Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I have a early '04 F-250 with the 5R110 and I am wondering if it's possible to swap it with the 5R110 from a '08 F-250. Both trucks are 2WD. I know they are the same transmission, but are they ?... I know the '08 is going to be a 6 speed ( correct ? ), and mine is a 5 speed... Is there a computer or control issue ?? And what about flex plates, torque converter etc.... ?? Is it a simple in and out or is it even possible..

Thanks everyone !!!

Dan

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
Almost a direct swap. You'll either have to use the 6.4 flex plate or swap the torque converter. The internals are slightly different, but basically just updated parts. The gears are the same, both have 6 speeds, they just never use more than 5 on any upshift.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost a direct swap. You'll either have to use the 6.4 flex plate or swap the torque converter. The internals are slightly different, but basically just updated parts. The gears are the same, both have 6 speeds, they just never use more than 5 on any upshift.
I'm a bit confused.. So your saying that I will have to put my 6.0 flexplate on the 6.4 trans w/ the 6.4 torque converter ??

Dan

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
The 5R110 behind a 6.4 had 8 torque converter studs, behind the 6.0 it only has 6, IIRC. So, if you use the TC that comes with it, you'll need to swap the flex plate on the engine to a 6.4 style with 8 holes. If you want to use your 6.0 flex plate, you'll need to swap the TC. If you are changing transmissions due to a failure, do not use your old TC, get a new one. I'm pretty sure they sell an aftermarket flex plate that has both bolt patterns too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G8,

Awesome !!! I got it !!! Thanks for the insight and help !!.... Learn something new everyday !!!!

Dan

·
Administrator
29,334 Posts
the 8 studded 6.4 has a different stall speed also so using a rebuilt 6.0 TC may be better

if you previous transmission had a metal in fluid failure make sure you replace the air to oil cooler and flush the other cooler and lines

1 - 6 of 6 Posts