Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know ive asked this before but does anyone know for sure if there is a difference in the frame on a 96 F350 2x4 than in a 4x4.

2x4 isnt cutting it for me.
4x4 conversion would be great if the frame isnt different:dunno:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Frame is the same. Just different front ends. There are conversion kits out there. If you do it I suggest a custom 4link front end with coil overs.

J

·
0 Posts
Hmm

Should be the same like BC said. I would look into either fabbing up your own spring hangers or finding a donor truck that was hit in the rear or something and get all the hangers off of it. Leafs are way easier and way more simple.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Should be the same like BC said. I would look into either fabbing up your own spring hangers or finding a donor truck that was hit in the rear or something and get all the hangers off of it. Leafs are way easier and way more simple.
Leafs are easier, but coil overs and 4 link provides more suspension travel and more flex too.

But going with leafs would be cheaper and easier.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I'll take leafs over coils anyday. Especially if you sled pull.
True it all depends on what his uses of the truck will be.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys!
wow i didnt think itd be that easy i mean i have a farm out in missouri i can do all the work on my truck on if its a huge project like the frame but seeing how id just be a suspension i might be able to do that in my garage!

what about axles?
should i just use a dyna 60? or what would be a suggestion?
and what about driveshaft?
how would i mod/fab this to work?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Deffinately use a D60 or bigger. Also there is more to it then unbolting and bolting the new on. You will be cutting, welding, and measuring making sure everything is square. You will need to take your time. Because if your off even a 1/16th of an inch your truck will not track right going down the road. You won't even know it until you try to have it aligned.

J

·
0 Posts
Well

Me personally if I ever get an OBS i'm going to put a set of axles under it from a 99 and up. Better brakes and simpler hub setups. The sky is the limit. The first step is if you can weld or not?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes i can weld. and how would i do the front setup?

what would be the best front axle?
what would i have to do to the transmission for it to be able to support 4x4?

any info would be great
and thanks for the replies!!!

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
yes i can weld. and how would i do the front setup?

what would be the best front axle?
what would i have to do to the transmission for it to be able to support 4x4?

any info would be great
and thanks for the replies!!!

Personally your truck is long enough to support a divorced t-case. That is the way I would go. Others will have other opinions. But I would go with a divorced NP205. Build your own t-case mounts and cross member. Then you would not have to worry about doing anything to the transmission.

Best axle I aggree with Jon a newer 99 Dana 60. You will need manual lock outs. Go with leaf springs for simplicity. For all your mounting needs get a 6 inch suspension lift. Then you will not have to build shackles or spring pockets or hangers.

I will have to look in my off-road magizines and get you the name of the company to contact. They have a conversion kit that you are wanting.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay thanks bigcountry! i appreciate the help man:thumb:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Personally your truck is long enough to support a divorced t-case. That is the way I would go. Others will have other opinions. But I would go with a divorced NP205. Build your own t-case mounts and cross member. Then you would not have to worry about doing anything to the transmission.

Best axle I aggree with Jon a newer 99 Dana 60. You will need manual lock outs. Go with leaf springs for simplicity. For all your mounting needs get a 6 inch suspension lift. Then you will not have to build shackles or spring pockets or hangers.

I will have to look in my off-road magizines and get you the name of the company to contact. They have a conversion kit that you are wanting.

Conversion kit for the OBS???? That will be a first, I know quite a few can do anything custom, but I haven't seen a conversion kit.

Also,

Why newer 99 Dana 60???

They are WEAKER than the older Dana 60 and MUCH more expensive to work on.

Not to mention, 8x170 hub pattern and crappy Unit Bearing Hubs! :doh:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah im thinking this is going to be pretty much a custom operation except for the axle.

still looking for input on the better axle.

·
Registered
888 Posts
85-97 Dana 60 Front Axle from F350 with work just fine and be the EASIEST to install...

You will need...

1)All brackets for the Frame for Leaf Springs (good time to install RSK and SD Springs)
2)Front Drive Shaft
3) Transfer Case either divorced (quite a bit of work) or stock
4) Will need Tranny 4x4 tailshaft and output shaft ( will be EASIER to buy a 4x4 transmission that is rebuilt, unless yours is in good shape)
5) Will nee REAR drive shaft since it will be shorter now with the T'case.
6) Tracbar and bracket for the frame

This swap is MUCH easier if you have a donor truck somewhere ;) because I forgot ALOT of other parts that are needed ;)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha yes i can imagine :doh:
ive been SEARCHING for a 96 f350 4x4 donner truck for quite some time but i just cant seem to find one with a blown motor or rear end collision.

if you spy one let me know!
im willing to drive to pick it up IF it isnt outrageously expensive.
meanwhile do you know a good place to look other than local junkyards?
(websites, ect)

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Well I am going to go look at a 78 3/4 F-250 4x4 this week. I will let you know what axle and t-case it has.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
888 Posts
haha yes i can imagine :doh:
ive been SEARCHING for a 96 f350 4x4 donner truck for quite some time but i just cant seem to find one with a blown motor or rear end collision.

if you spy one let me know!
im willing to drive to pick it up IF it isnt outrageously expensive.
meanwhile do you know a good place to look other than local junkyards?
(websites, ect)
Any truck with a 4x4 F350 with E40D will work 1989-1997 :thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts