Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem building boost pressure. i can't peak over 20-21 psi. i have a few mods as well. here is the list : edge juice w/attitude platinum-hot unlocked, fuel pressure reg. upgrade spring, upgraded banjo bolts, airdog 2 165, upgraded stand and dummy pipes, upgraded stc fitting, egr delete, 5" exhaust, afe stage 2 intake, zoodad mod, water meth. truck 2005 has 92,000 miles. thanks in advance.:crazy:

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Has it always been 20-21psi, or did this happen after certain mods?

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not that i noticed, i was playin in it the other day and noticed i wasn't makin as much boost as i had in the past (average 25 psi)..... i am leanin towards intake elbow leaking where i tapped for the meth.... but not sure

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so you mentioned a crack somewhere.... i went out and looked at it, and i found a 1/8" lont crack where i tapped my elbow for the meth. kinda hard to see unless i am on the right angle.. could that be my problem?

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
ok so you mentioned a crack somewhere.... i went out and looked at it, and i found a 1/8" lont crack where i tapped my elbow for the meth. kinda hard to see unless i am on the right angle.. could that be my problem?
It could, your gonna need to mix up a soap/water solution, spray it on crack, have someone throttle it to see if the soap/water solution bubbles. You also need to check the up-pipe/y-pipe flex joints for soot deposits which would be a crack in them pipes. Take a good look at the IC boots, especially the one coming off the turbo, sometimes the rip is noticeable, sometimes they rip just under the clamp where you can't see the rip.

I had cracked one of my ports for water/meth on my CFM+ elbow, used a poxy like JB weld to fix the cracked plastic around the brass insert.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know my exhaust isn't cracked cause i just had my turbo off to do the stc upgrade and checked it. now it may be my IC boot on the turbo, its been on and off quite a few times ( i will check it.) i have been thinkin bout replacing my intake elbow anyway... lookin at the s&b it has the ports and high flow rate.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
i know my exhaust isn't cracked cause i just had my turbo off to do the stc upgrade and checked it. now it may be my IC boot on the turbo, its been on and off quite a few times ( i will check it.) i have been thinkin bout replacing my intake elbow anyway... lookin at the s&b it has the ports and high flow rate.
Just because you checked it, doesn't mean that it couldn't have just happened, reinstalling a turbo and aligning the exhaust pipes take a toll on the flex joints.

The only thing your gaining on a aftermarket elbow is the tapped ports, your not gaining any more air/flow, the main restriction is the intake manifold and ports of the heads. You might as well stick with a stock elbow, unless you like wasting money and want a fancy one.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok how do i check the y-pipe w/out pullin my turbo i have a big head and can't get it under the cowling....:hehe: also thanks for the input on the elbow. i won't waste my money on the expensive one just get one with a port (and so it looks pretty :thumb: )

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I used a skinny stick with a ribbon on the end. Started the truck and put the stick up near all my joints until I saw the leak wiggle the ribbon. Of course, some areas I needed a flash light to watch for the wiggling of the ribbon.

Last year I bought some smoke bombs after the 4th of July. Plan on next time, just "blowing smoke up the tail pipe".

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok cool i will go try before it gets dark, also who can't resist blowing a little black smoke on that annoying ricer next to ya?!!!! :icon_ford::woot:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE

ok checked all joints and couplings i could with the ribbon and light all seemed good:thumb: . and check my intake elbow at the water/meth fitting had lots of bubbles.... so i pulled the fitting and put some thread tape on it. sealed it for now... dont know how long it will hold but yeah. don't have time right now to go for a ride i will post the results maybe later tonight...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts