Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

39141 - 39160 of 39225 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I guess I barely made it home safe after work last night with my backhoe trailer. I was hearing a screeching and deep resonating on the way home after work. Cut loose the trailer today and jacked the front right off the ground. The whole hub has about 1/4 wobble in each direction. Piece of crap timken has only about 30,000 miles. Stockers went 275,000. Can only find a National locally. We will give it a try.
That could explain why my hubs wouldn’t lock in auto while trying to climb a steep road at the jobsite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
New bearing I installed ended not being a National, but a Moog. The 30,000 mile Timken it replaced looked like a glitter-bomb went off.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Who is OEM manufacturer???

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Is my math correct ?

Hand calc
I traveled 430.5 miles and I put back in 23.752 gallons from last fillup and trip reset to 0.

I am getting 18.125 rounding up. Mpg. If so that’s really good. My trip meter on the truck says 17.1.

Been driving at an avg of 75 mph to and from my house and work. 121 miles each way. Light hills. For a few weeks now.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
Is my math correct ?

Hand calc
I traveled 430.5 miles and I put back in 23.752 gallons from last fillup and trip reset to 0.

I am getting 18.125 rounding up. Mpg. If so that’s really good. My trip meter on the truck says 17.1.

Been driving at an avg of 75 mph to and from my house and work. 121 miles each way. Light hills. For a few weeks now.

I'm not a mather, but it looks right to me.

-jokester

·
Registered
465 Posts
New bearing I installed ended not being a National, but a Moog. The 30,000 mile Timken it replaced looked like a glitter-bomb went off.

I like the description of the Timken bearing. That really sucks though - that is not many miles on it before it "blew up" . The Ex I just sold made 133,000 without a failure on front hubs. Mine is at 109,000 without an issue - but now that I have said something it will kick me in the backside :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Is my math correct ?

Hand calc

You are a math scholar - your numbers are correct. Trip meter is kinda like dash gauges for temps/oil pressure................IMHO :)

Wish I got that kind of mpg - mind ya my lead toe on the skinny pedal probably doesn't help :)

Reactions: john galt

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
You are a math scholar - your numbers are correct. Trip meter is kinda like dash gauges for temps/oil pressure................IMHO :)

Wish I got that kind of mpg - mind ya my lead toe on the skinny pedal probably doesn't help :)
Usually I get 12. That’s why this is so alarming lol. The trip to Massachusetts is decently flat and I think the steady highway is contributing. For having a grinding pinion bearing is say it’s real good.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
I was making my lunch a bit ago, and the wooden spoon I was using was making a cracking noise. Curious, and wanting to find the crack, I would flex it back and forth in my hands hands, trying to see if I could locate the noise, thus finding the issue. It took about 30-40 seconds of twisting and flexing, but I figured it out - it was the joints in my hands that were cracking.

Yes folks, this is what life in your 40's is like...

-jokester

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I was making my lunch a bit ago, and the wooden spoon I was using was making a cracking noise. Curious, and wanting to find the crack, I would flex it back and forth in my hands hands, trying to see if I could locate the noise, thus finding the issue. It took about 30-40 seconds of twisting and flexing, but I figured it out - it was the joints in my hands that were cracking.

-jokester
Ain’t that a fact!

·
Registered
465 Posts

-jokester
Wait 20 more years - knees, elbows, wrists..... list goes on. Also after working while kneeling you MUST grunt/moan to get back on your feet

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts

I've got a Timken on the driver's side front (somewhere in the 150k mile range) and a Moog on the passenger side front (probably more like 100k miles). I assume we are talking about the 4x4 unit bearings. If not, disregard.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I've got a Timken on the driver's side front (somewhere in the 150k mile range) and a Moog on the passenger side front (probably more like 100k miles). I assume we are talking about the 4x4 unit bearings. If not, disregard.
Yup.....and I heard the driver side sqreech today, I think. Once I cut the backhoe trailer loose, I will check it out. I have only had bad experiences with any aftermarket replacement part on my Ford trucks.

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
Yup.....and I heard the driver side sqreech today, I think. Once I cut the backhoe trailer loose, I will check it out. I have only had bad experiences with any aftermarket replacement part on my Ford trucks.

To be clear, the mileage numbers I listed are what's on the current bearings, not when they were replaced. Neither of the OEMs made it past 150k.

·
california deplorable
10,928 Posts
What tires did you go with?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk
kenati trail hogs.
got too good a deal on them and everyone who had a set loved them
well now me too!
basically a knock off duratrac quiet but them seem to dig studded and goos on ice... i like em

Is my math correct ?

Hand calc

lie o meter calims 12.5 o_O
warm up for half an hour before i go anywhere winter blend and stiction rearing its ugly head probably all contribute/
got to do an oil change today so perhaps that will help a bit. fingers crossed.
this thing IS my daily driver so...
oh and i have 2 tubes of grease for my grease gun that i put somewhere "safe" and now cant find ran out of grease on my last fitting ...

wait 20 years
i WISH i felt as good as i did in my 40's
I was bullet proof back then

-jokester
Wait 20 more years - knees, elbows, wrists..... list goes on. Also after working while kneeling you MUST grunt/moan to get back on your feet

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
my body is a symphony.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts

-jokester
I was so damn young in my 40's...

39141 - 39160 of 39225 Posts