Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have found a donor truck for my 5 speed swap, it is a 93-95 F250 ECLB XLT with a 351 V8 Gas with the 5 speed 4x4, Guy will take 1000$. Not sure on the year, i will post when i find out for sure. Will this truck work as a donor for my 97 PSD 4x4? Is the tranny the same? I really want a donor like this so the swap goes more smoothly than just buying a tranny and going by the wind trying to figure things out lol.

Will also be stealing power doors and more goodies for my XL :D

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Tranny will not bolt up. I do believe Ford trannys are engine specific when it comes to a 7.3, I do know that one from a 351 will not bolt up though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i just got a new bell housing? or is it one piece? also heard they will not hold the same amount of power, i would upgrade the clutch of course

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
i've never heard of someone using one from a 351. I know you can use a 460 5 speed, you just have to still out 2 holes I believe it is.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
if i just got a new bell housing? or is it one piece? also heard they will not hold the same amount of power, i would upgrade the clutch of course
Unfortunately all one piece. Life would be much easier if you could just change the bell housing wouldn't it.

i've never heard of someone using one from a 351. I know you can use a 460 5 speed, you just have to still out 2 holes I believe it is.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will
Are you sure? I thought a 7.3 needs a tranny from a 7.3 and a 460 needs a 460 tranny. That's the way I understand it, when my friend was looking at doing a 5 sp swap I was told that by someone who knows what they are talking about, not saying you don't, but just saying it came from a reputable source.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
a 351 trans will NOT work and it is an all aluminum hosing with a fixed bell housing.

$560 one will not work either with out modifications

Ford made 2 ZF5s that will work for you

1. ZF5-s42 FROM A DIESEL. produced from 87-95
2. ZF5-s47 FROM A DIESEL. Produced from 96-99

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Zf6 will work lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a 351 trans will NOT work and it is an all aluminum hosing with a fixed bell housing.

$560 one will not work either with out modifications

Ford made 2 ZF5s that will work for you

1. ZF5-s42 FROM A DIESEL. produced from 87-95
2. ZF5-s47 FROM A DIESEL. Produced from 96-99
Thanks! I was really hoping it would work because i wanted the doors and cruise haha o well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts