Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

55mph red mark

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  BryanH 
#1 ·
So i was driving home tonight on a 55mph. And got to thinking.....What is the red mark at 55mph mean on the speedometer??? This is on a 95 F250 Powerstroke. I have always wondered what this means??? Anyone the real reason???? Red usaully means something bad...when comparing to all the other gauges on the truck.

#2 ·
Ive always theorized that that was probly the projected speed where you would get the best fuel economy. Im not sure but I know allot of vehicles have it. :dunno:

#3 ·
I think alot of it may be due to fuel economy, and when the trucks were new, that was real close to all highway speed limits for every state.

#5 ·
I always assumed it was the speed limit in most areas such as here in Ohio on most roads.

#7 ·
It used to mean the max speed before the states all started upping the limits on the open highways. Or at least that was always my thought. They did away with it on the dashes when the limits increased to 65-70 and up.:thumb:

#8 ·
I had read somewhere at some point(1970's I think) that it was determined that 55mph was the peak of fuel economy which is where the standard 55mph speed limit came from. But with the use of computer controlled engines and overdrive transmissions it has become somewhat obselete. Not sure why the automakers still put the mark there.

Granny, just because you can't read the signs anymore doesnt mean they got rid of the speed limit. :hehe::hehe::hehe:

#10 ·
Granny, just because you can't read the signs anymore doesnt mean they got rid of the speed limit. :hehe::hehe::hehe:
:doh: Poor Granny. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt that she can still read.

Man, that was funny.

#15 ·
I think you are really gonna catch hell for that one. She might not be able to read, but she can still get up on a chair and beat you silly! :hehe:

I think I am gonna get hell for that too. :doh:

Sorry Granny, all in good fun! :wink[3]:

#13 ·
my truck does get better fuel mileage at 55 according to the meter in the cab i can get up to 22 mpg if i drive it easy with my programmer set on extreme but as soon as i push it up to 75+ it drops down to 18.5 to 19, but i didnt buy my psd to worry about fuel mileage, i bought it because it is just so friggin cool

#14 ·
alright. well it sounds like there is no "true" answer to what its there for, but everyones ideas make sense. My guess would have to go with fuel milage and the old highway speeds. but i :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.