Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

36521 - 36533 of 36533 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
35'll fit no worries.....37 baaarrreeely makes it in between the frame rails IIRC and usually requires some exhaust mod

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks, might have to give it a shot. I was kind of worried about a possible weight issue, but I guess that cables strong enough.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
FYI, for anyone contemplating getting a good Bluetooth OBDII adapter, if you use the code "FORSCAN20MX" at checkout for the OBDLink MX on Amazon you'll get 20% off. That knocks a little better than $16 of off the normal $79.95 price tag. It may work for the MX+ too, I didn't try it.
That would've been nice to have a few weeks ago

·
Premium Member
11,630 Posts
That would've been nice to have a few weeks ago

Actually, I think it probably was. I just happened to see it on the Forscan website yesterday. It's probably been there a while.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Yes it is. It will do up to 3/4". I priced a used Pines #3 that was built in 1966, retrofitted in 2008 to CNC, and they still wanted $325k for it.

Spending 17yrs in a steelmill, the equipment I used to fix was pretty impressive. This picture is a 14ft diameter turret bearing that I had to year apart, clean, and inspect. It took me 2 weeks by the the time it was ready to put back in an oil bath storage tank.

View attachment 767452
I operated and did most of the maintenance for all our machines for years. We had a 3/4, two #2's, a #3A, a #4, a #6A, and a #8A lowboy. Be aware when looking at use Pines machines the the A models are actually the next size down in capacity (3A is #2, 6A is #4, etc.). They just are an aircraft designation and are designed for large radii so get the next number up in designation because of the much less effort required to bend large radii. They are pretty easy to spot as the swingarms/slide plates are generally much longer.

Be careful of those retrofits unless they were done from the factory. We bought a 1980's Leonard VB300 that had been retrofitted and used some very substandard steel for a custom plate and adjusters to attach the chains to the swing arm. When it broke, the chains broke and the resulting mess took out all the bearings and bushings in the swing arm assembly. The work they had done made it so that you couldn't rebuild it with a factory plate and had to have a new plate machined from D2 to rebuild it. The electronics had to be upgraded to work with the CMM arm. Long story short, by the time we were done we had a rebuilt almost 30 year old machine that was about 80% the cost of a new one.

I like the 3/4 Pines. It is a great machine, but I found that the keyway area under the die mount is so long that unless you are bending a pretty large radius it interferes with a lot of down rotations. No big deal if you aren't using a mandrel as you can just reverse the part and rotate up, but it is a royal pain sometimes if you are using a mandrel.

When looking at a #2, realize that the die post and keyway are (or at least were) the same size and all the tooling will interchange with a #3. I don't know what your production plans are, but we bent 3" tubing on a 3" radius on a #2 all day long, every day for almost 20 years before the machine finally wore out. The last 10 years was mostly .065 stainless. They are tough beasts and as long as the swingarm bearings and slideplates are good, you shouldn't have much of an issue with a used one unless it was severely abused.

Here's a pic of a 5"x.083" setup on a 5 1/2" radius on our 8A. Swingarm was about 7' long as I recall. even with that 4" square cross brace holding the top of the die post and the cap torqued down to god only knows with an 8' cheater bar the die would still rock a bit on that tight radius.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Anyone else having TapaTalk issues? My phone did an update, the site id an update and now I can't access the sight on TapaTalk I get a white screen and the spinning wheel and nothing else, all my other forums load fine

·
Registered
765 Posts
Anyone else having TapaTalk issues? My phone did an update, the site id an update and now I can't access the sight on TapaTalk I get a white screen and the spinning wheel and nothing else, all my other forums load fine
The forum completely disappeared from Tapatalk.
I had to login to the website. Then a few hours later I was able to add the forum back to Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
The forum completely disappeared from Tapatalk.
I had to login to the website. Then a few hours later I was able to add the forum back to Tapatalk.
All the other forums I lurk on came back (including the Jeep forum using this same format) but I've had no luck with the .org

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Welp, logged out and back in (again) and now it appears to be functioning
SCIENCE!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,980 Posts
SCIENCE!!!!!!!!

Basically the way of fixing alot of computer issues, did you reboot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Basically the way of fixing alot of computer issues, did you reboot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Numerous times, logged out, back in numerous times, everything else came back except the .org
Was just about to delete and reload

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
SCIENCE!!!!!!!!

Mmmmmm, sounds like voodoo.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Science, black magic, same same
Now where did I put that jar of leaches?

·
california deplorable
10,447 Posts
I like mead. I like mead very much. :p
i have to get back to brewing...just havent had the time and money
everything seems to be going into the truck at present 🤣

35'll fit no worries.....37 baaarrreeely makes it in between the frame rails IIRC and usually requires some exhaust mod

correct me if i am wrong but with a four or five inch exhaust i seem to remember someone saying you needed to make the exhaust dump in front of the rear wheel to get a 37 to fit?
i haven't tried so...
just trying to regurgitate what i remember reading from others :p

we had some serious thunder and lightening this morning and they are calling for more throughout the day. i suspect we will get another great show at close to sundown and the temp shift sets in but...

36521 - 36533 of 36533 Posts