Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

40581 - 40600 of 40722 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Couple pics of a ride we took to other day. Just a quick trip up to Danskin peak. Over looks the south fork of the boise River and prairie id. Ive lived in this area my whole life, and its surprising how many places ive never been till buying this unit.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,964 Posts
Couple pics of a ride we took to other day. Just a quick trip up to Danskin peak. Over looks the south fork of the boise River and prairie id. Ive lived in this area my whole life, and its surprising how many places ive never been till buying this unit.

Some beautiful country over there! If Oregon keeps going the way it's going, i'll have you save a house for me! 😁

-jokester

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
This!!

If you ever want to know some good tips, tricks, and knowledge, pay attention to what farmers do and use. Their time is extremely important, and usually, they don't waste time with things that don't work!

-jokester
Be selective which farmers you watch. Some farmers use tie-wire and bubble gum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Some beautiful country over there! If Oregon keeps going the way it's going, i'll have you save a house for me!

-jokester
Lol, was just having this conversation with a buddy in Illinois last night. Lived out here years back and is trying to move back now. Problem is there just isnt anywhere to rent or buy without paying as much or more than just building new. Problem with that, as we all know, is materials keep going up along with land prices. So even a little 2 bed 1 bath junk of a home is going for $200k around here. Good for business but bad for buyers. Had a guy call and ask if my place was for sale the other day, said nope. Offered $400k, said not a chance. Thats what the county says my place is worth and bases my taxes on. Came back at $500k, still no but tempting. That's over twice what i paid to build 10 years ago. If i already had property and could wait till lumber came back down i would be much more willing to think about selling.

·
Premium Member
7,967 Posts
Baling wire is getting harder to find. We use more duct tape and twine nowadays. LMAO

·
Registered
666 Posts
Baling wire is getting harder to find. We use more duct tape and twine nowadays. LMAO
Gotta introduce you to ty wraps (zap straps) pairs well with duct tape. My camping go to quick fix (as well as jb weld).

LMAO

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Getting EGT's down when towing on a grade is like searching for the holy grail. I did a 4" turbo back (including hollowing out the catalytic converter so it is an empty shell) and it helped very minimal. Upgraded to an Owdags manifold, KD heads, BD exhaust manifolds and BPD 7.3 fan clutch. Saw a 150 degree EGT drop in daily driving, got all excited. Towing it helped a little but on the long grade I pull by the end of it I was still at the same 50-55 mph (dependent on outside temperature), gained a little bit of speed most of the way but not a game changer amount.
. Seems when we are towing on a grade the EGT's are going to be at the max - we are pushing the engine pretty hard at that point. My towing tune is Gearhead unlimited tow - it doesn't play with the fuel just shift points. Grade I run regularly towing is in above picture - I can maintain 65-70 mph on most of it just the last couple of miles where I have to back off
I put the CAT test pipe in, which is just a pipe, and went for a drive slick and I had slightly lower EGTs. I hooked the trailer to it and towed 12k flat and level, and I can tell a slight difference. Unfortunately, its about $50 in gas and three hours round trip to get to the mountains to give it a real test. From what I saw today, I’m expecting to still have troubles with EGTs, but marginally later than I do now.

I am thinking of a 4” exhaust, but I wonder how much that would help. I’d been considering a turbo back, but noticed they keep the CAT intact, so it really can’t get any bigger until post CAT. I also wonder how much thicker a 4” exhaust is from the stock exhaust.

I plan on spending the money for a CAT back 4” exhaust with the resonator as a muffler. Because they keep the CAT intact, I don’t see how the flow could be that much improved with a 4” turbo back exhaust.

