Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, have a 06 F350 crew cab KR with a four wheel drive issue. Key on engine off, the 4x4 and low range lamps come on as they should then cycle off. Key on engine running no warnings on dash. Go to switch it from 2H to 4H nothing happens, no clicks, nor lamps on the dash saying 4x4 has been engaged. Put truck into neutral go to shift from 2H into 4L same issue. Check the switch switch tests okay, swap it with another known working switch still no change. Check power going to the 2 relays under the hood on drivers side by the battery power is getting to 2 out of the 4 terminals on each relay connector. Check for signal power as per service manual wiring diagrams at the t-case no power is going to either connector. Didn't have a TON of time but following wiring diagrams and reading other forums it seems like the 4 wheel drive module can be an issue with these trucks. Swapped with a known working one and no change what so ever.

Scanned for fault codes using a Snap-On scanner have the following -

P1876 - Transfer case 2wd solenoid circuit fault\
P1828 - Transfer Case counter clockwise shift relay circuit fault
P1820 - Transfer case clockwise shift relay circuit fault.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay following wiring diagrams checked all fuses with a test lamp. Here are the following and their locations.

CENTRAL JUNCTION BOX UNDER LEFT LOWER SIDE OF DASH -

FUSE 45 - 10AMP - IGNITION SWITCHED POWER GOING INTO 4X4 MODULE
FUSE 19 - 10AMP - BATTERY CONSTANT VOLTAGE GOING INTO 4X4 MODULE
FUSE 27 - 15AMP - ESOF SOLENOID (ELECTRIC SHIFT ON THE FLY SOLENOID)
FUSE 33 - 15AMP - VPWR (NOT SURE WHAT THIS STANDS FOR - SOMEONE PLEASE VERIFY WITH VPWR IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
FUSE 34 - 10AMP - BRAKE PRESSURE SENSOR

BATTERY JUNCTION BOX LEFT REAR OF ENGINE COMPARTMENT CLOSEST TO FIREWALL

FUSE 3 - 30AMP - 4X4 RELAYS UNDER HOOD LEFT SIDE -

All of these fuses have power going to them. Not a fuse issue.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Needing assistance here, chased the two fault codes for the clockwise and counter clockwire rotation of t-case motor - service manual tests wanted me to test for voltage and check the circuits between the 4x4 relays under the hood on the left side and the 4x4 module behind the glove box, all okay no open circuits all voltages within spec.

·
Administrator
21,471 Posts
Ok so you have 12vs and you've inspected the connectors.

Did you test for 12vs at the xfer case motor?

Can you do a continuity test between the xfer case and the relay out put as well as to ground?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
revive an old thread as I still havent gotten this issue resolved. Came across another thread of a guy who had an open circuit between circuit 85 on both 4x4 relays to the 4x4 module. Checked mine for continuity and do not have an open circuit. Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I know the codes are pointing to an electrical fault, but have you checked the vacuum lines? Seems like all your Voltage is passing. My 12 year old vacuum lines are getting very brittle.

When I switch from 2H to 4H or 4L, I never hear anything. Surprised I don't hear 4WD engaging. I know 4WD works, because I don't switch until I'm stuck, and once it's in 4WD, my tires quit spinning on the soft gravel. Only time my 4L light never comes on is if I try switching to 4L in other than stopped in neutral.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Havent checked vacuum lines. When switching between 2H - 4H and 4L none of the 4x4 dash lights come on. Meaning no signals are being transmitted - I have also manually checked just to rule it out. Put truck into 4x4 and see if front wheels are engaged with front wheels off ground and still no 4x4. That said, checked for voltage at Tcase and no voltage at switching motor.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
This is probably the workshop manual excerpt, but here's a document I have on troubleshooting the 4 X 4 on an 05 and up ESOF. Electrical tests to the transfer case start on page 26. I could not see your pictures to tell if its the same document or not..

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Back at this issue after a few months. Here is what I tackled today looking at the attached photo of the GEM 4x4 module located behind the glove box.

CONNECTOR C281A

Pin 1 & 2 - Battery voltage going to 4x4 module - Yes this is good have power going into module.
Pin 3 - Yes Have Good Ground
Pin 4 - Have 12V supplied when brakes are applied
Pin 5 - Switched Ignition Voltage - 12V when ign switched on.
Pin 6 - VPWR - Vehicle power - 12V at this pin as well when ign on
Pin 7/8/9/10/11/12 ALL go to TCASE motor - Checked resistance between 4x4 module connector and 6 pin connector down at TCASE all have no resistance.

CONNECTOR C281B

Pin 1 - ESOF SOLENOID - 12V being supplied to solenoid
Pin 2 - 4X4 module looking for varying resistance values to switch from 2H -> 4H -> 4L, all values within spec

Pin 3 - Vehicle Speed Sensor - Working as it should
Pin 4 - Neut safety switch - truck recognizing between all gears no issue here.
Pin 5 - LO To HIGH - 4x4 module suppling ground to turn tcase motor
Pin 6 - HIGH TO LO- 4x4 module suppling ground to turn
Pin 7 - 4x4 module supplying power to ESOF SOLENOID- working as it should 12v at solenoid
Pin 8 - THIS PIN IS STRANGE NO DESIGNATION AND IS BLANK IN CONNECTOR - NO WIRE FOR IT BUT HAS 4.2 - 4.4V COMING OUT OF IT AT 4X4 MODULE

Pin 9 - REF VOLTAGE TO 4X4 SWITCH - THIS IS WHERE I BELIEVE MY PROBLEM IS - WITH KEY ON / TRUCK RUNNING I HAVE ALMOST NO VOLTAGE 0.012v AND VERY SLOW TO CLIMB TO THIS VOLTAGE - REMOVED CONNECTOR AT 4X4 MODULE AND CHECKED IT DIRECTLY ON THE PIN OF THE 4X4 MODULE AND SAME READING SO IT IS NOT SHORTING OUT HALF WAY DOWN THE WIRE.

Checked resistance values as per the attached document above and it states if no 5V referance voltage is at connector for 4x4 switch on dash to replace the 4x4 module. I have tried a USED unknown condition 4x4 module and no differance in operation except at that time I never checked voltages to the extent of today.

Also jumped 12V from battery to Tcase motor and motor turns as it should, just wanted to verify motor was working. Using 2 pin connector and tcase motor have 12v when one relay is jumped with a ground, then jump a ground to the second relay and 12v switches to the other pin at the tcase.

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
I know the codes are pointing to an electrical fault, but have you checked the vacuum lines? Seems like all your Voltage is passing. My 12 year old vacuum lines are getting very brittle.

When I switch from 2H to 4H or 4L, I never hear anything. Surprised I don't hear 4WD engaging. I know 4WD works, because I don't switch until I'm stuck, and once it's in 4WD, my tires quit spinning on the soft gravel. Only time my 4L light never comes on is if I try switching to 4L in other than stopped in neutral.
I was having some 4x4 issues a while back (not engaging). I checked my vacuum lines, noticed they were splitting a little on the ends and not fitting real tight. I changed them out for some good fuel line and haven't had a problem since. That was about four years ago.

Edit: I'm just referring to the lines in the wheel well going to the hubs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
havent done a whole lot of diag to do with the vacuum lines, im willing to bet when you were having issues your 4x4 light still illuminated - mine no matter what position i put the 4x4 switch in doesnt light up what so ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I'm having exactly the same issue with my 2007. I have access to another 2006 with working esof and have tested ALL relays/gem/4x4 switch on this other truck and all my equipment works just fine. Although I still have no clicking from the relays or any power to the transfer case motor. My 4x4 lights do turn on when starting but that's it.
I have power at the 4x4 switch exactly the same as the test truck and same power readings when using the switch but nothing working so far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi there, I'm having exactly the same issue with my 2007. I have access to another 2006 with working esof and have tested ALL relays/gem/4x4 switch on this other truck and all my equipment works just fine. Although I still have no clicking from the relays or any power to the transfer case motor. My 4x4 lights do turn on when starting but that's it.
I have power at the 4x4 switch exactly the same as the test truck and same power readings when using the switch but nothing working so far.
You ever get your 4x4 working on your truck?? I haven't made any progress

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bringing a thread back from the dead

I had issues with my tcase not disengaging after it was engaged to 4x4 ,i switch relays and i got it to disengage .
i tried to use it another day and no dice even when switching relays.
Took tcase motor appart tried moving the 4x4switch no dice( did this to eleminate tcase shifting mechanisim) bench tested motor , it rotated both sides so motor is ok , relays tested good .

hooked up forscan (select gem module) select all and start reading pids . i kept getting p1832 p1886 , if i disconnected a relay it would set apropriate code (open coil) .

so at this point i was fustrated and confused

I said let me trace the relay box wire loom i took off the air filter and drivers side battery box , it led to a junction where theres about 4 connectors under the abs pump.

Some kinda looked corroded but non looked damaged in any way. Took them appart to inspect shot them with electrical contact cleaner and put em back together. Did the same thing at the gem module. Buttoned everything back up.

She works as it should 2wd 4x4 and 4low .

Not saying it will fix your issue but its worth a try.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts