 5 years from retirement.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
That's why we decided to just buy into a development, everything we looked at turned into a bidding war and went for more than it was worth
It got our foot in the door and will put an end to renting ( I hate renting)

·
Administrator
32,748 Posts
Those bidding wars suck, we got into one a few years ago and I had told myself I would not do that ,, what made us the bid winners was the fact we let them stay a month and took it as is no inspections we paid 20k more than asking I was a little bummed but two years later and on paper we already made almost 200k on it

we paid 520k
here is a market analysis
$710,195
up $190K since sold in 2019

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Being part of the farm now we would never be selling but man these prices you all are talking about is crazy. We paid $175,00 for our house and 6.6 acres 6 or 7 years ago. We refinanced it the next year because the bank insisted on having my mom and dad not necessarily co-sign but somehow back us a little. On the refinance a year later we had added 25k on the appraisal somehow so got killer rates and no loan insurance. Being self employed at that time I did take it in the shorts on the tax side that year but I think it will pay off in the long run.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Those bidding wars suck, we got into one a few years ago and I had told myself I would not do that ,, what made us the bid winners was the fact we let them stay a month and took it as is no inspections we paid 20k more than asking I was a little bummed but two years later and on paper we already made almost 200k on it

we paid 520k
Good job! Inspections are a relatively new part of buying a house, so in times like these, it’s best to strip that out of the offer. Sometimes a short COE also helps, sometimes a long COE helps. What helps the most is finagling a way past the Realtors to meet and talk with the owners and just ask them what they want to see in a contract, what is important to them? In this case it was staying in the home for a month. Realtors try to keep the parties apart and this has its merits, but sometimes it works well to sit down with the owners and just talk…talk baseball or whatever, this is their HOME they are parting with and if they have a choice, they would like to sell to someone they like. The seller obviously wants to make a bunch of money of course, but most folks also want to sell their home to someone who values the home as much as they did. Selling a home is an emotional experience for both sides.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
That's what happened with us. We were just starting to look around for houses and the lady had just gotten her second divorce in May, my dad has owned the farm all around her place and 6 acres for 15 years or so and we were "family friends" the deal was made when we came over sat at the kitchen table, decided a number, went to the bank the next day to setup the loan, moved in on Christmas Eve.

Seemed extremely painless compared to most stories I hear and I still want no part of ever having to buy a house again.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
That's what happened with us. We were just starting to look around for houses and the lady had just gotten her second divorce in May, my dad has owned the farm all around her place and 6 acres for 15 years or so and we were "family friends" the deal was made when we came over sat at the kitchen table, decided a number, went to the bank the next day to setup the loan, moved in on Christmas Eve.

Seemed extremely painless compared to most stories I hear and I still want no part of ever having to buy a house again.
Yeah, that’s the way to do it. Hopefully no Realtors were involved and that money (commissions) helped both sides as well. Nice to hear those happy real estate stories every so often…

·
california deplorable
11,273 Posts
i hear a lot of the hedgies are taking a beating and are moving into realestate and happy to bid 20% over market
there are a lot of reasons for this i won't go into but this is kinda what it looks like when a feral reserve system starts to crash.

so...i have a dumb question, valvoline max life multi used to say splv on it but orealies is saying not compatable with an 04 superdookie.
of course they also say to use their version of v so...
anyways do we know if thats good for our trucks still or is something cheanged?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I'm not sure I updated you guys on the Jeep, we did get it back after yet another month in the shop! However just like every time it's been in the shop, less than a week later the CEL is back on. We've had this car for 14 months, just shy of 5 of those months it has been in the shop. My fiancée is finally tired of it and we are on the search for a new car for her. Unfortunately she still loves the Renegade and is willing to go back in one but I'll see if I can talk her out of it or at least get one that doesn't have that engine.

Yesterday we made a list of everything this house "needs" cosmetically (mainly getting rid of the popcorn ceiling), and I was kind of shocked when we walked into home depot lol. Building materials are still way expensive but we've noticed a lot has gone down in price! We went on the higher end of the estimating so between scraping the popcorn off in a few rooms, retexturing then painting and getting base board in a few places, we budgeted $2,500, all DIY of course. She would like to refinish the hardwood floor but that would probably be a later project if it ever happens.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'm not sure I updated you guys on the Jeep, we did get it back after yet another month in the shop! However just like every time it's been in the shop, less than a week later the CEL is back on. We've had this car for 14 months, just shy of 5 of those months it has been in the shop. My fiancée is finally tired of it and we are on the search for a new car for her. Unfortunately she still loves the Renegade and is willing to go back in one but I'll see if I can talk her out of it or at least get one that doesn't have that engine.

Yesterday we made a list of everything this house "needs" cosmetically (mainly getting rid of the popcorn ceiling), and I was kind of shocked when we walked into home depot lol. Building materials are still way expensive but we've noticed a lot has gone down in price! We went on the higher end of the estimating so between scraping the popcorn off in a few rooms, retexturing then painting and getting base board in a few places, we budgeted $2,500, all DIY of course. She would like to refinish the hardwood floor but that would probably be a later project if it ever happens.
We redid our hardwood for our "honeymoon" (yeah I know I'm a real romantic guy, and wife is same). Only 1 floor of house - 3 bedrooms, lining room and dining room. Was a week of work - rented floor sanders from home depot. Was an empty house as we had not moved in yet so no furniture to move and dust created wasn't an issue.

If had to do again I'd pay someome, dogs were hard on it so could use redo in living room dining room.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
It is sad, the reputation that fiat has for quality. Since my sister retired, she now works part time for a company that has her meet with customers at dealerships to arbitrate buy-backs. I am under the impression it has something to do with lemon law stuff. She has handed checks to 8 people in the past few months, since she started. She told me innocently one day that she would “never buy a dodge ram”. Bought back one Kia, one Alpha Romeo, and six rams since January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
We redid our hardwood for our "honeymoon" (yeah I know I'm a real romantic guy, and wife is same). Only 1 floor of house - 3 bedrooms, lining room and dining room. Was a week of work - rented floor sanders from home depot. Was an empty house as we had not moved in yet so no furniture to move and dust created wasn't an issue.

If had to do again I'd pay someome, dogs were hard on it so could use redo in living room dining room.

Seems like that's the running consensus lol, I've talked to a few people that said they'd never do it again. We're in a similar position if we do get the house, we'd have about 5 weeks before our lease is up to do any repairs / move in so it's totally in the time frame but I just don't want to do it. Those floors look really good though! This is what we'd be working with, not too bad but some of the rooms had carpet so they didn't weather same as other areas and of course there's just general wear and tear. I don't know, maybe if I get everything else done I'd tackle this.

We've actually been talking about our honeymoon, our original idea was going back up to Alaska but we talked about how that would be a week or so of fun, or we could use those funds to upgrade the house or buy a wheeler that would give us (hopefully) more than a week of fun.

Fixture Wood Flooring Wood stain Paint

·
california deplorable
11,273 Posts
those floors look nice (y)
so drove about 380 miles yesterday and had lanned to tinker with the truck and take it easy today...
realized the dogs vet appointment was for today so...
320 more miles of driving but my little buddy checks out with a clean bill of health and the xrays are looking good :woot:
so freakin fried right now and i should be ripping the radiator out of the truck tomorrow and swapping out the fan clutch as well...
still almost 100 degrees down here and i dont want to do squat :eek:
sire is cooling by the house and all looks good there so i need to get the radiator wswapped out and the fan clutch and check the water pump i put in last summer and make sure everything is up to snuff before i drag the truck home again.
so hope a good night sleep gets me back in the saddle :p

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts

Need to talk to a lawyer that is familiar with the lemon law. If you have all the paperwork from each visit, he will be able to tell you real quick if you have a case to make them buy it back. Watch this video.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Need to talk to a lawyer that is familiar with the lemon law. If you have all the paperwork from each visit, he will be able to tell you real quick if you have a case to make them buy it back. Watch this video.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
We are well within that, the only trouble is my fiancée doesn't want to do that :cry:. Unfortunately that leads to a lot of "I told you so" and for some reason I've found with my limited experience with women, they really don't like that. I even found her a nice Wrangler (it's my only shot to get her out of the Renegade) with a lifetime powertrain warranty from the dealer we bought the Mazda at for the same price she paid for the Renegade but she has no interest in that.

However what did save us money is someone came in with an all cash offer on that house and waived all contingencies so we lost lol. Oh well, as much as I don't mind doing the work and probably should search for a house that needs some cosmetic work, I would much prefer something turn key. I guess everyone else does too though. On the good side of things, now we're caught up so I can see when a house goes on the market and have a pre inspection done so we can waive the inspection but if we went $40k over asking on this last house and still got beat I don't know how much help that will give us. In fairness (and the only reason I was willing to go up that high) is other houses in the neighborhood sold for over $500k just a few months ago. Granted they are $350k houses in a regular market but they were still way above this one and arguably in worse shape.

Reactions: john galt

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
so...i have a dumb question, valvoline max life multi used to say splv on it but orealies is saying not compatable with an 04 superdookie.
of course they also say to use their version of v so...
anyways do we know if thats good for our trucks still or is something cheanged?
I believe the sp spec is gone and lv replaced it. The max life is lv.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Been awhile but wanted to pop in and say hi to the old crew here.

Life has been insane since i got out of the military.

Some bad
Al ot great.
But keep on keeping on.

I did get back into the 6.0 world recently and I'm loving it. Posted some pictures in the what did you do to your 6.0 thread.

I also started a small just me owner/op trucking company with my own semi and flatbed and that's been mostly great to me.

Hope y'all have been doing well !

·
california deplorable
11,273 Posts
I believe the sp spec is gone and lv replaced it. The max life is lv.
thats what i found in my research as well. thanks man appreciate the back up.
pickedd up 3 gallons for this little project having a hard time finding the o rings for the 04 radiator trans lines...
but i'll find some

Been awhile but wanted to pop in and say hi to the old crew here.

Life has been insane since i got out of the military.

Some bad
Al ot great.
But keep on keeping on.

I did get back into the 6.0 world recently and I'm loving it. Posted some pictures in the what did you do to your 6.0 thread.

I also started a small just me owner/op trucking company with my own semi and flatbed and that's been mostly great to me.

Hope y'all have been doing well !
trucking operation sounds great. i have thought many times of doing something similar to fund my retirement
sounds like a good time to

Reactions: Treehick
41241 - 41260 of 41600 Posts