I think when my EGT upgrades are done, I will be not much further from where I am right now. I was also looking at water meth and figured where I could put a 5 gallon tank. I know on these 300 mile trips I take one gallon wouldn’t be enough and 5 gallons would be more than enough, but still not sure how much that would take, or if I’d still be going up the pass at 40 MPH.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
project farm did a video on different penatrants but it has been a while since i saw it and dont remember the results...

i have had the best results with pb blaster or liquid wrench and or trans fluid with wd40
but the best i have found typically is heat.
When I see this, with just one to 5 LBS torque difference, none of these products makes a difference except for perhaps liquid wrence which is slightly more than 5 LBS. Heat definitely works.

I saw a different video with about the same results, except heat was not tested.

·
california deplorable
11,159 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hell i could BUILD a brand new volkswagon with nothing but bailing wire and duct tape 🤣
at least back in the day when i drove one.

When I see this, with just one to 5 LBS torque difference, none of these products makes a difference except for perhaps liquid wrence which is slightly more than 5 LBS. Heat definitely works.

I saw a different video with about the same results, except heat was not tested.
i havent watched that in a while and just dont remember the results...i guess i should now as i went and posted it :tard:
but yea i had a blazer with a bad fuel pump.(bad chevy fuel pump...shocking i know)
anyways the bolt to drop the gas tank were rusted to hell and being the gas tank i thought a torch was probably a bad idea...
took me like 3 months of spraying it with pb blaster every day after work two or three can later i got the tan to drop...
three months to drop the tank...20 minutes to change the fuel pump and have it back together...
typical 🤣

·
Registered
666 Posts
I put the CAT test pipe in, which is just a pipe, and went for a drive slick and I had slightly lower EGTs. I hooked the trailer to it and towed 12k flat and level, and I can tell a slight difference. Unfortunately, its about $50 in gas and three hours round trip to get to the mountains to give it a real test. From what I saw today, I’m expecting to still have troubles with EGTs, but marginally later than I do now.

I am thinking of a 4” exhaust, but I wonder how much that would help. I’d been considering a turbo back, but noticed they keep the CAT intact, so it really can’t get any bigger until post CAT. I also wonder how much thicker a 4” exhaust is from the stock exhaust.

I plan on spending the money for a CAT back 4” exhaust with the resonator as a muffler. Because they keep the CAT intact, I don’t see how the flow could be that much improved with a 4” turbo back exhaust.

I think when my EGT upgrades are done, I will be not much further from where I am right now. I was also looking at water meth and figured where I could put a 5 gallon tank. I know on these 300 mile trips I take one gallon wouldn’t be enough and 5 gallons would be more than enough, but still not sure how much that would take, or if I’d still be going up the pass at 40 MPH.
@ChrisSki

I put the larger cat (4" and hollowed it out) and as stated previously it did help a little - not a game changer amount though. The improved airflow with intake manifold/heads/exhaust manifolds made big EGT'S change daily driving small change on steep hills towing. LOTS of $$$ and still have to back off on the end of the grade I provided.

I did the mods for improved street performance (with my tunes HUGE performance improvement) with the hope it would lower EGT'S towing - definitely helped EGT'S towing on flat/mild grades but not on the big hill.

·
Registered
666 Posts

Wow that is some nice views. Glad to see you getting out and enjoying life considering how busy you have been.

Nice to see the unit getting used as well.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Wow that is some nice views. Glad to see you getting out and enjoying life considering how busy you have been.

Nice to see the unit getting used as well.

Thanks. I gotta make alittle time for the family once in awhile. This was Monday and we got lucky because my daughter's speech therapy was cancelled so i had the afternoon open. Been trying to put this thing through its paces so i know what kind of upgrades to do before Moab in August. The fender flares made a big difference with debris and such flying into the cab. Still throws rocks pretty good at anything over 50mph on gravel roads. We clicked over 500 miles on the odometer this trip, went about 120 miles in total.

I also put a big mouth intake from the air box to the turbo along with a cat test pipe on it today. Talk about a difference. Not alot louder as i kept the stock muffler, but you can here the turbski now and the spool is instant. Look at this turbo though, cute little thing. I think other than the front gusset, shock tower brace, and winch bumper, im done with it for now. Im trying to address known weak points that could leave me stranded with parts i would be doing at some point anyways. But i also wanna run what i can till it breaks then upgrade.

Oh also added a catch can but didnt seem to take any pictures of it. Quality unit for sure.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

My 4" turbo back doesn't have a cat, or muffler.... Came with enough pipe to deal with those 2 things. It's also a true 4" down pipe. Some kits use the 3.5" down pipe, which is the same as stock, just with better bends.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,967 Posts
Gotta introduce you to ty wraps (zap straps) pairs well with duct tape. My camping go to quick fix (as well as jb weld).
LMAO
Oh yeah zip ties are used all the time. I get a big bag at HF every time I stop there. along with their mechanic gloves and dark safety glasses. Can't beat the latter for cheap sunglasses, great for 4 wheeling and motorcycling.

Speaking of farmers... 🤣

View attachment 775674
Humor always works best when it's based in truth. Just like this

·
Premium Member
2,964 Posts
Humor always works best when it's based in truth. Just like this
My buddy always says, "There's a little bit of truth in every joke!" LOL

-jokester

·
Premium Member
2006 F350 SuperCab, 4x4, AT, Cab & Chassis, 9' flatbed, dually, studded/egr deleted
516 Posts
Past couple days, or maybe just yesterday and this morning, I noticed that my battery light was flickering and my battery voltage was under 12 until about half way to work.

Contacted my friend who rebuilt it at Indy Alternator and Repair in Mooresville and he told me to swing by. He checked it while in the truck, I removed it on the spot, he pulled it and took it apart, found a brush that popped right out, replaced it, helped me fix the the plug that came apart in disassembly, I reinstalled it, and after 50 seconds or so, showed 14volts at battery.

This whole process probably took 30 minutes. Half that time was either of us trying to find stuff.

The alt has a warranty, so he didn't charge me, even though I offered. He's local and a friend - why wouldn't I offer?!

Great guy, super swamped with work, can't find a decent person to train for the enjoyment and not for the money (have to stay competitive compared to throw away parts). Very thankful he helped me out!

Hopefully FICM is alright.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks. I gotta make alittle time for the family once in awhile. This was Monday and we got lucky because my daughter's speech therapy was cancelled so i had the afternoon open. Been trying to put this thing through its paces so i know what kind of upgrades to do before Moab in August. The fender flares made a big difference with debris and such flying into the cab. Still throws rocks pretty good at anything over 50mph on gravel roads. We clicked over 500 miles on the odometer this trip, went about 120 miles in total.

I also put a big mouth intake from the air box to the turbo along with a cat test pipe on it today. Talk about a difference. Not alot louder as i kept the stock muffler, but you can here the turbski now and the spool is instant. Look at this turbo though, cute little thing. I think other than the front gusset, shock tower brace, and winch bumper, im done with it for now. Im trying to address known weak points that could leave me stranded with parts i would be doing at some point anyways. But i also wanna run what i can till it breaks then upgrade.

Oh also added a catch can but didnt seem to take any pictures of it. Quality unit for sure.

Glad to see you get time for the family

That is becoming one really nice off road buggy - like all the updates you have done. That is a "cute" little turbo - wonder if Charlie could produce you a stage 2 . Kinda sucks about the debris over 50 mph - that could hurt.

Keep the updates and trip pictures coming - is nice to see.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Been a rough week for the wife and I. Our dog is old and this week was the downfall to his old age. He quit eating/drinking, problems with mobility (now living in the basement cause he cant do the stairs anymore) all in the last five days. We have made the hard decision and tomorrow he gets put down - hate this part of owinng a dog. Losing my best friend tomorrow - to be honest he was my wife's dog. He was the most gentle giant ever. 180 ibs and only saw his hackles 3 times. Only barked when it mattered - something was wrong and need ou attention. One of the best dogs I've owned - heartbroken. We put our female down just over a year ago as well, she literally displayed the same symptoms as him at the end.

40581 - 40600 of 40722 Posts