Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so all this 4wd, on the fly stuff. What is the definition of all This stuff. Do I have to go into neutral to put it 4wd even if it is "on the fly"? do I have to get out and lock the hubs even if there set to auto? In 4wd do all 4 tires have power going to them?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Okay so all this 4wd, on the fly stuff. What is the definition of all This stuff. Do I have to go into neutral to put it 4wd even if it is "on the fly"? do I have to get out and lock the hubs even if there set to auto? In 4wd do all 4 tires have power going to them?
It wouldn't be called shift on the fly if you had to stop and put the truck in neutral every time you wanted to go into 4wd. You only have to lock the hubs when going into 4wd low. Yes all tires have power.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wouldn't be called shift on the fly if you had to stop and put the truck in neutral every time you wanted to go into 4wd. You only have to lock the hubs when going into 4wd low. Yes all tires have power.
Thankyou. I knew it was very simple but I always make it harder than it is lol

·
Registered
293 Posts
Not sure about locking in 4 low. I'm in low often and have never turned the hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
115 Posts
When you put it in 4wd it should turn the hubs for you, you can hear them turn when you turn the switch. Im pretty sure your just supposed to make sure your not going over 80km/h when your switching.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When you put it in 4wd it should turn the hubs for you, you can hear them turn when you turn the switch. Im pretty sure your just supposed to make sure your not going over 80km/h when your switching.
That's what it was! Limit your speed thank you!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
You only have to get out and turn hubs if you have no vacuum. I try to be under 50km/hr when going in/out of 4hi. You have to be stopped to engage 4lo.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Does a 2008 6.4 king ranch have a vacuum
Sure does, its the little thing on top your under hood fuse box. Pull the power plug out and try your 4x4 dash switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not sure about the hubs turning automatically since I have only had my Ford for 2 months. That could be very possible. As far as all 4 wheels having power. That would be a no. They will not all have power at the same time unless you have lockers installed. I do know this from years of competition rock crawling. Only a select few vehicles come from the factory with lockers. Such as the power wagon and possibly the new Raptor or the jeep rubicon. But a typical truck will only send power to one front and one rear at a time.

·
Registered
369 Posts
im pretty sure they lock the fronts with the hubs turned.when i went nose down on a snowy driveway there was now way backing out just keeping the hubs in auto and the switch 4hi. had the one wheel thing going on. kept 4 hi and locked hubs and backed right out.

my take on it is the auto is for say snowy streets were turning is an issue. the locked hubs are for slower moving off road driving. i have tried it and here is my take on it from driving it only,no mechanical research. the drive shaft and axles are live all the time with the auto hubs going into play when there is a diffrence in wheel speeds. the switch enguages the transfer case and puts power to the axels. now you can auto it and get one spinning wheel or lock the drive hubs to the shaft for both fronts going. try turning on a gravel road both ways and you'll see what i mean. i may be way off but i do know there is a huge diffrence between locked and auto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I am reading your reply correctly and I am sure you are right. But as far as both fronts or both rears or even all 4 together. It is not possible. The only way 2 wheels on the same axle can both have power is if the gears inside the "pumpkin" or center section are locked together by a locker or welded. I am not disagreeing with you. I have taken apart plenty of axles and also installed lockers and spools. Even welded up some old junky gears. Basically on a typical vehicle, the power will go to the wheel with less resistance because it is easier to turn.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The only difference between auto and manual is you need to get out and actually lock your hubs to manually engage them and if set to auto the esof system sends a vacuum pulse and locks them for you. Your still only getting power to one front wheel because you don't have a locking differential in the front from the factory. 4hi can be engaged on the fly but you need to stop and put it in neutral to put it in 4low because of the much lower gearing ratio. The reason you have manual and auto is because manual is the fail safe if your vacuum system isn't working you can still manually lock your hubs and still get 4wd. Also if you get stuck and then try to use the vacuum system to engage your hubs a lot of the time it won't work because after hitting the switch your vehicle needs to move forward for it to engage. It's not immediate. And if your already stuck in the mud it's hard to move forward.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The only difference between auto and manual is you need to get out and actually lock your hubs to manually engage them and if set to auto the esof system sends a vacuum pulse and locks them for you. Your still only getting power to one front wheel because you don't have a locking differential in the front from the factory. 4hi can be engaged on the fly but you need to stop and put it in neutral to put it in 4low because of the much lower gearing ratio. The reason you have manual and auto is because manual is the fail safe if your vacuum system isn't working you can still manually lock your hubs and still get 4wd. Also if you get stuck and then try to use the vacuum system to engage your hubs a lot of the time it won't work because after hitting the switch your vehicle needs to move forward for it to engage. It's not immediate. And if your already stuck in the mud it's hard to move forward.
that makes sense,all i knew was when i got stuck i couldn't get out without locking the hubs,i usually got stuck in places were i never thought i would,like wet grass,lol but stock tires are gone so i hope i'll know when i could get stuck and be in 4x4 before getting stuck. but what i found weird was you know when it goes into 4x4 when in auto cause one front spins but after screwing with it all it took was locking them and driving out?? i guess in auto one can engauge and not the other, i would allso asume the front diff will be limited slip type diff?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's a negative. No limited slip in the front. And 1 side is always gonna spin because its not true 4wheel drive unless u have lockers front and back.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's a negative. No limited slip in the front. And 1 side is always gonna spin because its not true 4wheel drive unless u have lockers front and back.
Agreed, well at least my truck is only 'one wheel peel' in the front and is traction-loc in the rear.

Scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts