Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just earlier today, I switched from 2wd over to 4wd, and also into 4 low, and nothing. I've had the dash panel off most recently for some stereo work but I'm fairly sure that I remember hooking everything back up. Any suggestions on where to check to get the 4wd to engage? Thanks

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
get out and manually lock the hubs on the front wheels and try it again. i bet you got a vacuum leak and it wont engage the hubs from the switch

·
Registered
39 Posts
you probably have 1 or both of these two problems....

1. the ford 4wd runs off vaccum so you may have a leak in a vaccum line which you can replace yourself pretty easy...

2. your hub "seal" is not sealing properly and is not allowing the vaccumto engage your 4wd

are you able to manually engage in to 4wd bu turning the lockers????

if so then its probably 1 or both of these problems... if not then you probably have alot of money and problems ahead

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
mine dont engage with the switch because of whatever is wrong with it, i think its a vacuum leak. i dont have time to play around with it. i only use 4wd at the track. i just get out and engage them while im there

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Okay, here goes with a dumb question? If I manually lock them, will it lock into whatever I have the switch is set? (I.e., if I switch to 4 hi inside, then get out and lock the hubs, it'll be on 4 hi, and vice versa)?

·
Registered
39 Posts
yes sir thats how it will work

·
Registered
263 Posts
Does the 4x4 light on the dash come on?

·
Registered
263 Posts
No lights means that its an electrical problem, not a vacuum issue. Mine had a broken wire to the transfer case motor that caused that. Check your connection on the back of the 4x4 switch first. Then do you know anybody with a ford enhanced scanner? like the autoenginuity? There will almost certainly be a code stored that will point you in the right direction. Otherwise just check wires and fuses first, there are 2 relays under the hood in there own little box for the t-case motor.

And Jarrod,
Did you put your truck in neutral and hold your foot on the brake when you tried 4x4 low?

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
No lights means that its an electrical problem, not a vacuum issue. Mine had a broken wire to the transfer case motor that caused that. Check your connection on the back of the 4x4 switch first. Then do you know anybody with a ford enhanced scanner? like the autoenginuity? There will almost certainly be a code stored that will point you in the right direction. Otherwise just check wires and fuses first, there are 2 relays under the hood in there own little box for the t-case motor.

And Jarrod,
Did you put your truck in neutral and hold your foot on the brake when you tried 4x4 low?
nope. what does that do? :dunno: havent heard that b4 and ill try it tomorrow to see what happens.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The electronic shift on the fly system requires the truck to be in neutral, not moving, and the brake be depressed before it will make the shift into low range. Its a safety thing.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

And Jarrod,

Even if I have an electrical problem, could I still just manually lock the hubs and then be good to go (if I can't find the electrical problem before I need 4wd capability?

·
Registered
24 Posts
locking the front hubs only locks the front axels in not the transfer case. your transfer case is engaged by the switch in your truck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts