Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at 182,000 miles, my 6.0l has bit the dust.

how hard would it be to bolt in a 7.3, will it bolt up to a torqshift tranny? I sure I will need all wireing and computers as well, but is there anything else that is not obvious that I will need.

·
Lt. Negativity
1,739 Posts
No it wont bolt up. What exactly happen to it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
12 Valve !

·
Don't mind me
27,557 Posts
Curious as to what happened to it also.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it started blowing oil out of the water resivour.

why wouldnt it bolt up? my dad has a 03 with a 7.3..... what are the diffrences?

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
it started blowing oil out of the water resivour.

why wouldnt it bolt up? my dad has a 03 with a 7.3..... what are the diffrences?
Oil cooler went:doh:

6.0 has different engine mts, Completely different trans, PCM,TCM Driveshafts. Just to start

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Does the 6.0 still run?

·
Registered
117 Posts
oh noes! the cummins crowd. whatever floats your boat man. make a conversion kit for the 7.3 and sell the plans :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts

if your truck still runs its probably the oil cooler. I had this happen on mine and it really makes you think your truck has died. Mine had 198000 when this happend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if the truck still runs then its probably the oil cooler. I had this happen to mine at 198000 miles . I really make you think your truck has died

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It still runs. If I change to oil cooler how do I get the oil ot of the rad and everthin else?

·
Don't mind me
27,557 Posts
Flush the system. I am sure that it is more involved than that but it gives you a starting point. Maybe one of the techs will chime in.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Flush the system. I am sure that it is more involved than that but it gives you a starting point. Maybe one of the techs will chime in.
Yup flush system replace oil cooler and drive truck:thumb:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will have to fix it before I flush it or it will just dump more oil in it correct.... can you use any kind of detergent or anything like that?

Also is there anyway to tell for sure its the cooler and not the head gaskets? I would hate to spend the money on a new oil cooler and still have to replace the motor.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Shoot Scuffy828 a PM. But im about 98% sure its the oil cooler

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I pulled the dipstick after my last post and there doesnt appear to be any water in the motor but its hard to tell because there wasent much oil on the stick either. I would think if there isnt any water in the motor then it isnt head gaskets.

Sounds like the 6.0 will live agian!!!!!!!!! now I just need to fine a oil cooler for cheap because I'm currently laid off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Haven't people totally removed the oil cooler?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont think thats possible, there are people that have completely removed the egr cooler. I made a write up on how to do that a year ago or so.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts