Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

35381 - 35400 of 35788 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,636 Posts
I am part of a different union. I got this new job about a year ago and after a few months, I felt like my ideas for improvement were not appreciated. I stopped putting those forward and am much more pleasant. I was also not bold enough to ask for something like an improvement to a process, only more on the lines of getting more info from the union on what they do for myself and my 11 coworkers in the section who pay 3 hours wages a month for union dues.

Your union should have something of a collective bargaining agreement which will detail the process of how to make the changes.
They take your 3hrs a month, put half in their pockets and send the other half to democrat candidates. At least that's what the UAW did when I was in a union shop.

·
Super Moderator
12,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #35,382
Well that was an interesting night lol. An apprentice walks up to me and tells me I can't use my own drill on a job site. My first reaction is WTF but I ask him where he heard it and it states in our union contract that employees cannot use personally supplied power tools (battery, plug in, air, or gas operated). As a carpenter I'm supposed to wait for each guy to be done with the drill so I can use it I guess lol.

Is anyone part of a union / know how to put forth motions to change a contract? I feel like instead of saying we can't bring our power tools it should say the employer should not require us to bring our own tools. I just have no idea who to talk to or how to put forth a motion to change that..
I'm not a member of a local, but I work in a Union shop Plywood Mill. Talk to members of your plant committee and your on-site reps, they're the ones who can pass it up the ladder to your higher ups that then negotiate the new CBA with the company during a contract year. Until the current contract is up though and the company goes to the table, you're more or less locked in.

I'm assuming though that like in my plant it's a control that's in place for safety reasons. Likely not really part of the CBA, but part of the company safety policy. Due to OSHA, the company is required to make sure all plugs are 3 prong grounded, grinders and such have deadman switches (not the ones you can "click" lock into place) etc. etc.... since it's really hard to control what each craftsman brings onto the site, it's easier for them to say "no home-brought tools" and provide you with them instead. That being said.....at least in my maintenance department we have more than one drill to choose from out of the tool crib :look: and that way don't run into issues like this and as long as your maintenance supervisor isn't shortsighted and trying to "cut costs" by not providing you guys the right tools (a REALLY stupid common practice IMO) you'll likely have better luck going that route than trying to get a contract change.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,773 Posts
I'm not a member of a local, but I work in a Union shop Plywood Mill. Talk to members of your plant committee and your on-site reps, they're the ones who can pass it up the ladder to your higher ups that then negotiate the new CBA with the company during a contract year. Until the current contract is up though and the company goes to the table, you're more or less locked in.

I'm assuming though that like in my plant it's a control that's in place for safety reasons. Likely not really part of the CBA, but part of the company safety policy. Due to OSHA, the company is required to make sure all plugs are 3 prong grounded, grinders and such have deadman switches (not the ones you can "click" lock into place) etc. etc.... since it's really hard to control what each craftsman brings onto the site, it's easier for them to say "no home-brought tools" and provide you with them instead. That being said.....at least in my maintenance department we have more than one drill to choose from out of the tool crib :look: and that way don't run into issues like this and as long as your maintenance supervisor isn't shortsighted and trying to "cut costs" by not providing you guys the right tools (a REALLY stupid common practice IMO) you'll likely have better luck going that route than trying to get a contract change.
I am a union ironworker. Our constitution is what mandates these scenarios. For instance in our local if your personal tools are broken or stolen on the job it’s the contractors responsibility to replace them for you. That being said we have the choice to bring our own power tools to the job but if I take my $400 Milwaukee high torque impact to work and break it or some one steals it, do you think that the contractor is going to replace it with the same thing I had or better? Hell no. They are going straight to the hazard fraud and getting you one of those Hercules POS to replace it with. And hell I’d rather destroy (in an accident of course) their $750 hilti impact that they give us to use every day then potentially lose my hard earned $400.

Like Nick suggested, it’s likely to do with safety BS and makes it common ground for all contractors to abide by in that locals jurisdiction, so that they don’t end up with bigger issues at hand with hefty fines from OSHA etc. Paying a few extra hours per year is pennies compared to potential safety fines and violations on a contractors record.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm in a union, also in maintenace. There ain't no way I'd bring my own power tools from home to use where I work. To many ways for it to get stolen, water damaged or lost in a dark hole. But my company provides all tools needed. We have a crew locker for bigger stuff like power tools we all share, four guys maximum. Along we assorted hammers,socket sets, torque wrench's, pipe wrench's etc. My personal locker at work has my own electrical meter, welding gear, burning gear, some small sledge's, files, wrenches, adjustable's, electrical connections etc.. but like others said all our tools have to be made with three wire's if corded tool and cordless have to have guards etc. Our metabo's can only be a certain brand because of the type of brake it comes with. Tell your boss you need more than one drill on site.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,773 Posts
I'm in a union, also in maintenace. There ain't no way I'd bring my own power tools from home to use where I work. To many ways for it to get stolen, water damaged or lost in a dark hole. But my company provides all tools needed. We have a crew locker for bigger stuff like power tools we all share, four guys maximum. Along we assorted hammers,socket sets, torque wrench's, pipe wrench's etc. My personal locker at work has my own electrical meter, welding gear, burning gear, some small sledge's, files, wrenches, adjustable's, electrical connections etc.. but like others said all our tools have to be made with three wire's if corded tool and cordless have to have guards etc. Our metabo's can only be a certain brand because of the type of brake it comes with. Tell your boss you need more than one drill on site.
lol. You call grinders metabo’s in your trade as well I see. Lol. That’s funny chit.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I always called them a grinder until I moved to this department. Lol. They always corrected me when I said grinder.

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,375 Posts
Break the rules, it's a union it's impossible to get fired. <-- Ruffle some feathers shall we? Lmao

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,375 Posts
Insert ruffled feathers here
vvvv :)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It's alot easier than most think. Lol. No ruffled feathers here but just saying. I've seen guys get fired for all sorts of minor things. Biggest anymore is attendance and incidents.

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,375 Posts
It's alot easier than most think. Lol. No ruffled feathers here but just saying. I've seen guys get fired for all sorts of minor things. Biggest anymore is attendance and incidents.
I'm just kidding, but I really do think it depends on which union you're in. Every one I've been a part of was worthless. Companies break union contract and the union seems to take years to figure something out. They're always on time for dues though. Just my experiences, I have friends who love it. Like the Ford plant in KC, everyone there loves the union.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It does all depend. Our union just screwed us about a year ago, with our pension. We're on a "10 year recovery plan"

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The ol' Ford wouldn't start this morning. She fired off and then quit. Plugged in the block heater and put a charger on the batteries. It was 25 degrees this morning.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The reason we can't bring our own tools to work is because they don't employers to give one person preferential treatment because they have their own tools. They want equal opportunities is what my BA told me.

I bring all my stuff to work. I have my own Makita coordless drill set, skill saw, vacuum, nail guns, jig saw, router, fine tool, grinder etc. and I always use my own stuff. I'm a finish carpenter and when a company hands me a Ryobi belt sander to scribe with, it is just a pain and usually things get messed up. I know my tools and I know my limits of what I can and can't do with my tools and usually that is the make or break when it comes to some of the fixtures I deal with where you get one shot at it.

On another note, I got my truck back. He said the EPC solenoid was on its way out which dropped the line pressure down 50 PSI. All in all I paid $4k. Oh, and it still has a shift flare when it's cold so I get to call them back today... I'm wandering if it's a shift point issue though, it doesn't shift out of 3rd gear until about 3250 RPM. I have the SCT X4 and I was thinking about messing with it but I have no idea what I'm looking at or what to change. All the WOT shifts are set at 0 MPH and the shift pressures are all set to 0%.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
The 6blow turned 103 today on the way to reno.
The Cummins has seen less than 3500 miles since june 2018.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Mine started. Took it to get a new front door...ended up having to order what we wanted. What a waste. Got salt and road grime all over it now.

·
Premium Member
7,636 Posts
Mine started. Took it to get a new front door...ended up having to order what we wanted. What a waste. Got salt and road grime all over it now.
That's why mine's sitting down by the barn next to the 7.3, They don't go out in the salt. I have driven it a few times this winter since we haven't had much snow.
We had about an inch Friday, they put another inch of salt down for good measure. On top of that my phone went off at 5 AM to let me know they cancelled school. Lite fluffy snow that was gone by noon.
Damn, back in my day there had to be 2' or more of snow, course we walked, uphill, both ways....:nod:

Still on stock head bolts :look:
That's pretty good, I have 185k on mine with TTYs

35381 - 35400 of 35788 Posts