Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi yall,

Got back from Afghanistan picked up an 04 f250 xlt fx4 already got a full EGR delete from FCDP ( I highly recommend these guys) and the upgraded oil cooler that Ford came out with. I plan to get a new 18mm head gasket, ARP head studs and a 5" exhaust of some sort in the future.

Aside from a tuner what can else can I do to make this truck truly my own. I have been trying to look into some interior swap. Looking at maybe doing a leather captains chairs and a center counsel. I have a supercab so the question would become what could I do to spruce up those bench seats in the back.

I know there are sever threads discussing parts and rigs, but I want your folks' opinions on your dream builds. Or at the very least some imaginative ideas or concepts to things that people haven't done.

Other potentially useful information:
AM/FM Stereo 6 disc in dash CD player
Electronic locks, mirrors
Car alarm
slide in bed liner

I absolutely love my truck and in all likelihood it's gonna be the last truck I ever get.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the links, I've been reading those in my free time, but I'm more curious about things like leather interior swaps, and rims and anything else that people would love to see but don't have the money or patience to do.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks for your service..............my son's coming back from Iraq soon.

What color is your truck? You have the same year/body configuration as mine, I love this truck as well, when not used mine is garaged, I'd like to keep this one for good as well. Don't forget to keep your cooling system flushed and refilled with ELC, and a CCV vapor recovery system will keep that oily slime off your couplers. The only other thing is keep an eye on your batteries, (if they are originals replace them ASAP) weak batteries will fry the FICM.

Take care, John

BTW, here's my Super Duty towing home my son's Super Coupe with a fresh paint job.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Delta John I appreciate you and your Son tell him a fellow soilder wishes him luck, and if he needs anything sent food magazines etc. pm me his fob adress and Id be more than happy to send him a box or two. Great lookin truck, and good advice I'll be sure to check out the battery situation when I get off of leave. But to answer that question the best I can describe it, I have a slate grey color to my truck. Found a really nice set of leather seats at a junkyard north of me. Almost thinking about it but Id rather get it fine tuned first if ya get what Im saying.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this thread didn't last long... in spite of this, and so I don;t have to annoyingly start another thread ( annoying to you folks) I will pose the question here and I'd appreciate yalls input.

As you've seen if you read above, I purchased FCDP's full EGR delete (manifold and up pipe) and the newer OEM oil cooler ( mesh screen filter).

However it kinda dawned on me since I will already be balls deep in the engine that I might as well replace the:
manifold gasket
get new turbo rings and seals
Get the ARP Studs
Head gasket
and install new gauges for EGT's, boost pressure ETC.

I have searched through the threads and I have not found a comprehensive list of everything that should be done as soon as the EGR is deleted... I have read how to "bullet proof" my truck, however I do not have the time or the money especially to do all of that work this second. I just need to know what I need to do right now so that I don't have to rip through my engine bay multiple times when I can do it all at once.

Some day I will grab a tuner, and get a 5" exhaust, but right now im more concerned with not having to conduct open heart surgery on my engine more than once. lol Much luv all and thank you for your input.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would do as much of the bullet proofing as you can while you are in there. Get some sort of monitoring for it too. A lot of guys go with the Edge Insight CTS/CS if they dont go with pillar gauges. I prefer the insight personally because you can monitor so much more with it than just a few pillar gauges. As far as a tuner goes most guys including myself go with a SCT with custom tunes from a vendor of your choice.

I would like to do a interior swap as well i have the split bench up front and want to go with the individual buckets with the big center counsole. When you get around to that you should post a write up about how it goes. Enjoy the truck and welcome home!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
thanks for your service man.

that being said go all out if you can on the motor now and then dont worry about it.

idk if you saw it or it was on your list but do the blue FPR spring and updated turbo oil drain.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the input, just waiting now to see if my multiple contacts can find those freakin expensive arp studs for less. I'm still looking to see if I can find OEM interior or at least some from a wrecked vehicle its saddly slow going. But I will keep everyone posted. As far as the edge cts/cs I think it is the best bang for the buck seeing as how alot of those gauges I have seen are expensive individually.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gaskets and studs

Ok so I have noticed that on this forum people only seem to like the best, ARP Head studs, I understand they are made from a kick *** material but I was curious about the studs that you can order through autozone or other places. Does anyone have any experience with the Victor Reinz stuff from autozone?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
There are 2 companies that I know of who make studs for the 6.0, ARP and Elite diesel had their own, the H-11's.

Victor Reinz headgaskets were hot for a minute, but it's the consensus now to NOT use them, there have been many reported failures.

What on earth is this improved oil cooler from Ford, I've never heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The upgraded oil cooler was released by Ford because the original had a paper like filter, the new one has a mesh screen and I believe its a tad larger... The guys at FCDP had them, they recommend replacing it while installing the Full Delete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts