Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

37261 - 37280 of 37680 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
My first thought is that when the lpop fails it's not uncommon to send fragments to the hpop and destroy it as well

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
On the other hand I had taken my truck and camper about 800 miles east to visit my parents and celebrate their 60th. I was seeing horrible fuel mileage one time breaking down to showing about 6.8. With a camper running about 8,500 lb. Would not hold overdrive for more than a few seconds at a time and generally only on a grade where you could actually see at least a slight downgrade. Yesterday we discovered that the centre plug on the ECM was only halfway engaged. We fully locked the lodge, and the transmission has being progressively shifting better. Just so much smoother running virtually 100% lockup except for quite noticeable upgrades. Once everything in the ECM seem to smarten up I disconnected my blue wire mod for the fan clutch and just let that function normally through the ECM. Temperature app about 2:13 to 2:19. I suspect my fan clutch maybe about halfway toast but so long as I'm honoured tearing it I can live with that. When you're in full lock up with no fan clutch at 65 mile-an-hour the truck is so gosh darn quiet compared to even the fan clutch which, in lockup you can barely hear anyways. Maybe it won't have to accidentally burn to the ground after all

·
Premium Member
11,779 Posts
02/04 would be a late '04 so the early style pump. OP are you sure they said the low pressure pump was bad? What did the pump and cover look like? Any scarring?

Reactions: john galt

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The new bumper is on, and I have to say I'm not too impressed. The over all quality is really nice but the execution of the installation hardware needed to be thought out more. They give you a place that bolts where the tow hooks used to and outlines the exact same 4 holes as your frame, so not sure why it's there but what ever. They welded flanges on the bolts which was nice and easy to install, however they were too long and interfered with one another so I had to cut them down. Unfortunately with that bracket that bolts to where the tow hooks used to, the bolts aren't long enough to be able to use the lock washer. With as much as these bumpers are, you would thing they would've seen the flanges are too big and supplied us with maybe 1/2" longer bolts.

Oh and in my state front plates are required but this bumper doesn't have a place to mount the plate. You can spend the $120 on their bracket though... I decided to just drill 2 holes. Other than that the steel is nice and thick, but the powdercoat is pretty fragile. I've heard of these things rusting out but Road armor says they've changed to a new powdercoat process so we'll see how it holds up.

Also I forgot to do an update on the Jeep. A couple days ago we took a road trip down to Utah to see some of her family and took the Jeep off road and put a few new scratches in it already... She definitely isn't happy but she learned what she did wrong and still like off roading lol, we've been toying with the idea of getting an old Cherokee or Wrangler as an off road beater so we don't have to beat this thing up.

Aaaaaand back to the truck, sorry for the long post but I wanted to give an update while it's on my mind. I've been reading into the carrier bearing and it sounds like the shimmy I'm feeling would be on acceleration. I get the shimmy on light acceleration sometimes around 35-50 but it's not repeatable and it does it when coasting. I don't feel it in the wheel though. Any other ideas? I ruled out the road, I drove the same loop I don't know how many times today to get it to do the shimmy and it did it a couple times but didn't really repeat it in the same spot, and our roads were just re paved last year.

·
california deplorable
10,801 Posts
02/04 would be a late '04 so the early style pump. OP are you sure they said the low pressure pump was bad? What did the pump and cover look like? Any scarring?
also...if you are doing the hpop...
go with an upgraded pump from
1[email protected]
2 or a terminator
3 or an adrenaline and do not under any circumstances find out ford is out of oem and wont have a new one for two weeks and get one from orealies figuring it should be fine...
it wont....ask me how i know
12 DAYS out of warraty :eek:

·
california deplorable
10,801 Posts
carrier bearing could be felt on coasting or deceleration...,mine was.
also check out the dirveline bolts and make sure they are all tight...mine werent.

a beater wagoneer with the 4.0 is a great idea.very capable easy to work on and inexpensive
and a lot harder to roll than a cj or...
my two cents so take it for what its worth but hey...you did ask :D
and lastly
that is a winch bumper? are you putting a winch in it?
i got mag light clips and a cheap fake plate and mounted the clips to the plate then bolted the real plate frame etc, to that so it covers the winch by snapping onto the rollers or it snaps off if i need the winch...
i do have a safety wire in case it falls off but so far no sign of any such troubles.

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,593 Posts
Also don't order one from For Diesels either. I decided to help a guy out with his truck and he just wants to get rid of it once it's running, we ordered a pump through them so he could save some money (not my decision). Been dealing with them for going on 4 weeks now, sent the core in first and I had to call a few days after it arrived and remind them i ordered something... First pump leaked straight out of the box. Sent it in for warranty and I paid shipping, they send me back a different brand pump that also leaked straight out of the box.

Sent the pump back so I could just return it and get the guy's money and core back. Talked to them about the first pump I sent back since I was supposed to get a return shipping label, pretty much got told that I don't know how to check my email. Each time this happened it's about 4 days in shipping each way, that's 8 days I'm standing around telling people they'll have to wait to drop a truck off. What should've been a 1 day job has turned into a month of dealing with crap customer service and faulty hpops.

I love helping people out, but it's really starting to bite me in the azz.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,271 Posts
Also don't order one from For Diesels either. I decided to help a guy out with his truck and he just wants to get rid of it once it's running, we ordered a pump through them so he could save some money (not my decision). Been dealing with them for going on 4 weeks now, sent the core in first and I had to call a few days after it arrived and remind them i ordered something... First pump leaked straight out of the box. Sent it in for warranty and I paid shipping, they send me back a different brand pump that also leaked straight out of the box.

Sent the pump back so I could just return it and get the guy's money and core back. Talked to them about the first pump I sent back since I was supposed to get a return shipping label, pretty much got told that I don't know how to check my email. Each time this happened it's about 4 days in shipping each way, that's 8 days I'm standing around telling people they'll have to wait to drop a truck off. What should've been a 1 day job has turned into a month of dealing with crap customer service and faulty hpops.

I love helping people out, but it's really starting to bite me in the azz.

ForDiesels sells their brand of remanufactured HPOP and they also sell the Bostech brand. If you remember, do you recall which one it was that caused all the grief? Maybe both? I am keeping track of all the problems people are having with all of the cheap brand of HPOPs (and the OEM remanned one as well). I am developing a decent list of threads that support the recommendation of buying only the HPOP from Dieselsite or the one from CNCFab. I do not think Terminator remanufactures them for the 6.0L anymore (but I could be mistaken on that).

many thanks!

Reactions: john galt

·
Registered
650 Posts
The new bumper is on, and I have to say I'm not too impressed. The over all quality is really nice but the execution of the installation hardware needed to be thought out more. They give you a place that bolts where the tow hooks used to and outlines the exact same 4 holes as your frame, so not sure why it's there but what ever. They welded flanges on the bolts which was nice and easy to install, however they were too long and interfered with one another so I had to cut them down. Unfortunately with that bracket that bolts to where the tow hooks used to, the bolts aren't long enough to be able to use the lock washer. With as much as these bumpers are, you would thing they would've seen the flanges are too big and supplied us with maybe 1/2" longer bolts.

Oh and in my state front plates are required but this bumper doesn't have a place to mount the plate. You can spend the $120 on their bracket though... I decided to just drill 2 holes. Other than that the steel is nice and thick, but the powdercoat is pretty fragile. I've heard of these things rusting out but Road armor says they've changed to a new powdercoat process so we'll see how it holds up.

Also I forgot to do an update on the Jeep. A couple days ago we took a road trip down to Utah to see some of her family and took the Jeep off road and put a few new scratches in it already... She definitely isn't happy but she learned what she did wrong and still like off roading lol, we've been toying with the idea of getting an old Cherokee or Wrangler as an off road beater so we don't have to beat this thing up.

Aaaaaand back to the truck, sorry for the long post but I wanted to give an update while it's on my mind. I've been reading into the carrier bearing and it sounds like the shimmy I'm feeling would be on acceleration. I get the shimmy on light acceleration sometimes around 35-50 but it's not repeatable and it does it when coasting. I don't feel it in the wheel though. Any other ideas? I ruled out the road, I drove the same loop I don't know how many times today to get it to do the shimmy and it did it a couple times but didn't really repeat it in the same spot, and our roads were just re paved last year.
Looks good. I just put on a ranch hand bumper that I found for $50, it was $800, just needs some bracket fab and powder coating, now. But damn, it's heavyyyyy, and there's not a good way to mount without a hoist. I think it weighs at least 150-250 lbs, maybe more.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
also check out the dirveline bolts and make sure they are all tight...mine werent.

a beater wagoneer with the 4.0 is a great idea.very capable easy to work on and inexpensive
and lastly
i got mag light clips and a cheap fake plate and mounted the clips to the plate then bolted the real plate frame etc, to that so it covers the winch by snapping onto the rollers or it snaps off if i need the winch...
i do have a safety wire in case it falls off but so far no sign of any such troubles.

