Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am having an issue with my front drive line. It maybe related or not.

My auto switch is on 2wd and my manual hubs are unlocked.

when I turn my front drive shaft it will not spin freely, even though these are both clearly not in 4wd. When I lift the wheels off the ground turning the drive shaft will turn the wheels. I turned the hubs to locked and then unlocked and then it freed the wheels from the drive shaft. However, once driving again it will lock back in or not spin the drive shaft freely.

I don't know if this issue has caused my axle shafts to get play in them. So I have changed both axle seals on both sides of the truck. and yet I can grab the shafts and move it from side to side. It annoys me so much that it is loose and rattles when I go over bumps in the road.

Any suggestions on either issues?

·
Administrator
29,502 Posts
you may have a vacuum solenoid issue that is inadvertently sending the vacuum signal to the hubs because it is not sealing properly

try manually selecting the hubs to free again and disconnect the esof vacuum line and plug to see what happens or just test it with a guage

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ZMANN. I will have to check using a vac gauge. I have already changed the pvh solenoid (I think that's what its called), because my selector switch wasn't switching my pass side hub. I changed it and now it all works. I don't get stuck at the beach anymore. So I may have to check my relays and use a vac tool and gauge to see if I have any leaks.

Thanks again for the suggestion. If you can think of anything else let me know.

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
He's smart ^^^^

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
So I am having an issue with my front drive line. It maybe related or not.

My auto switch is on 2wd and my manual hubs are unlocked.

when I turn my front drive shaft it will not spin freely, even though these are both clearly not in 4wd. When I lift the wheels off the ground turning the drive shaft will turn the wheels. I turned the hubs to locked and then unlocked and then it freed the wheels from the drive shaft. However, once driving again it will lock back in or not spin the drive shaft freely.
One quick question - did you do this while the key/truck was on or off? If off, you might have a sticky hub not unlocking that's causing the issue. Sometimes when coming out of 4Hi back into 2Hi, I even have to back up 15-20 feet before my hubs disengage.

And i'll echo @ZMANN about the Dorman PVH solenoids - had 1 go bad in <6mo and then the replacement was bad right out of the box! Lesson learned...

-jokester

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One quick question - did you do this while the key/truck was on or off? If off, you might have a sticky hub not unlocking that's causing the issue. Sometimes when coming out of 4Hi back into 2Hi, I even have to back up 15-20 feet before my hubs disengage.

And i'll echo @ZMANN about the Dorman PVH solenoids - had 1 go bad in <6mo and then the replacement was bad right out of the box! Lesson learned...

-jokester

I did this while the truck was on. and it would even spin freely. However after driving it and then checking again. it would be back in 4wd.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its Definitely a Vac Leak somewhere. I did the lil trick to where you turn on the AC to vents only... then switch to 4x4. then the air moved to my defrost …

So is that mainly a Vac Leak or do you think it still could be the PVH?

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Its Definitely a Vac Leak somewhere. I did the lil trick to where you turn on the AC to vents only... then switch to 4x4. then the air moved to my defrost …

So is that mainly a Vac Leak or do you think it still could be the PVH?
Could be either/or. Disconnect one of the vac lines downstream of the PVH solenoid while your switched to 2WD. If it's got vacuum, your solenoid is leaking by. Refer to this :D

Also, if your truck has the heater core valve, make sure the gray vac line is plugged into it and not hanging free somewhere in the engine bay.

-jokester

1 - 9 of 9 Posts