Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

40541 - 40560 of 40722 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Congrats to the judge:

"Judge overturns California’s 32-year ban on assault weapons, calling it ‘failed experiment’"

Nothing wrong with guns - I own 7 ranging from 22 cal to 7mm and 2 - 12 guage shotguns. These guns have never decided to go shoot up people in the 30+ years they have been in my possesion.

Glad to see sanity for once prevail - now if it would only happen here in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yep. Waiting for it to become the law of the land here in the United States.
Yeah it is just one of many things that require change.

AR15 is a versatile custimizable gun - must ban it

Moddimg my vehicle to improve performamce (and efficiency burning fuel - less emmissions) - must ban it

Oil (1000+ products we depend on are derived from it) - must ban it

Having different opinions/beliefs/etc - must ban it

The list goes on - WTF happened to freedom and doing your own thing?

I miss how the world was back in the 60's/70's - I could target practice with a 22 cal in our basement and no one in the neighbourhood said anything (was involved in competition shooting at the time-obtained sharpshooter level and many competitions won). Guns were displayed in a gun case - not locked up with trigger locks. Guns were in a rack in the back window of dads pick up when we went hunting.

FTW

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hey guys, quick injector question. I would like to add a little more power to the truck so the next step for me would be injectors. I've had 175/30's in my mind for a while now, only reason going with those over 190's is I don't want to have to do a fuel system. I ran into a guy at work who is running 190/stock with the stock fuel system and a KC stage 1 turbo (I have a Powermax). My end goal isn't huge, but I would like to be right around 500 hp without a fuel system so once I do injectors a KC stage 2 will be next on my shopping list and that (as of now) would be the end of my engine mods. Is there any benefit to go with 190/stock as opposed to 175/30? Would 190/stock or 190/30 be alright with a stock fuel system?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Strictly my opinion because I was shooting for what you are when I had my 6.0. That's the reason I went with the KC stage 2 when I did with stock fuel anticipating getting the bigger injectors. My plan was the 190/30 and a fuel system. I feel like if you are trying to avoid doing the regulated return and so forth you are falling into that infamous 6.0 trap of doing part of the work and then just causing more issues down the road. The way I understood it you could handle the 190/30s with just a regulated return and maybe add a sump to the tank and you should be fine. And tuning of course.

Reactions: Red Ford

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I am trying to get EGTs so when towing I don't have to slow down to 40 MPH to make it up a long 6% grade when towing 12k with my 6.0. For EGTs, I don't like to see more than 1250, but will stay at 1300. I am looking at different exhausts. I thought Turbo Back meant straight piped from the turbo, and CAT back meant straight piped form the CAT. I guess its user option about what to order with each system about whether or not the muffler and CAT stay in. The 4" systems look like they come with a resonator, which after a bunch of googling seems to be legal in Arizona.

I've also come to believe I'm not looking for a XXX degree drop in EGT like I had been looking for a 300 degree drop in EGT, but now I'm looking to be able to drive the truck harder before I reach my 1250 / 1300 limit.

Now, when I'm towing, I'm glancing at EGTs every few seconds to keep them down, especially when going up any incline. I made 280 miles total round trip towing the 12k trailer that included a couple of steep grades, with extended 6%. For those in Arizona, Northbound, that's I-17 Black Canyon City to Sunset Point and again at Camp Verde to Flagstaff; Southbound there was just one rise from Camp Verde to Highway 169. The one rise on the southbound trip was the worst. Both directions though, there were vehicles of all types broken down one every 5 to 10 miles. That's some real remote area to be broke down. Drives like that are in most states somewhere.

I also made the run slick and set the cruise control to 80 and EGTs his 1200 at 80 on those hills.

·
Premium Member
2,964 Posts
I am trying to get EGTs so when towing I don't have to slow down to 40 MPH to make it up a long 6% grade when towing 12k with my 6.0. For EGTs, I don't like to see more than 1250, but will stay at 1300. I am looking at different exhausts. I thought Turbo Back meant straight piped from the turbo, and CAT back meant straight piped form the CAT. I guess its user option about what to order with each system about whether or not the muffler and CAT stay in. The 4" systems look like they come with a resonator, which after a bunch of googling seems to be legal in Arizona.

