Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to tune a problem out of my truck lately, but am now starting to wonder if it is a problem with my trans? Truck is an 02 7.3/4R100 with 37" tires and 3.73 gears. The trans was rebuilt to factory specs 10k ago with the only addition being a Factory Tech valve body. Only since my TDP chip has the problem arose. Even now in the stock tune and the daily/econo tune I do not have any problems. Problem is in my agressive street tune and extreme tune, the trans acts up in top gear under boost. It shifts fine-nice and firm, never slips, etc. In top gear accelerating, the truck used to make 25-28 PSI of boost locked up in top gear just by rolling into the throttle. Anymore it feels as if the converter unlocks under boost, around 20 PSI. There is a definite point where the RPMs rise around 300-400 RPM. It *feels* as if the converter is unlocking, but it shouldn't be. The truck still makes plenty of power in top gear. I notice it most when towing a trailer. 70 MPH, top gear, slight grade and the trans feels like the converter unlocks when it still has plenty of oomph left. My tuner (Tony Wildman) has been able to lessen the effect slightly by increasing line pressure, but he has already increased it to a point it shouldnot have to be at. He also tells me that he has put the same files in other trucks with no symptoms like mine. Is the converter slipping? I still have a warranty on the trans, but I'm sure they would say it was fine if I tried to get them to fix it, since it only happens in certain situations. Is a BTS my only option? What does it sound like is happening? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Are you towing in overdrive? I read on here that you should not tow in overdrive.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
I had a similar (and worse) problem with my 4R100 12,000 miles after a rebuilt was installed by Ford. Mine would also "choke down" when you stopped. It was like driving a manual and not pushing in the clutch before you stopped. I remember being told the TC was not disengaging. The problem was described to me as a cross leak in the valve body. Sooooo....after 12,000 miles another rebuilt tranny was installed. This one is "good" for the 63,000 miles left on the original warranty. BTS next time!
If possible, have an independent tranny tech drive it and see if they have an opinion. We have one here in the upstate that can drive your truck and tell you exactly what's wrong. He has a re-build shop too. Good luck with that tranny.

Post when you figure out what's going on with it. I'm sure a lot of us want to know. :nod:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought before that this was only a problem in top gear. I was driving today and found that if accelerating in third the converter will start to slip in the same fashion. I am thinking my best bet may be to drive the truck until it gets worse (bad enough for a tech to not be able to dismiss) and then either warranty it or pony up for a BTS.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
""We have one here in the upstate that can drive your truck and tell you exactly what's wrong. ""

Get me his name, I want to hire him.!!!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Brian, sounds like you're converter is "breaking loose". This can only be determined by haveing a scanner that reads info to see if the computer is telling it to stay on when it starts slipping. If the computer is telling it to come off, then there is nothing wrong.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Within the last several days the trans has gotten worse in a hurry. In addition to the converter not staying locked, It slips/shudders badly from takeoff in my performance tune and also takes way too long to go into gear from N or P. I will be taking the truck in soon. If they won't warranty it I'll be making a trip to lead hill...

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
In terms of aftermarket tranny's, BTS is not your only option.

There's John Wood also.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The trans went from minor slipping to non-operable in a couple days. It got to the point where it acted like it had a 3000 stall converter and would barely get going. I took it in for warranty repairs yesterday, am awaiting a phone call now. I suspect it will be getting a new converter, and I will just be more careful of it this time. No more extreme tune driving until I can afford a real trans!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got a 1999 F-350 with 205,000 on it and went to Lead Hill
back in Feb of this year.The tranny I have now is awsome!!
This thing shifts the same way with or without a load behind the
truck. I got the 6.0 cooler installed at BTS also and had Cale
burn me a program to kick up the HP a little. I spent for all this
around $ 4,800. Sounds like alot, but the warranty Brian gives with
his rebuild will not be beat buy anyone and he knows the 4R100
inside and out. If you can go to his shop for a rebuild I highly
recommend to do this the whole crew at BTS are all top notch at what
they do. I spent the day watching him take out the stock stuff, and put
back all the top of line stuff. He will answer any questions you have about
your tranny. He and all his crew are great people.

Charles Murphy
BTS Bubba and still shifting smooooth!!!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Reddgzs, First off welcome to the Org. Yes the boys in Lead Hill do very good work, I have been to the shop a few times. Everyone seams to know what they are doing and do there best to help you understand what they are doing.
Where are you from?

·
Registered
19 Posts
brian 444, Mine started this same type thing today. If you would, let us know what it was that started this. Mine will shift fine from 1st to od, but the converter will not lock up in od. :dunno: Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts