Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yup, the day finally came. Today my friend and I removed it. did the job out in my driveway, it took us roughly 6hrs including breaks. Which is not that bad, i was planning on a lot more. Had no issues, only broke 1 1/2" drive Craftsman ratchet somehow... but the whole project was a pretty much breeze. :icon_ford: Then came the hard part. the guy giving me a hand, needed a hand... so he brought over this 2003? Avalance that needed a fuel pump... omfg. I hate GM proudcts and that job drove the point home. We spent 4hrs doing that fuel pump. :eek:hnoes::please::smiley_uzi: what a pita that job was. the whole way the thing was desinged, sucked. Total crap design. I've owned so many GM's (used to be a big GM buff) and they're stuff has gotten better, but you can still tell it's a GM when you're working on it... :icon_ford:

But I'm still riding on my 35" Xtreme AT's, and they look awsome on the stock truck. The pitman arm nut was interesting... the nut came off very easily even after it was torqued to 375 and loctited, which I watched. Dang pitman arm was one of the easiet bolts to get off. I cleaned it up very well and used Redloctite, and torqued it to 250 Lb/Ft, and then used a breaker bar to turn it more. and paint marked it. Went on a lot tighter than the sucker that came off. Either way, truck fits in garage now, easier to work out of the bed, still has a lot of ground clearance, 35's look rocking on it now and it's using all OEM parts. On shocks I did ended up going with Monroe Reflexes.

It's been a long day.... I'm getting out of here.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Still can't believe you pulled it off - seems like you are going backwards but whatever does it for you:dunno:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$4.19/gal diesel is going backwards.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
Nice! Need pics! :D

I'm not a fan of lifted trucks, so I bet it looks awesome!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
1-2 MPG is a big difference over 20k/yr when diesel is $4.19/gal and rising. Not to mention it can sleep in the garage now too. Sounds like theres a lot of people that want to buy a lift, I know where they can get a great deal on one :) And I can lean over the bed rail and actually drink a beer, or reach the bed to get something out. I think these trucks stock are pretty good size. I rather have a Detroit Locker on a stock truck vs a lift and open diffs. so, just b/c I dropped my lift, doesn't mean I won't be going places.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
yeah pics. i think its gonna look sweet with the 35's and stock height. lifted trucks are over rated anyways. just kiddin :hehe:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup... just put some stock 20's on it, and factory running boards lifted 2". I'm very curious to see how this affects hwy MPG's now. I'll try an get some pics today.

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
good looking truck! be proud of it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At $4.19/gal, you dam right I'm proud of it lol. I only drive it on special occasions.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If you are happy with it and it is more usable for you then that is all that matters. I dont think dropping it down two inches will make a big difference in mileage but hopefully for you an improvement will be noticed. I dont think i could go back down though.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, doesn't seem to have made a big difference in HWY MPG's, I think the Tires are 90% of that problem. but dropping it 4"/3.5" can't hurt MPG's any that's for sure. my truck has been sitting for 1 month and I haven't touched/chked air psi, so that hwy run yesterday was probly skewed. not to mentions it hasn't been run hardley any lately. but the MPG's were the same/slightly better.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The lift has very little effect on mileage. The tires are what matters. You coulda kept the lift and got a set of smaller tires and keep 2 sets.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
The lift has very little effect on mileage. The tires are what matters. You coulda kept the lift and got a set of smaller tires and keep 2 sets.
but that looks silly. Look at Black Pwrstroke's truck :look::wiggle:

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
So, how much you looking for on the lift. Is everything there? U-bolts, blocks, ect?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
05-07 4x4 diesel only. Yes everything is there. the 35x12.50's fit fine stock, don't need the 4" lift for them... and if I get smaller tires then there is really NO need for the lift, and i will look absolutely retarded. and won't be able to park it in the garage.= not worth it. glad I took it off. I'm seriously debating a set of "MPG" tires and a set of "off-road" tires. But with my luck, I'll be 100 miles from home and need the mud set. but if I did that... I'd get a pretty aggressive off-road tire in a 35x12.50 size. Eh, either way I like my Lariat 20's with 35" AT Procomp Xtremes. Best of both worlds. Tonneau cover is next... I don't tow, and if I did , 6k would be pushing max, so I'm debating a electric fan kit. But I don't want to void my warranty either.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
but that looks silly. Look at Black Pwrstroke's truck :look::wiggle:

It's also silly to take a lift off, keep the same size tires and expect MPG's to improve.:crazy:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts