Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I have a 4x4 engage issue I just can't seem to fix. I have read all the threads (I believe I have) and I have read the "05-Up ESOF.pdf" file...to the best of my ability.

Issue:
When I switch from 2WD to 4x4 high (or low). Nothing happens. No panel light switching to 4x4 (with or without the low light also).

Troubleshooting:
- Both the "4x4" and "Low" light come on when I switch the key to run and start.

- I have replaced both 4x4 relays (under the hood). Twice. With 100% ford parts.

- I have checked (more than three times each) all the fuses. All of the following are good/good:
CENTRAL JUNCTION BOX UNDER LEFT LOWER SIDE OF DASH -
FUSE 19 - 10AMP - BATTERY CONSTANT VOLTAGE GOING INTO 4X4 MODULE (more than 9 volt)
FUSE 27 - 15AMP - ESOF SOLENOID (ELECTRIC SHIFT ON THE FLY SOLENOID)
FUSE 33 - 15AMP - VPWR (more than 9 volt)
FUSE 45 - 10AMP - IGNITION SWITCHED POWER GOING INTO 4X4 MODULE (more than 9 volt)
FUSE 34 - 10AMP - BRAKE PRESSURE SENSOR
BATTERY JUNCTION BOX LEFT REAR OF ENGINE COMPARTMENT CLOSEST TO FIREWALL
FUSE 3 - 30AMP - 4X4 RELAYS UNDER HOOD LEFT SIDE

- I know this has nothing to do with the vacuum system (as the transfer case needs to switch to 4x4 first). ...but I have replaced the vacuum pump (ford part) and vacuum hub valve (ford part also). I have also checked for a vacuum leak. All good (but again...and from what I have read/understand: the vacuum system does not start to engage until the transfer case has switched to 4x4).

- I have a new, programed GEM module. No fix (so now I have a spare...as I can switch GEMs with no change in the issue).

- No engine codes (using Torque). No error codes.

- I replaced the panel switch (the light on the switch was not working...so the new switch did fix the light out on the switch...but no 4x4 fix).

- I twice replaced the transfer case shift motor (once with a ford part...once with a Doman part). I can also manual switch the transfer case by hand/tool (with the shift motor off - no resistance - easy to switch).

So it's got to be a wire issue. Right? For me....being on chemo for three years now I'm really having a hard time understanding the troubleshooting steps in the pdf file (to check wires). Does anyone have any pointers for me? What more can I check? Is there an easier wire checking process then the pdf? Should I give-up and take it to a Ford dealership? ….will they even work on an '07 truck with an issue like this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also: The transfer case does not make any noise when I switch to 4x4.
All was good and working. Just one day it stopped working...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To bad someone does not make a kit to switch the electrical system to a manual system.
I would 100% be ok to switch the transfer case manually. Then switch the hubs manually.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Converting to a manual transfer case would be a great idea, I have a manual transfer case in mine and it's never given me any problems other than the linkage bushings, but that was a cheap and easy fix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to give this a try. ...converting to a manual transfer case. I'm not super good at metal working. Parts I just ordered (Full disclosure: I'm doing as another guy named bikeguy, Orange County, CA. did on another site - link above. 100% thanks to this guy!).

I'll try documenting my project. Starting with a parts order list:

Parts I just ordered (5/19/2020):
F81Z-7277-BC. Boot/trim (tasco)
F81Z-7210-AB. Shifter upper (ebay)
4C3Z-7210-BA. Shifter lower (ebay)
4L3Z-7213-AB. Knob (tasco)
4C3Z-7B051-JA. Linkage rod (tasco)
6C3Z-7B106-A. Linkage arm (tasco)
Tasco parts total (with shipping): $98.85‬
eBay parts total (with shipping): $326.61

I still need to get the following (5/19/2020):
(2) 1-1/4×3/4×1/16" bronze thrust bearing
(1) 1-1/4×3/4×18 gauge zinc machine bushing
(2) 5/8×5/16×1/4" steel bushing/spacer
(2) M8x1.25x25mm mini-head flange bolt
(1) M8x1.25x25mm flat-head socket cap screw
(3 ea) M6 & M8 spring washers
(1) M6x1.00x20mm socket-head cap screw
(1) 6061-T6 aluminum plate, 1/4" thick (looks like a 6" x 6" plate will do).

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
You could have gotten all of that stuff and a manual transfer case from a junkyard for cheaper than that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same problem. I finally gave up and put in a polarity reversing switch. I lock the hubs in manually and flip the switch to engage/disengage the transfer case. Works great,

·
california deplorable
10,713 Posts
i had the same issue for four years changed the switch module fuses reays t case motor etc and finally took everything apart to find the issue...found nothing but when i put it all back together...it worked
esof...great idea...terrible execution

Reactions: Johnny-come-lately

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After months of troubleshooting. ...I got the four-wheel drive working again.
Turned out to be a bad wire. Not a bad connector - bad wire.

The Orange wire, pin 7 connector C214 to pin 2, connector C50a was open. The wire going into both connectors was/is good. Somewhere between the two points is an open. What a full-on pain in the butt to find. The fix was easy.

As help, I was getting a DTC P1865 code.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts