Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched the boat yesterday evening... placed truck in 4 high to tow the rig out of the water on the incline and muddy ramp. Returned truck to 2 wheel drive and drove 10 miles back to the house with no problem. Let truck sit about one hour and jumped back in to find that the truck was in 4 wheel low on the dash with 4 wheel drive indicator lit up. The on dash selector switch was in the 2 wheel drive position and the hubs were in the automatic position.

any help, can not get truck out of 4 wheel low!

Tried everything even disconnected battery, to no avail. :dunno:

'04 F250 CC 4X4

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
i thought Ford 4x4's were setup so that you need to back up a few feet in order to disengage the xfer case??

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Try that then see what happens. Or try manually locking the hubs and then unlocking them. Let us know!

Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drove it home fully disengaged with the selector switch in 2 wd, it electronically locked itself in 4 wheel low with the selector switch in 2wd. Doesn't make sense... a sensor must have failed, but which one ???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try that then see what happens. Or try manually locking the hubs and then unlocking them. Let us know!

Good luck!
locked, unlocked, reverse, forward and alternated the on dash selector switch. Firmly in 4 wheel low and will not come out, no on dash indications and or codes...

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
So the truck does not "think" its in 4wd but it IS? take it to ford maybe?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Look in your manual for the location of the 4 wheel drive motor relays. I think they are under the hood by the left fender/firewall area. Replace them they may have moisture in them. They're cheap regular Bosch type relays. If that doesn't work it's atrip to the shop.
You can unplug the wiring from the shift motor on the transfercase, unbolt the motor, shift case manually, and put motor back on but don't plug the wiring back in. That should get you in 2HI for now.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
WOW thats funny because i thought you had to be in neutral to go into 4wheel low? and have to be in neutral to get it out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts