Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to buy some time but fear another trans build will be in my future. I am having a issue with 1st engaging that happens only when I am coasting slowly then start accelerating. If I am stopped, there is no issue grabbing 1st. I have been avoiding a hard acceleration but light throttle after coasting I am not getting 1st right away. If I back off the throttle then ease into it again, 1st is there. If I keep pressing the throttle at 1500 RPM or so it revs for a second then grabs first hard.

Fluid looks fine on the stick and is the correct level, no flashing OD light but haven't pulled codes yet. I am planning on dropping the pan and have a new filter and fluid. Is there anything I should check with the pan off that could help?

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
with what you said the fluid may look different when you drain it. There is a possible temporary bandaid fix and please trust me im no snakeoil guy but the 4r100s with the original torq coverters had shaky shifts/slipping issues. some from the factory and some developed overtime. Adding the appropriate amount of Lubegard may buy you a tiny bit of time... but most likely you need to get it looked at by a shop that can see if its the pump going out, sticky springs in the accumulator or if you have a bigger issue.

By your picture it looks like the truck tows a decent 5th wheel semi regularly?

Are you able to check transmission temperatures? Also have you dropped the pan yet/ any recent work done to the transmission?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't towed since august but there is a good amount of weight with 238/100's adding to the stress. Trans has been rebuilt a few times and has a BTS valve body with a PI converter. Worst temp I have seen is about 210 towing in heavy traffic in a hilly area, normally I am around 150-160 empty when it's over 100 outside. Last thing I did was replace the flex plate a few years ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts