Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had to use 4HI to get out of a mud hole. Before I got to pavement, I switched back to 2HI and unlocked the hubs (I have manual hubs). When I started driving on the street, I noticed the 4x4 system still seem to be engaged. There was a good bit of drag/shudder in the corners and the truck pulled to the left on the straightaway. After awhile, the symptoms seemed to go away. Is it normal for the 4x4 to not disengage immediately?

Later, I crawled under the truck and rotated the front output shaft. I noticed that the driver side half shaft spins more than the passenger half shaft. Is this a concern or is it related to the previous issue? Thanks for the insight.

1,627 Posts
I have ESOF and Ill back it up to disengage the 4WD...I just back up a few feet

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
im old school so whether i have the t-case stick or switch i would back up and go forward to make sure everything isnt bound up when going from 4x4--2wd and I also move the hubs back and fourth a few times to make sure everything is fully seated in the hubs. not sure if its best or right but i've never had an issue since i started doing that. I only use 4x4 maybe 3-5 times a yr though.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
^^^ what these guys said. I always back up and run the transmission through the gears one time just to be sure. LOL nothing like being in four wheel drive on dry pavement and the wheels hopping while turning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks for the suggestions. I'll try backing up next time. As far the driver side axle turning at a faster rate than the passenger side, do I need to worry about it?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Ok thanks for the suggestions. I'll try backing up next time. As far the driver side axle turning at a faster rate than the passenger side, do I need to worry about it?
No. That's due to your "open" front differential, which gives power to the wheel with least resistance. If you hold one side of the axle shaft knuckle still, turn the driveshaft, you'll see the other axle turn. However, if you had a truetrac or detroit locker, and you turned the driveshaft by hand, both axle shaft knuckles will turn the same direction at the same speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts