Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is f-250 crew cab long bed and I'm looking to buy 5th wheel trailer that weighs over 11,000 lbs 35' lg and the hitch weight is 2560 lbs.
My truck can pull 15,700 lbs but it's pay load capacity is on 2068 lbs it's says never exceed this weight occupants and cargo. The people selling the trailer says that it's made for 3/4 ton truck. I need some advice on what max payload weights and hitch weight for a 5th wheel (fuzion 322)

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
truck will do it, get some air bags for the load though and honestly yeah it may not be 'legal' but lots of guys pull over their legal weight.. we all have.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The people selling the trailer says that it's made for 3/4 ton truck.
Yeah, the people who sold my GF her 24' 8K fifth wheel swore up and down she could pull it with her 85 Chevy C10. With a 305 and 3.07 gears.

Air bags are a must. You would be able to equalize the load to add more weight to the front axle and transfer weight back on the trailer axles. If/when you get it, take it straight to a truck stop and scale it out.

When you are dealing with a fifth wheel hitch, cargo capacity goes out the window. My owners manual says with a fifth wheel, my rear axle weight goes up to 6084 lbs. Empty weight for my truck is 2880 so I can add 3204 lbs. Hitch weight on my combo is 4620 total but it also took 40 lbs off my steer axle. If I had airbags I could add more weight on the steers and trailer axles by leveling the truck.

BTW, my truck is an 01 F250 7.3 auto with 3.73.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My truck is f-250 crew cab long bed and I'm looking to buy 5th wheel trailer that weighs over 11,000 lbs 35' lg and the hitch weight is 2560 lbs.
My truck can pull 15,700 lbs but it's pay load capacity is on 2068 lbs it's says never exceed this weight occupants and cargo. The people selling the trailer says that it's made for 3/4 ton truck. I need some advice on what max payload weights and hitch weight for a 5th wheel (fuzion 322)
What year is your truck?

The some of most important things to check are;

1. The load rating of your tires, make sure you have the right rated tires to do the job.

2. For an F-250, airbags may not be required, but will make your life alot easier.

3. You can license your rig to haul over the factory rating. There are hotshots out there hauling over 40,000 lbs. with a F-350 dually everyday.

4. Know your per axle weight rating (empty and loaded). Go to a scale house and weigh in empty first (per axle). Then see if you can haul the trailer to the scales and do an per axle weigh in loaded. This will give you an idea where you're at.

Every truck weighs in differently as well as the trailers. You can have the exactly the same truck side by side, but it will weigh in differently. Anyone telling you telling you different is either a idiot or have no experience whatsoever.

These are just some of the things to know and check. The factory rating is for the warranty work and guidelines. They are required to provide some information on the weight rating to the consumer.

More importantly, when you purchase the fifth wheel remember to have fun with it. :thumb:

·
Registered
402 Posts
I just realized that this is an older tread.......................Well did you get the trailer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts