Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
USMC 0311
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys like the title says, my 4x4 wont degengage. Had to lock it in to pull a trailer today in a field, everything worked fine, then when I was ready to leave the 4x4 wouldn't disengage. I have the electronic shift on the fly. Oh and truck is an '06. Tried putting it in neutral holding brake and switching it...no good, tried letting it roll forward and backward and switching.... no good, tried letting it roll and shifting to neutral and switching it... still no good, Checked all the fuses that have anything to do with the 4x4 they all seem good. Had the wifey try it while I smacked the T-case actuator motor with a hammer, and still nothing. Im all out of ideas. :dunno: Any one got anything else to try? Need to get this fixed, I have a 700 mile trip next week. :eek:hnoes:

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Ok guys like the title says, my 4x4 wont degengage. Had to lock it in to pull a trailer today in a field, everything worked fine, then when I was ready to leave the 4x4 wouldn't disengage. I have the electronic shift on the fly. Oh and truck is an '06. Tried putting it in neutral holding brake and switching it...no good, tried letting it roll forward and backward and switching.... no good, tried letting it roll and shifting to neutral and switching it... still no good, Checked all the fuses that have anything to do with the 4x4 they all seem good. Had the wifey try it while I smacked the T-case actuator motor with a hammer, and still nothing. Im all out of ideas. :dunno: Any one got anything else to try? Need to get this fixed, I have a 700 mile trip next week. :eek:hnoes:
Did you ever put it in reverse?

·
Registered
307 Posts
has happened to me a few times on my 05, i hate the esof.

have you tried to disengage 4x4 while driving like 15-20 mph? another shot try and manually unlock the hubs and then switch the knob off. the vaccum lines may be going out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know this sounds dumb but the my father in law had the same issue. The fix? Drive backward longer. His was stuck in 4lo, I did the same things, checked fuses, pulled actuator it looked good blah blah. Drove backward about 1000' feet and it made a good awful clunk noise and went into 2wd. To the best of my knowledge it has not had any further issues. Good luck, i hope everything works out.

·
USMC 0311
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never had to lock the hubs they were on auto and it was only in 4hi not 4low. Yea tried switching going down the road at like 15-20mph I had to drive it home in 4hi and was messing with it the whole way. I did try it in reverse but I didn't go very far. I guess I will try and back up farther.

·
USMC 0311
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think if it were the hubs sticking or a vacuum issue the 4x4 light would go off but the hubs would stay locked. This doesnt happen, the light stays on, meaning the issue is in the T-case.

·
USMC 0311
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody know how to take the T-case actuator motor off and disengage 4x4 manually?

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
they can be a pain sometimes, put it in park, then nuetral, then forward slow, then back slow, then nuetral, then park, that will pop her out. Mine will come out of 4high on the go, but to get out of 4Lo i have to do the procedure above.

·
USMC 0311
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:bump::bump:

·
USMC 0311
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok now I'm pissed... Tried everything listed above and nothing works so in an attempt to see if it was the actuator motor I switched it to 4lo and wouldnt ya know it it went to 4lo. But now the damn thing wont go back to 4hi let alone 4x2. So, now I know my actuator motor is good so its got to be a relay that reverses the actuator.... right?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Someone stated there are two relays next to the fender area. He said switch them around and if it works then you know.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Try swappin the two relays and see if it goes to 2wd. If so just need a new relay

·
USMC 0311
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the only relay that the manual says has anything to do with the 4x4. I took it out and looked at it. Lolls good. Turned it around and up it back in... Still nothing. Don't know what other relay you guys are talkin about. My truck is a 2006. If that helps any.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I had the issue and I told ford my 4low cyliniode was bad. They told me it was fine. Some trucks are just worse than others. That if they are in any kind of a bind they won't go in or out. But it will go in 4hi and back to 2wd just fine. So they showed me at the dealership what to do. Stop the truck put the truck in neutral switch to 4hi wait a second if it doesn't go ease foward in drive real slow about 10-12 feet. Then stop put the truck back in neutral. Wait as long as 30-60 seconds and it will always come out. That works for me every time.

Then after that the guy threw me a curve ball by telling me I am suppose to drive like 10 miles to make sure the hubs are fully disengaged. I think if you back up a truck length it will unbind and be all good myself though.

·
USMC 0311
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, i saw your post on the other one i subscribed too. Tried it.. didnt work :banging: Im about to take the actuator motor off and see if I can switch it to 4x2 manually.

·
USMC 0311
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
can somebody send me a pic of the 2 relays everyone is talking about that can be switched? Mine only has one under the hood on the drivers side fuse box, posted a small pic above of mine. I checked the ones under the dash too.. they look good. So if I'm missing something please let me know

·
Registered
271 Posts
take the driveshaft out, or keep rocking it back/forth like everyone says.
Dunno what else to say lol. You're in a sticky situation

·
Premium Member
19,999 Posts
This may be a long shot, but....on my '01 once it had been raining very heavily while I was on the freeway. The 4x4 light came on, but I hadn't turned the ESOF switch or anything. When I got near my house, I had to make a stop at the bank. I switched the truck into 4-lo and back out to see if I could get it to clear. Well....I had a two-mile drive home in 4-lo. Wouldn't come out. Tried backing up, neutral...blah, blah. The next day I took my wife's car to work. When I got home I got under the truck and found that one of the connectors on the T-case was loose. Wasn't fully seated. I don't know how that happened, I don't go off-road. Anyway, I seated the connector and after that the ESOF has worked fine every time.

So...I am offering as a suggestion as something else to try. Good luck.

·
USMC 0311
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha Man I hope thats it. Had to drive in a somewhat rough field yesterday and then it has been pouring here since so I'll go check the connections. :please:

·
USMC 0311
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I checked the connections.... the 2 on the actuator motor all seemed snug and clean looks like im takin the motor off to check out the inside. Thanks for everything guys

1 - 20 of 45 Posts