Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here's the deal. we had a big rain storm today and after i went to pick up the trees in my yard. well i wanted to put it 4WD and noticed the light didnt come, so it got me thinking. so i had the ol lady back up and pull up with it in 4H as i watched the front axle, nothing. so i locked the hubs and the axle turns but still no light. i dont know if was really in 4WD or the axle was just turning. so i took it down the road on auto hubs and stopped, put it in 4H and started going again. no light. did the same in locked and no light still. but you know how you can feel its in 4H on dry road it slows down quicker than 2H. so i dont think the 4wd is engaging.

any advice on where to start looking would be great.

oh yea and i just replaced all ball joints and brakes in front. using the ball joint kit from powerstroke store through here.

sorry for the lengthy thread too guys.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Check the transfercase motor that engages the transfercase. Also check the switch to see if it is working properly. You will need a volt meter to check these items out.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
another way to tell if its in 4wd on the road is by turning ....the front tires will bind up on the road you can feel it like your going over rocks or somthing....but as for your problem i have no idea but someone should be in to help you out ....good luck

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more info bigcountry i know my way around repairs and stuff but i need details. like if i need to do an ohm test or voltage and what they should read. and where is the motor for the TC

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
more info bigcountry i know my way around repairs and stuff but i need details. like if i need to do an ohm test or voltage and what they should read. and where is the motor for the TC
Do voltage tests on the switch and the t-case motor. I check the switch first. Then if that is working properly I put the switch in 4hi and check the voltage at the t-case motor. If you have voltage at the motor but it is not shifting into 4wheeldrive then your motor maybe bad.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got it guys. i dont know why but i guess for some reason the pigtail on the TC motor was loose. i pushed it till it snapped and tried the 4WD switch and it switched over. so thank god it wasnt anything really wrong, cant afford it right now.

thanks again bigcountry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts