Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone , just wanted to report that i installed the MBRP 5 inch turbo back exhaust . Went really well no wrench throwing or cursing rage fits :thumb: I decided to do something custom and welded on two 5 inch V band flanges and clamps on the 5 inch staight section and made up a same size section using two 5 to 3.5 reducers and the stock cat , basicly i can unbolt the two band clamps and easily put the cat back on for the impending 2010 emmisions inspection here in NY . In place now is obviously the 5 inch pipe . So i had some welding to do to set that up the way i wanted . Id recommend this 5 inch exhaust it even clears the spare and i was able to accomplish this in my driveway alone . A sawzawl is usefull a 11mm socket and a Migwelder nice but not needed unless you want to do like i did . Sounds nice and seems to have added more power though i did bump the programing up 40hp from the 100hp i was running before .

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
That sounds nice, MBRP seems to have great stuff. I've seen their kits, and I have a tip. Just the tip but it's top notch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can you take some pictures of this custom job? Sounds like an amazing idea and I'd like to see the setup!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice job..:thumb: Powerstroke engenuity is a great thing:icon_ford:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got them locally ( LongIsland NY) from a place called SK Speed (631) 957-9525 . For the 5 inch the two flanges and clamp were $80.00 x 3 less a few dollars minus one clamp ( Got just the flanges on set 3 3rd clamp could be used as a spare ) it wasnt cheap but will save alot of headaches should i need to return the cat to its place , sell the truck ...etc. I wish i would have picked up another clamp in 3.5 for the Downpipe that is a slip fit . and clamped with a muffler clamp . At any rate mission accomplished

·
Registered
274 Posts
yea i want to get me 5in mbrp exhaust. how much did it run you and where did u get it from

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got it from Xtreme diesel performance in lakewood N.J ( Search on yahoo put in Xtreme Diesel ) I think it ran around $500 Turbo back Shipped

·
Registered
274 Posts
k thankx alot

·
RIP Mitch ! We miss you
11,966 Posts
That is a dynamite setup. I don't mean to take away anything from your setup, it is a killer job but you could have done the same thing a LOT cheaper by using straight band clamps and butting the pipes together. Cost for 2 band clamps is about $20 bucks and no flanges or welding needed.

Oops! Sorry I forgot you still have to weld transitions from 3.5" (Cat) to 5". but all in all a much cheaper solution that $240 for the V clamps

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know i could have went the band clamp route but i like to go the extra mile and like the durability of the V band ........... as far as sound goes its pretty roudy look up on Youtube " 5 inch MBRP exhaust" theres a few clips to satisfy your wishes ( Not me though) try it youll like it :thumb:

·
RIP Mitch ! We miss you
11,966 Posts
No question about the security and robustness of your V band solution. It is the most solid way to connect them and make sure they stay that way. I'll have to check of the sound when I get home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts