Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ESOF. Has anyone had any dealings with the 4wd system on these trucks. I replaced my batteries and all of a sudden I have no 4wd. No light, no click, nothin. I replaced the transfer case shift motor w/ no luck. Had a mechanic do a diagnostic check and said it was the dash switch, it was NOT. I checked all the fuses and relays but I can't get power to the dash switch. Anyone know if these trucks have the 4wd control module and where it's located?
I even checked all the vacuum lines (although that has nothing to do with the transfer case shifting).
Any ideas???:confused:

·
Registered
379 Posts
when you connected the battery did you connet the postive first then the negativ.my little brother did it bacwards once and fired the fusable link on his truck after fixing that everything worked. i dont recall what all didnt work right after he did it though. just a sugestion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't even remember. One battery was still good so I replaced the bad one first and then the second. Everything else on truck works fine. Still running SCT prgrammer w/ custome tunes and all else is fine.
I did find out that these trucks DO have a 4wd control module behind the glove box. My local Ford dealerships (3 of them) don't know anything about it and want a part # so I've got to find it and get the part # so the dealerships know what I'm talking about. Then, they say it has to be prgrammed by a Ford Tech so I don't know what that's gonna do to all my custom tunes.
This sucks, gotta put truck back to stock and take to stealership.

·
Registered
227 Posts
is it possible that the truck was in 4 wheel drive when you unhooked the batteries? If So try putting the switch in 2 high and unhook both negative batteries. Wait 5 minutes and reconnect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think so due to the fact that I had just driven to Florida (600 miles) and since then, I've pulled the transfer case shift motor and manually put it in four wheel drive to make sure nothing was wrong with the t-case itself. And I've also taken the battery back out two more times since then to make sure I didn't pinch a vacuum line or kink any wires or anything else when installing battery. Good idea anyway.

·
Registered
204 Posts
sorry for not having specifics, but I thought I remembered that there was a fuse for the 4WD..... not sure if it is located in the passenger side kick panel, or under the hood..... a quick look at the owners manual should confirm for you. Your earlier post wasn't clear whether you had verified this particular fuse, but it would explain why you're not getting power to the dash switch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a butt load of fuses for the four wheel drive. Two under the hood and two or three more on pass. side kick panel, plus two relays under the hood. We've narrowed it down to the 4wd control module and should have a new one installed tomorrow. Already replaced the dash switch and tried two different transfer case motors. We'll know more tomorrow.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts