Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be upgrading to the bigger style filter and pan here just as soon as it arrives, but I went through a bit of issues with attempting first a snugging the original pan, then a cheap rubber only gasket, then finally silicone +original reusable gasket recently, and wanted to make sure I'm not missing something (clearly before I had).

My understanding of the procedure is

1. Pull the old pan/filter
2. Let it drip dry for a couple of hours
3. Clean the mating surface
4. Place new filter/pan
5. Torque to 11 ft. pounds
6. Refill with Mercon SP (circa 16 qts.)

I did recheck the flange with a straight edge prior to the mistake with the cheap rubber seal. On trying the second time with the RTV and the original reusable gasket tried to hammer the pan flange straight as best I could to see if I could get a seal -- I know this was horribly misguided, but I was desperate to get my truck moving and I thought it was worth a try.

The leak doesn't appear to be coming from anywhere else, just the pan seal. Didn't leak until I got 10 quarts in on attempting with silicone. Could my original attempt to snug it up have just been due to the seal mating surface contamination from the originally existing leak?

·
Premium Member
7,750 Posts
Don't forget the canister filter

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I'd add to your procedure:

4. Place new filter/pan
5. Hand/lightly wrench tighten fasteners in evenly alternating roundrobin pattern - corners first
6. Torque to 11 ft. pounds in evenly alternating roundrobin pattern
7. Refill with Mercon SP (circa 16 qts.)

I realize that it is somewhat obvious. ...but it might just be to us and not someone else rolling along in the future.

·
Administrator
29,363 Posts
The oem reusable gasket should by design prevent pan distortion at the bolt holes
I would just make sure you have a new $$ OEM gasket
and the dripping for a few hours is not needed because the gasket can have fluid on it unlike a gasket sealer surface

·
Registered
144 Posts
It might be worth while to replace the dummy plugs while you've got it open.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
16qts??? It might just be me, but that seems a little excessive...

-jokester

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good call 16 is for a deep pan like a derale IMO

a reg should be like 9
A few sources day the capacity is 16 quarts. I am trying to go off the dipstick though, just a quart at a time. I did Blow out the cooler too, but I don't think that's anywhere near the 7+ quarts difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It might be worth while to replace the dummy plugs while you've got it open.

Are you referring to the dummy plugs on the oil supply rail in the valve cover?

I'm not familiar with dummy plugs associated with the transmission...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd add to your procedure:

4. Place new filter/pan
5. Hand/lightly wrench tighten fasteners in evenly alternating roundrobin pattern
6. Torque to 11 ft. pounds in evenly alternating roundrobin pattern - corners first
7. Refill with Mercon SP (circa 16 qts.)

I realize that it is somewhat obvious. ...but it might just be to us and not someone else rolling along in the future.
...Always tighten the pan bolts from the center out.
So sort of like this (attached).

bc its not circular?

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Are you referring to the dummy plugs on the oil supply rail in the valve cover?

I'm not familiar with dummy plugs associated with the transmission...
There are dummy plugs in your tranny. The factory plugs are plastic and the replacements are metal. I've been told failure of one of these plugs starves the tranny and is catastrophic. I got mine from Accurate Diesel. They are simple to change but be ready to catch the fluid when you pull the first one. The first pics are of the factory plug, it resides beside the direct drive solenoid. The last pic shows the replacement plug installed. IIRC the 05 and older have 5 plugs, the 06 and newer have 1 plug.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
About the tightening pattern... I corrected what I put. The "corners first" should have been on the initial loose fit. If you don't get the gasket spread out across the corners, you might end up stretching them near the corners with the fasteners.

That said... I put "roundrobin" as the method. Ford's official workshop manual is to tighten them "in a crisscross pattern."

Any pattern that gradually applies pressure across the entire gasket is fine, I am sure.

Attachments

Reactions: lhejl

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
A few sources day the capacity is 16 quarts. I am trying to go off the dipstick though, just a quart at a time. I did Blow out the cooler too, but I don't think that's anywhere near the 7+ quarts difference.
16 quarts is a bone dry tranny and includes the torque converter. The torque converter doesn't empty out during the service.

·
Premium Member
7,750 Posts

·
Administrator
29,363 Posts
His first post he said he ordered a deep pan and is waiting on delivery.
folks call the OEM 5r110w pan deep compared to the 5r110 pan because it holds another 1/2 quart and has a deep recess for the filter

you can hardly tell the difference between the two OEM pans

1 - 20 of 39 Posts