Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the advantageous of 4 inch or 5 inch exhaust (turbo back)? I have heard various advice on the two. I would like to hear from a professional on this subject. Thanks. Sportsnutim

·
Registered
631 Posts
What are the advantageous of 4 inch or 5 inch exhaust (turbo back)? I have heard various advice on the two. I would like to hear from a professional on this subject. Thanks. Sportsnutim
Not a pro, but from just reading around here 4" is all you will ever need unless your building over 500hp. Also from reading around, the bigger ya go, the lower your EGTs. Im working on collecting pipe to do a custom 5" on mine, not bc im making the power, but bc i like the sound :thumb:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i would like 2 do a 5" on both my dodge and Ford !!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just installed my 5 inch and love it. It really took the High pitch V-8 sound out of it and made it alot lower tone. Sounds more like a diesel now if that makes since.

It looks good too IMO. Install was very easy. The hardest part was getting it all adjusted correctly. I think it took 2.5 hours to install? I cant remember the exact time.

My EGTs have lowered about 150 degrees with the cruise on and driving 60 MPH. Im just above 500 degrees now. And when I pull into my driveway It would normally be around 450 - 475 degrees and now when I pull in and stop its around 374 - 400. Accelerating I am about 100 Degrees cooler if not more depending on grade of the road.

W

·
0 Posts
I just installed my 5 inch and love it. It really took the High pitch V-8 sound out of it and made it alot lower tone. Sounds more like a diesel now if that makes since.

It looks good too IMO. Install was very easy. The hardest part was getting it all adjusted correctly. I think it took 2.5 hours to install? I cant remember the exact time.

My EGTs have lowered about 150 degrees with the cruise on and driving 60 MPH. Im just above 500 degrees now. And when I pull into my driveway It would normally be around 450 - 475 degrees and now when I pull in and stop its around 374 - 400. Accelerating I am about 100 Degrees cooler if not more depending on grade of the road.
compared to stock???

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i love my 5"

exhaust pipe that is

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
i dunno man 5 in is pretty loud

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i dunno man 5 in is pretty loud
yeah it is, especially with a ww and gutted housing. It SCREAMS when you get on it. Almost scary sounding:icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
it damn sure did in mine, and im 17 too!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My 5" sounds great!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm new to the forum but have a lot of exp. with powerstrokes and turbo's. Unless you are making huge hp, the 5" is overkill unless you just want the deeper sound.

A little exp. I have a turbo 1993 mustang street car making about 1000 hp to the crank and I used a 4" downpipe and exhaust worked flawlessly. That was with a 76mm. I have since stepped up to an 88mm which will give me about 1000 rwhp and will be using a 5" DP and exhaust but really I could use the 4" stuff. I know my car is not a diesel but it is the same theory.

·
Lifetime Premium Member
6,100 Posts
5" is merely for sound.I love mine.I have had both 4" and 5"..no diff in power over the 2.IMO.

·
Registered
106 Posts
5" is merely for sound.I love mine.I have had both 4" and 5"..no diff in power over the 2.IMO.
I don't know if this applies to diesels or not but I know if you add an exhaust that is to big/ flow wise, you can actually lose hp because your backpressure gets to low. This is on a turbo car though so it may not be true on a diesel.

My suggestion is, never run a exhaust that is too big for your combo.

·
Lifetime Premium Member
6,100 Posts
I don't know if this applies to diesels or not but I know if you add an exhaust that is to big/ flow wise, you can actually lose hp because your backpressure gets to low. This is on a turbo car though so it may not be true on a diesel.

You are correct,However,didnt seem to lose any here or gain.:thumb:

·
Registered
187 Posts

The turbo makes enough back pressure, it don't matter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts