Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 6.0 a month or so ago. Coming out of a 5.9 6spd that made 525/1000 and I want to get this thing to around 550-600ish so I can be happy with it. All the maintenance stuff is done. Egr delete, O-ring'd heads, studs etc... Built trans is next on the list... What turbo/fueling setup would you guys recommend for 550+?? Kind of want to do a non vgt. Truck doesn't get driven everyday but I still need it to be DD-able. As far as towing I only really tow my drift car (5000lbs maybe) with it and the occasional other truck maybe once every yr or two. Lets hear some suggestions!

·
Registered
177 Posts
look at MTW stage 3 turbo and 190 injectors for starters. then think about intake and exhuast manifolds for better air flow. that and all the supporting mods like a fuel sytstem, intake and exhaust, and monitoring.

Thats just a start. 400-450 hp is easy but 550-650 cost money

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
Subscribed.....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure if I want to go MTW for turbo. Really would like to do non vgt if It can be practical... and yeah 400 definitely isn't enough. I have Vivian's tuning in it now and it runs good just not like the power I am used to... anybody with any experience with the 64 or 66mm non vgt setups?? and as far as money goes in the next year I'll be able to spend some $$ on it so not to worried about that

·
Registered
177 Posts
what about compounds then?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
An s362 and 190's should put you in the 500's somewhere, but will be pretty smokey. A ported intake manifold, ported and polished heads, and headers will help all that out a good deal. I believe 190's could be turned down enough to tow with, assuming you never want to haul more than what you say.

Compounds will for sure let you do anything you want. But, I will warn you, doing a psd is way more expensive than a cummins, all the piping and tuning are what drives the price up. a good combo would be 205/100's and s362 or s364 over and s475 or s480. I had a 364/475 combo and loved it, had 500hp file for unlimited towing and my race file put me around 675hp at the wheels. I had the truck live tuned so that made it all work together flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Non VGT's as singles on 6.0s get laggy

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a little laggy is ok. I don't not want compounds, but for what it will cost in the end I don't know if I can justify that much money... how about a diverter valve to help out on the lag a little? or are they not too effective?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I've ran two non vgt's on my truck already with 190/75's...62/65/70 and a 64/71/70. I am currently running a MTW hybrid with billet wheel. To be completely honest...coming from someone who has ran non vgt's....i'd really consider going with a MTW modded vgt. I'd look into either a stage 2 billet with a set of 175/75's or 190/75's.....that'll put you in your horse power goal. Should be able to tow really awesome. You'd be able to tow waay better with a modded MTW vgt rather than a non vgt IMHO.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats good to hear. Going to have to talk to MTW and do some more research. Pretty sure I want to do 190/100's probably so just have to see what will work best with that... any recommendations as far as the fuel system? Kind of want to stay away from AirDog because it seems like they are having quite a bit of issues with them

·
Registered
177 Posts
the regular airdog150 with a sump and aeromotive or fuel lab pump with one more 2 micron filter in there and your favorite regulated return would be a complete setup
airdog 2's seem to be the problem children, but use the regular airdog as a pre-pump

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
You don't really need an Airdog. A sump to a water seperator/filter to a Fuelab or Aeromotive A1000 to a 2 micron filter with a RR setup. That'll save you about $500. For power the MTW stage3 with 190/100's is proven to be capable of 600+ hp. Add a ported intake and a good exhaust like the Steed Speed manifolds and you should easily see 650. Add a water/meth setup and you should be banging on 700 and still have a vehicle that will tow your drifter with no problems.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
exactly what Mitch said. I have a sump to a low pressure FASS feeding a fuelab then straight to the front of the heads....then the RR takes over from there. Or you can just use a low pressure FASS or an Airdog150 feeding the factory pump...i did this for a while with no issues feeding my 190/75 injectors.

·
Registered
177 Posts
at what point should guys start looking at building up their tranny to match the power mods?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Stock tranny's with the right tuning have held at 550hp. However there are some that have made over 600hp on stock trans. It's all in the tuning.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My airdog II has never given me any trouble. When I installed it, I did use bigger guage wiring though, read that helped out with keeping the pump motor alive.

As for the tranny, if you buy all that stuff and putt around, it'll live forever. If you drive it like you want your money's worth, you'll trash it. Even, just the tunes alone can trash some of them when people drive like 18yr olds. Check out BTS, Twizted transmission, suncoast, and John Woods. I had a suncoast and really liked it, my wife's 6.4 has one in it and it hasn't flew apart or even acted like it. She probably dials up about 600hp or so every day on it.

Has anyone actually pulled some big loads(12k+) with the MTW 2,3, or 4? I read the thread on the 1 and was impressed. Would like to see how either holds up under sustained high heat and stress. The track or a redlight is one thing, but having it work under double+ weight would really be the make or break for them for the general public.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I pulled 13-14k lbs with my Hybrid and 155's. It had lower EGT's than the stock turbo but it also got about 2mpg less.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I will let everyone know about the towing, once I get the transmission in my truck, get it live tuned and have a tow tune writen for the combo I have 200/150, stage 3 I will hook up to some loads for review. I'm glad that I have my truck running so I can test all the stuff I produce, Nate and anyone that knows me can tell you that I will beat, pull, race, and plain pound on the truck and turbo. I have already had things happened that would have destroyed a non vgt turbo, I was hammering the truck and the tansmission flared, 2-3 gear nothing and I bounced of the rev limiter, normally a non vgt turbo would go into overspeed and compressor wheel would blow apart, well not this turbo, and I have done it about 6 times. So that's why I'm getting a transmission, my driving habbits are not letting the transmission last long at all.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
This one's gettin good.:popcorn2:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts