Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing to purchase a 2000 7.3L Limited Excursion 4x4 from a friend of mine. He said he suspects the transmission may need some work.

Any ideas on the cost of a transmission rebuild for this beast? Will it require a rebuild on the transfer case?

I live in NW Houston area, any recommendations for shops that are capable of working on this issue competently?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Diesel Innovations is in Houston they used to build a good 4R100 but I am not sure if they do anymore I don't see it on their website, might want to give them a call. The transfer case should be fine they are very durable and last a long time, it would be a good idea to go ahead and change the fluid in it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a preference for the Transfer case fluid. I would like to change most of my oils to Royal Purple or Lucas products. I have had excellent results from them in my Gas vehicles ( 2005 Titan, 2007 Suburban, 2008 Armada).

I will check them out. Do they do all the work of installing it or do they just do the rebuilds?
Appreciate the heads up.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
The transfer case takes regular Mercon ATF the cheap stuff works fine.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Bone stock rebuild with install roughly 2500 bucks. I would upgrade if it was me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bone stock rebuild with install roughly 2500 bucks. I would upgrade if it was me.
What would you upgrade to? The price I am picking the Excursion up for gives me some wiggle room but I was wanting to put a ranch hand bumper and some serious aux lighting on it when I first got it.

quick background; I am buying this excursion because I need a 4x4 for driving oil filed lease roads out here (W. Texas, New Mexico) during the winter. The 7.3L Excursion is actually perfect due to the reliability of the engine, the interior room (I haul a lot of gear on my 10 hr drive from home). Between the real probability of a deer using my truck as its method of suicide and how incredibly dark it gets out here neither of my wants are really frivolous.

thanks again,

Reactions: comvet42
1 - 9 of 9 Posts