View attachment 768956
How's the Valvoline extreme blue treating you so far? Mine seems to run a little hotter now that I'm using it, I've been running for 4-5 months, now.

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,593 Posts
ForDiesels sells their brand of remanufactured HPOP and they also sell the Bostech brand. If you remember, do you recall which one it was that caused all the grief? Maybe both? I am keeping track of all the problems people are having with all of the cheap brand of HPOPs (and the OEM remanned one as well). I am developing a decent list of threads that support the recommendation of buying only the HPOP from Dieselsite or the one from CNCFab. I do not think Terminator remanufactures them for the 6.0L anymore (but I could be mistaken on that).

many thanks!
First pump was bostech, 2nd pump was their brand.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

and lastly

View attachment 768956

I'll check on the driveline bolts, I assume it was taken out when they did the trans so it might not have been tightened down right. It goes in Monday for them to check the carrier bearing.

It is a winch bumper, it was the same amout weather it was for a winch or not so I decided some day I might get a winch. Unfortunately winches are expensive and I've never needed one so I doubt I'll get one but at least I have the option.
Looks good. I just put on a ranch hand bumper that I found for $50, it was $800, just needs some bracket fab and powder coating, now. But damn, it's heavyyyyy, and there's not a good way to mount without a hoist. I think it weighs at least 150-250 lbs, maybe more.

They are heavy haha, I think the shipping weight on mine was 275. I tried with jack stands but I found it easier to tape a bolt on the back side of the frame mount, then pick the bumper up and line it up. It will sit on 1 bolt on either side, then you just put the nut on and try to adjust it so the rest of the bolts will go in. I know they make retainers for bolts to do that, I'm just cheap.

·
Registered
650 Posts
They are heavy haha, I think the shipping weight on mine was 275. I tried with jack stands but I found it easier to tape a bolt on the back side of the frame mount, then pick the bumper up and line it up. It will sit on 1 bolt on either side, then you just put the nut on and try to adjust it so the rest of the bolts will go in. I know they make retainers for bolts to do that, I'm just cheap.
Luckily, the stock retainer nuts and bolts worked for me.

My bumper might be close to 275, but I never weighed it. Half in thick everywhere but the diamond plate.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well ****... I cut off my old license plate light connectors as they did not fit the new bumper, and connected new LED bulbs and connectors. They were working, now, none of my running lights work, except when i turn on the blinkers or brake. So, I switched back to the old connectors, and still the same... Damnit. Any ideas? Fuze #14 & #18 look good.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts

How cute.....my bumper is 529lb without the Warn 16,500lb winch. I am pretty sure that puts it over 600lb. Good thing I own heavy equipment, haha. I am certain it lowered the front of my truck over an inch in the last few years. So now my truck sits level after the backhoe trailer had previously lowered the rear, haha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
How cute.....my bumper is 529lb without the Warn 16,500lb winch. I am pretty sure that puts it over 600lb. Good thing I own heavy equipment, haha. I am certain it lowered the front of my truck over an inch in the last few years. So now my truck sits level after the backhoe trailer had previously lowered the rear, haha!!

Hahaha, hence the name. 600lbs, there goes any mpg gains... Lol

·
california deplorable
10,801 Posts

many thanks!
hmmm... i know i got a terminator and coudnt be happier with it.
i guess thsa my have been a couple years ago now.
Corey want making his yet so...?

How's the Valvoline extreme blue treating you so far? Mine seems to run a little hotter now that I'm using it, I've been running for 4-5 months, now.

my truck is running a tad warm foor sure but it may be the bumper lights a/c and near 100 degree days i am driving it in the mountains?
runs good though :)

i didnt weigh mine but it was freakin heavy especially with the winch i know the 4x shop i bouhght the bumper through on sale plus they paid tax installed it for less than the tax...i said hell yes do it i;ll go to lunch 🤣
but they used a fork lift to put it in place 🤣

Reactions: mbsfield18

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Does anyone run the SCT Livewire vision? Does it show a corrected speed on the screen for your tire size?

I gave up on the Hypertech idea so I was thinking of getting the CTS 3, but I already have the fuel pressure and EGT probe for my SCT X4, but the X4 won't show a corrected speed for bigger tires. Hopefully the Livewire vision does. I'm not opposed to the GTX either, it's just REALLY expensive lol. I don't need a tuner, just a monitor that will show the correct speed for bigger tires along with the other 100 gauges we get to watch.

·
Registered
650 Posts

Wait, why is your bumper so heavy??

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Wait, why is your bumper so heavy??

Lots of steel! My sons named it “deerslayer”

37261 - 37280 of 37680 Posts