Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Do it yourself, it takes maybe 2 hours at most, also it's just pipe don't overpay for a name. My Diamond Eye 4" works just fine and is quite a bit cheaper than MBRP.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Been following this thread and jumping in late in the game. As for the emissions and being that I’m in NY, they’ve been pretty strict since 2007 I recall and requiring that testing. I have a 99 reg cab-8’ bed. Tore out the OEM exhaust and replaced with CNC Fab supplied MBRP 4” stainless (cheaper-stainless version of 2 offered) with hi-flow muffler and got a sweet price and at time was like $75 rebate from MBRP (look into rebates with all going on out there now, suppliers and manufacturers are doing this to boost sales)
I installed myself with relatively no issues, and needed another clamp, purchased separately and I’ve been good for last 3+ years. Been to a couple different shops for annual inspections and they’re more worried about my tinted windows than any exhaust and never stuck a sensor in the tail pipe.
If I could add, just from your obvious research, locate the best deal with what item you like and procure it and go to a muffler shop or local garage and have them install or take the assistance from fellow members here and be done with it. Whether your state does or does not test for emissions for your year truck, either way this truck will pass. That’s all they are concerned with. The federal act for diesels I recall was instituted around 2006-7 when the fuel went to crap.
Good luck and get it done, you’ll be happy you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
another data point, my California 2002 F250 is NON-CATALYST. . . It has the California glowplug harness and controller, but no cat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
another data point, my California 2002 F250 is NON-CATALYST. . . It has the California glowplug harness and controller, but no cat.
Does your emissions sticker say Non-catalyst? Does it say federal or California emissions?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know some of the cali trucks came without cats, unfortunately mine wasn't 1 of them. Since I was in a county that didnt do emissions test diesels, I took it off. 3 years later, 2012, they started testing. This was the 1st year they looked. Went to a different shop, plugged it in and it passed the sniffer with flying colors. I bought a universal 4" to put in, but didnt need to. Holding on to it until next time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think with the stricter rules/laws around smog and emissions, shops are hesitant to do this anymore for fear of a lawsuit later on. Even if the truck doesn't have a cat now, without the sticker that says "non-catalyst" there is no proof to the shop that someone didn't remove the cat already (even though you could likely tell that it's the original exhaust system). Here in CA the situation is worse. You can't even order a cat to your door if you wanted, and you can't order a non-cat exhaust system online. Even a supplier in CA who has non-cat systems would not ship me one. I ended up having to order a "cat-back" 4 inch Magnaflow system for my truck. A little trimming of the adapter and it fit like it was supposed to. The only bummer is the stock tubing from the turbo down to under the cab. Past that it's all 4 inches, and has a nice straight through muffler.

Clay

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Have the exhaust system shipped to a friend or relative that lives in a friendly state and then shipped to you. I had my 2 hyrdras , 2 no cat exhaust systems , and 2 AFE intake tubes shipped to my moms house in a no smog check state, I picked them up when i went to visit. I put the turbo back exhaust on myself. it was easy. And ya'll dont go tattle on me either. Last time I had to sit in the corner and didnt get desert.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Go back to the shop that said they can do it, but only with a cat and tell them to look at your emission sticker. It clearly states Non-catalyst.
Yep. They cannot require you to put a cat on a non cat vehicle. That is tampering with emissions. Call the AQMD and they will tell you like they told me. No cat if it didnt come with one. My 02 did not come with a meow.

Reactions: BTL
21 - 30 of 30 Posts