I've also come to believe I'm not looking for a XXX degree drop in EGT like I had been looking for a 300 degree drop in EGT, but now I'm looking to be able to drive the truck harder before I reach my 1250 / 1300 limit.

Now, when I'm towing, I'm glancing at EGTs every few seconds to keep them down, especially when going up any incline. I made 280 miles total round trip towing the 12k trailer that included a couple of steep grades, with extended 6%. For those in Arizona, Northbound, that's I-17 Black Canyon City to Sunset Point and again at Camp Verde to Flagstaff; Southbound there was just one rise from Camp Verde to Highway 169. The one rise on the southbound trip was the worst. Both directions though, there were vehicles of all types broken down one every 5 to 10 miles. That's some real remote area to be broke down. Drives like that are in most states somewhere.

I also made the run slick and set the cruise control to 80 and EGTs his 1200 at 80 on those hills.
The problem with the passes around here is that most are not straight, but very winding. You can't go more than 50-55 before you have to slow down and lose all your momentum.

I would think you should easily be able to do 55MPH pulling a pass towing 12k without worrying about EGT's, depending on tune/setup.

I will say that I have The 4" turbo back on my '05 and my buddy is running the stock exhaust on his '04. He also runs stock tune and I'm running an 80HP PCM tune as well as the Atlas 40 FICM tune and our EGT'S are just about identical!

-jokester

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I will say that I have The 4" turbo back on my '05 and my buddy is running the stock exhaust on his '04. He also runs stock tune and I'm running an 80HP PCM tune as well as the Atlas 40 FICM tune and our EGT'S are just about identical!
I've been told by others my EGTs should not be a concern, but they are. I've had the fuel injectors, manifolds, Y Pipes, up pipes, and turbo replaced and this EGT problem still persists unchanged. The problem was the same on the stock tune and a basic 6.0 tune I run now.

The 4" exhaust is what I was looking at next.

I don't consider the EGTs a must fix problem, but I doubt whatever going on is good for the engine long term.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've been told by others my EGTs should not be a concern, but they are. I've had the fuel injectors, manifolds, Y Pipes, up pipes, and turbo replaced and this EGT problem still persists unchanged. The problem was the same on the stock tune and a basic 6.0 tune I run now.

The 4" exhaust is what I was looking at next.

I don't consider the EGTs a must fix problem, but I doubt whatever going on is good for the engine long term.
@ChrisSki Getting EGT's down when towing on a grade is like searching for the holy grail. I did a 4" turbo back (including hollowing out the catalytic converter so it is an empty shell) and it helped very minimal. Upgraded to an Owdags manifold, KD heads, BD exhaust manifolds and BPD 7.3 fan clutch. Saw a 150 degree EGT drop in daily driving, got all excited. Towing it helped a little but on the long grade I pull by the end of it I was still at the same 50-55 mph (dependent on outside temperature), gained a little bit of speed most of the way but not a game changer amount.
. Seems when we are towing on a grade the EGT's are going to be at the max - we are pushing the engine pretty hard at that point. My towing tune is Gearhead unlimited tow - it doesn't play with the fuel just shift points. Grade I run regularly towing is in above picture - I can maintain 65-70 mph on most of it just the last couple of miles where I have to back off.

·
Premium Member
2,964 Posts
If you had your druthers, which seat covers would you (or did you) go with any why?

Wet Okle
Marathon
CoverCraft
Something else...please elaborate

Aaaaaaaaaand,

GO!

-jokester

·
california deplorable
11,159 Posts
Yeah it is just one of many things that require change.

AR15 is a versatile custimizable gun - must ban it

Moddimg my vehicle to improve performamce (and efficiency burning fuel - less emmissions) - must ban it

Oil (1000+ products we depend on are derived from it) - must ban it

Having different opinions/beliefs/etc - must ban it

The list goes on - WTF happened to freedom and doing your own thing?

I miss how the world was back in the 60's/70's - I could target practice with a 22 cal in our basement and no one in the neighbourhood said anything (was involved in competition shooting at the time-obtained sharpshooter level and many competitions won). Guns were displayed in a gun case - not locked up with trigger locks. Guns were in a rack in the back window of dads pick up when we went hunting.

FTW

it is important to remember that the gov gets kick backs and huge taxes from the sale of vehicles and fuel. billions a year. maybe trillions.
they have no real interest in allowing real fuel efficiency it would cut into their bottom line.
same reason electric cars won out over other possible fuels and fuel cells.
electricty, is already taxed so its no great leap to raise those taxes for electric vehicles while we pretend to be green and wipe out the planet that much faster with batteries and their disposal every 7 years plus the devistation created from mining and building the damn things in the first place,
gov talks about saving the environment to pacify the feeble but they never really DO anything to make it happen...that's "the beauty of the system"...

If you had your druthers, which seat covers would you (or did you) go with any why?

Wet Okle
Marathon
CoverCraft

Aaaaaaaaaand,

GO!

-jokester
been running covercraft for 8 years on seats that were vandalized and they have been outstanding
i have the new leather i am just leery of doing the jump seat my self and wold feel better if the local pro ( who is really quite good) did them instead of me.
but getting that set up has taken a lot of time so...
anyways the seat covers have been outstanding

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,969 Posts

Wet Okle
Marathon
CoverCraft

Aaaaaaaaaand,

GO!

-jokester
I have loved my Wet Okole covers, Drivers side seat needs to be replaced, but I have had them a long time!

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
You know, I have lived in my house for 7 years, and there are still light switches that I don’t know what the hell they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2006 F350 SuperCab, 4x4, AT, Cab & Chassis, 9' flatbed, dually, studded/egr deleted
516 Posts
You know, I have lived in my house for 7 years, and there are still light switches that I don’t know what the hell they do.
I know a few people that have the same issue and that would drive me nuts! I pulled a couple switches out for a friend and no wires were even hooked to them, haha. 1 had wires, but cloth wrapped and ended in the attic with no power to/from it. And a circuit of receptacles randomly went dead on him and I traced it back to a single receptacle that the wires had just fallen out of it.

Thank goodness for breakers and junction boxes!

·
Registered
666 Posts

Might be switching wall plugs on/off?

·
california deplorable
11,159 Posts
well i gotta a weird one for you.

i am on my way to reno and i start to hear a whine then notice the steering getting stiff. im kinda freaking out get to the next exit and damn near lost brakes and steering.
i fill it from damn near empty (now i am really freaking out) and everything is fine. till i notice it is POURING out!
well i limp it to the parts store and check aroud and finally find the leak i had to buy a set of chickens feet to fix it but it was a hose that got lose? i have had a hose rupture but never just come lose on a truck i have been driving since 2012.
i got it ithgtened up and it doesnt seem to still be leaking so...but that is still not normal in my experience

·
Premium Member
2006 F350 SuperCab, 4x4, AT, Cab & Chassis, 9' flatbed, dually, studded/egr deleted
516 Posts

i am on my way to reno and i start to hear a whine then notice the steering getting stiff. im kinda freaking out get to the next exit and damn near lost brakes and steering.
i fill it from damn near empty (now i am really freaking out) and everything is fine. till i notice it is POURING out!
well i limp it to the parts store and check aroud and finally find the leak i had to buy a set of chickens feet to fix it but it was a hose that got lose? i have had a hose rupture but never just come lose on a truck i have been driving since 2012.
i got it ithgtened up and it doesnt seem to still be leaking so...but that is still not normal in my experience
Glad you got it figured out safely!

What's a set of chickens feet?

Reactions: MtnTallPaul

·
Registered
666 Posts

John

You gotta break that relationship you have with Murphy

His law (Murphy's Law) seems to apply to you more then others

Reactions: john galt

·
california deplorable
11,159 Posts
open end wrench that attaches to your ratchet.
i wanted a line wrench but oreally had zero line wrenches that went upto 3/4"
i had to get a set of chicken feet for 17 bucks as the cheapest option but it does go up to 13/16ths.
they are line wrench style in a chickens foot set. if that all makes sense

40541 - 40560 of 40722 Posts